I am making a new beam for my old White (MTD) vert/horz 22 ton splitter. I am thinking about the primary wedge angle. I cut the tail of the beam at a 5° angle thinking it would lessen the forces by using a shearing action. The wedge, as is, would 14" above the top of the I beam (6" of the 20" welded to tail of beam). I am making a slip-over 4 way style wedge that will be secured in position with the horizontal wings attached in a "swept forward" position, trailing the primary wedge, again to lessen forces. Sorry for the orientation, it should be horizontal or rotated counter clockwise. The push plate will be 10" tall and 9-¼" wide. I am now wondering if slight angle will cause a log to tip up as it contacts the wedge. All these ideas can be easily modified at this point, nothing has been welded yet. Thoughts?
I'm no engineer.. but I also think it would add an upward deflection once the round contacts. Would it be an issue.. I've no clue Will your ram attachment point be at the center of the 10" tall plate? I've thought of a similar scenario.. but I think unless the torque is centered with the pusher plate, you'll be adding a lot of angular momentum. If the plate is physically confined to the beam, you've added a serious pressure/failure point. If free floating, then the round may still float upwards. Your ram if solidly mounted could actually be bent under too much pressure. I am trying to think of a similar set up myself. Once again.. Not an enjinear
Going for something similar to this but not as big and fast for now. Close to center for cylinder attach point. This dude is close enough to me that I will be contacting him to take a peek at his homebuilt splitter.
Very nice design.. and he's addressed the torque issues already Edit.. More appropriately.. the angular momentum issues. That's what was bending things. But.. it seems to me he's overcoming the initial (minor) design flaws by beefing it up.