In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's on the grill or smoker?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Genius, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Warner

Warner

Sean, Chaz, NortheastAl and 3 others like this.
  2. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

yea.. yea... I did that on purpose...:rofl: :lol:

eatonpcat, Sean, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  3. Warner

Warner

F66EC86C-17E3-4514-8EE1-3E09F20CC44E.jpeg Cheating on the gas tonight!

4. BDF

BDF

Just picked up a small tri- tip tonight. Going to smoke and sear it tomorrow.

Side note: beef is still pretty high in price although the supply looks better than it has in the last couple of months; this based on one small store so not really an evaluation.

Brian

5. fuelrod

fuelrod

Yeah, I wish my 12 burgers (above) were 12 steaks :thumbs:.

6. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I’ve noticed that it still is higher even though no More shortages. I guess we’ve got to get used to higher prices for beef. I think if it gets any higher I’ll buy it in bulk from the local raisers. All grass fed and getting to be not much more expensive.

7. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    NortheastAl, Im seeing brisket for $50-$70 for 14 lbs. The pic of the pork belly nestled up against the brisket is just because. Also quality cut steaks are very expensive here.

Attached Files:

8. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

We had plenty of left overs...Im enj8 them this week.

9. BDF

BDF

I just lean (no pun intended) toward pork and away from beef. My wife is a big fan of chicken, and that is still readily available at the old prices, so we eat a fair amount of that too. Beef is higher in price across the board starting with the cheapest cuts such as ground beef, beef tips and so forth- all seem to be up about 2$ a pound. Decent steak seems to be up more like 5$ / pound though the prices are really all over the place, other than inexpensive. I have mostly given up on ribs though with baby backs at $5 / pound, coupled with bone and some waste that is just too much for me to pay for ribs. Besides that, I basically overdosed on them after buying a smoker so I just do not have the urge anyway.

Not complaining though, meat in general is readily available and occasionally the 'cheaper' cuts are sort of cheap still.

Brian

10. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

My Boss just bought a 10 lb and a 15lb Brisket...10 lb/50.00 15lb/80.00 Different stores.

Sean, Chaz, SKEETER McCLUSKEY and 4 others like this.
  11. BDF

BDF

Well, smoked the tri- tip with mixed results. Flavor was great but it was a bit chewy with a pinkish center. I think this may be more of a grilling meat for me. Going to cut the piece I have in half and grill it to make it a bit firmer (Easy Boys!).

In an odd way, it is almost like roast beef and might be good if sliced thin enough but without a slicing machine, it is just a bit 'squishy' for my tastes.

Brian

12. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Wow, that’s getting up there in price. I think a couple weeks ago that brisket was $3.69-3.99 US a pound. Not long ago it was $2.69 a pound.

13. Eckie

Eckie

Brisket at our walmart had been at least $4.69ish/lb for a while, but hadn't seen any in a couple of months. Couple of weeks ago I noticed the tag on the case said $3.49 per pound. Meat guy was working the case nearby so I asked him which price was right. He scanned, said the $4.69 was right, and asked which one (there were only 2) i was interested in, and said "I think you'll like it." So I picked what i thought was the better of the two, he scanned again and printed out a yellow tag. Ended up getting it for about $28, less than $2/lb. I couldnt argue with that!

Happened to look in the case when I went by today, they were under $3/lb, I think 2.69ish. Hopefully that will continue.

metalcuttr, Chvymn99, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  14. BDF

BDF

Split the smoked tri- tip and grilled it; liked it much better a little more done and with a sear on both sides. Interesting cut of beef, very lean but streaked with narrow lines of fat. I think I will try this again.

BTW: went off to two more stores today, while out running other errands. Picked up some really nice NY Strip steaks for $8/ lb. and some beautiful bone-in Ribeyes for $6 / lb.! Yesterday I guess we were a day early and a dollar too much 'cause this beef was excellent and was going at Feb. 2020 prices. Also grabbed 1/2 pork loin, beef tips and a pile of chicken wings, all at great prices.

15. BDF

BDF

Tonight pork chops marinated in roasted garlic teriyaki and smoked / roasted potatoes and onions. A very simple thing we like a lot! The chops are done on the sear box and the potatoes and oinions on the smoker set on 'massive flame'. :)

Pork chops, smoked potatoes and onions.JPG

Brian

16. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

That sounds great. :drool:

17. BDF

BDF

Chicken breasts (bone- in), smoked and then grilled.

Chicken breasts- bone in- smoked and grilled.JPG

A few more minutes and they all had a nice crust / char.

eatonpcat, Eckie, metalcuttr and 6 others like this.
  18. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

We didn't cook it, but took my hunny to a great Italian place for dinner, same place we almost started supplying oak wood for this beautiful oven. 0827201843.jpg 0827201844_HDR.jpg

19. Warner

Warner

Jalapeño’s and banana peppers! You like it spicy in the south!

20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Only 1/2 spicy...my hunny didn't want to tackle the jalapenos