In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Snag da shag

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jo191145, Aug 16, 2020.

  1. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,427
    Location:
    Ct
    Temps dropped from insidiously hot to much better than insidiously hot. Must’ve missed the rain forecast. Oh well. Found some Facebook shag and went at it. It’s so fresh it’s still wet LOL
    Come home to no power again. Must mean it’s nap time.
    oh yeah. Tossed in a little cherry pic too.

    B5840A56-AF3B-4E71-8DDB-E44B403DB069.jpeg D17D385A-1038-40A8-BC43-BCD9652D6F1C.jpeg C6B27841-8E40-4152-A385-CBB8D87B6F42.jpeg 2B7599AE-7F4E-4AE6-9291-E52BAE2BEED0.jpeg A59356BB-42FA-4132-94EC-83EF073048A5.jpeg
     
  2. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,979
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Ya gonna save some of that shag for smoking purposes, or is it all stove bound?
     
  3. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,427
    Location:
    Ct
    Don’t have a smoker. Been considering it. Saw another FB ad for a Bradford pear that came down. Should have jumped. Can’t find it anymore. Someone else must’ve got it.
     
  4. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,551
    Likes Received:
    67,751
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    That's a lot of hickory! Glad the weather here finally broke too. I've got a 15" DBH hickory at home I've been slowly working on. Most of the limbs I cut along with the upper part of the trunk but the spar is still upright. I figured any shorties I end up with I can cut into cookies and make chips from there. Maybe save a few pieces for tool handles as well.
     
  5. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,427
    Location:
    Ct
    I’ll pick up the branches tomorrow. Had enough fun for one day.
    Do smokers use bark on or bark off?
     
  6. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,551
    Likes Received:
    67,751
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Bark off is best. No weird mossy flavors that way. Did you find bucking that stuff was hard on your chain? This was my first experience cutting hickory.
     
  7. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,427
    Location:
    Ct
    Well it was hard to cut. My chain grind seems to be happier with oak. Just a touch aggressive for this shag. I only cut a little of it. Trimmed the logs to 10 feet. The branches I’ll just chop up and toss in the trailer.

    I was using my 550 Xp that I converted to 3/8”s chain. It zipped through that cherry real nice this morning but the shag will stall it out easy enough if you push at all.
     
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,880
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Awesome Joe. I wouldve hoarded in the rain for that too! How close to home? The rig working okay?
    It is nice and cool. No firewooding here today. Jonesing to go out and split in the rain!
     
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  9. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,551
    Likes Received:
    67,751
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Maybe that's what it is, too steep a front clearance angle. I never could file a chain consistently and I don't have a machine to grind it. I've had good luck lately using a carbide burr inside an air tool. I wonder if a semi-chisel tooth chain would hold up any better on these harder woods?
     
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,880
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Ive found hickory bark, regardless of type, is tough on chains. It is some tough stuff. I run full chisel chain most of the time. Cuts faster but on the flip side dulls faster!
     
  11. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,427
    Location:
    Ct
    Trailers working fine. Haven’t changed the rope out yet. Wasn’t expecting to use it and I’m lazy :)
    That pic I just sent you,,,,, I inadvertently hit the “Is this still available” button. Guy responded back right away. Long shot but I might have hit on a BL score. Tree guy that has no more room. Says he has a job coming up with big BL trees.
    I offered to come pick them up for him. I’m such a nice guy :)
    Probably won’t happen but he’s considering it.
     
    Screwloose, Midwinter, mat60 and 6 others like this.
  12. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,427
    Location:
    Ct
    I bought a chinese knockoff grinder. Throw the pink wheels in the trash and spend the big bucks on metal wheels. Works pretty good. Being lazy I’m searching for one set of angles I can use on all my chains. Mostly full chisel.
    As I mentioned to Brad the other night my last attempt was way too aggressive. Set the 372 on an oak log and it’ll pull you right over the top LOL. I’ve backed off on that a bit. Maybe just a bit more?
     
  13. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,979
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    I've done both, but bark off is definitely a more consistent flavor.

    I've also used straight bark before, that adds a lot of bite.

    Perhaps you can sell some to a smokehouse near you.

    CAD cash
    :makeitrain":makeitrain"
     
  14. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,880
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    How'd you find out about this? Close to home?
     
  15. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,427
    Location:
    Ct
    That pic I sent you was from a FB ad. I mistakenly hit the automatic reply. Got to chattin with the fellow. He knows it’s good wood but is running out of room to put it ;)

    edit: You thinking it’s Ron’s friend? That would be a hoot now wouldn’t it. He didn’t say where this job is.
     
  16. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,880
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Oh in the text. If thats what he gots then goes an' gets it. Ill go with you.
    Im experienced with winch in/winch out! :rofl: :lol: ;)
     
  17. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,427
    Location:
    Ct
    LMAO
    Hey it’s a tough job but somebodies gotta do it.
    Might even graduate ya to tong on and tong off. :)
    Yeah you had better go. It’s your damm wood LOL
     
  18. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Shag picks up silica same black locust. Hard on chains for sure.
    Nice scores jo191145 :yes:
     
  19. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,880
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    ???my wood??? Im confused?

    I didnt see your edit. It would be a hoot if it was
     
  20. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,880
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut