In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Woodstock Survival Hybrid - looking for input

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Longsnowsm, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Longsnowsm

Longsnowsm

I am about to build a small cabin that will be around 800sf. I saw that the Woodstock Survival Hybrid did really well in the 2020 EPA efficiency testing and emissions. So I am trying to find out who has one and if this stove is able to reasonably do an all night burns. The cabin will have closed cell foam insulation so the cabin will be pretty tight and built with 2x6 construction. If there are any other stoves I should be considering for small spaces and decent burn times please feel free to chime in with suggestions. Thanks!

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

The Survival, Absolute, or Fireview should be way more than enough stove with sprayed-in foam insulation.
    You should figure on an Outside Air Kit.
    (OAK) to give the stove plenty of combustion air

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

comanche79p knows about heating a cabin insulated with spray foam...doesn't take much.

4. moresnow

moresnow

Take a peek at the Blaze King options in there 20 series size. My home is very similar size and heats well with the Blaze King Sirocco 20. I do not have the level of insulation you will by a long shot! Hearthstone Green Mountain 40 is a new model but sounds to be worth a peek as well from a early report.
    Any of the above recommendations are rather well respected catalyst equipped, long burn stoves.

5. RGrant

RGrant

Have one. Love it.
    I burn around the clock in late fall and through the winter, and I've never had to get up in the middle of the night to reload it. 1200 sq ft home.

Maina, Chaz, Backwoods Savage and 3 others like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I agree with Tim.

We have the Fireview and love it. I'm not a big fan of the survival stove buy it should work out well in your case.

7. fox9988

fox9988

Good luck finding any stove that doesn't over heat you. I heat 1536 sqft with 2x4 walls and blown in cellulose, south of you. Luckily my stained concrete floor is a good heatsink. Three small spits of oak on low burn can be too much.
    Depending on how often you'll be heating it, an infrared with a 100 lb propane tank might last for years. They're cheap too.

8. comanche79p

comanche79p

Spray foam will reduce your heating requirements a lot, or at least mine did. But, I grew up in houses without any insulation.

Maina, Chaz, Longsnowsm and 1 other person like this.
  9. Longsnowsm

Longsnowsm

I am just battling getting the cabin now. Covid and riots has everything jacked up from backing up work to now strangling supplies of everything. I think I have the builder lined up, but tells me they need me to build a pad that is somewhat level. I have too much grade for the build apparently. So now I am trying to track down someone with a bulldozer and track hoe to clear the site and to build the pad. This is easier said than done right now. I have Penny lined up at Woodstock with my quote on the stove, but looks like things will slip due to the logistics getting the place built. I will keep you guys posted and post pics. I think it sounds like the Navajo/Survival stove will work well for my planned small place. Thanks for everyone's feedback. I have been doing a lot of clearing of brush and dead standing, and some cases live standing off the property and have a lot more to do. Just dragging stuff up and making a wood lot right now. Looking forward to trying out the log splitter. Gotta get some woodshed space built here! :D

Chaz, Ohio, TurboDiesel and 2 others like this.
  10. Todd

Todd

Take a look at the jotul 602. Im heating a 800 sq ft log cabin with it and it does quite well.

Chaz and Longsnowsm like this.
  11. Rich L

Rich L

What kind of cold are you dealing with ?

Chaz and Ohio like this.
  12. Longsnowsm

Longsnowsm

Missouri Ozarks(South western portion of the state). Will be my first winter here, but weather data shows it can get cold here during a hard winter, but last winter my neighbor tells me it was mild, almost no winter. So anything goes here from what I gather. I am told of some pretty bad ice storms that happened a number of year back and treed were down everywhere and power was out for almost 3 weeks is what I am told.

Chaz, TurboDiesel, Ohio and 1 other person like this.
  13. Highbeam

Highbeam

3 weeks! If you know it’s going to be that long that’s one thing but otherwise folks wouldn’t ration properly and run out of supplies and fuel.

Wow. People could die.

Chaz, TurboDiesel and brenndatomu like this.
  14. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Only if they're too lazy to save themselves.

Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  15. Longsnowsm

Longsnowsm

Well thankfully that was a freak occurrence on the massive ice storm. But that is what they tell me the grid power was down for 3 weeks because of that ice storm. They talk about the number of trees that were down on the roads and having to cut and clear the side roads so they could get out to the highway/main roads. It sounds like it was pretty rough. Thankfully country people are resourceful. Local power company coop was up to their eyeballs in down lines trying to get lines repaired. It is stuff like this and makes you think hard about being sustainable. I have only had one power outage so far since being out here due to severe weather for about 6 hours with tornadoes in the area, but it was enough to make me immediately order a manual well pump so that water will be available if the power grid is down and I had that installed.

Wood is a godsend for heat here and yet there are not that many people that heat with wood. It was a factor when buying land to make sure I have enough wood that I won't be worried about winters and staying warm provided I have the ability to cut, split, stack, store, and burn wood. So the next challenge will be to get my wood shed and storage built and start building my wood supply.

I can say that people out here in the country do tend to look after each other and make sure that people are taken care of if they need something. It is an alternate universe from city and high density people centers. I have had really good experiences with the rural setting and living so far. It is more like life should be, and can be for those who seek this kind of life. I already wouldn't trade this for town/city life again. Raising some chickens that are about to be shown the real world outside next week and go out on pasture. Fixing fences and will soon have sheep on the land to help keep ahead of the growth, brush, and undergrowth. I have a wood stove that I bought a few years ago(NC30) that has been waiting for me to get moved out here so I can finally get that put into the barn. So that will be yet another project to try and get done this year before it gets too cold. More projects than time, but life is good. Downsizing to a modest more sustainable way of life is the goal here.

Ohio, Chaz, Highbeam and 1 other person like this.
  16. fox9988

fox9988

I'm in Northwest AR, probably not far from you.Yes, the winters have been mild for the last several years.
    I remember those ice storms. I was out of electricity for 12 days in '01 and 17 days on '09 (IIRC). Trees were absolutely destroyed everywhere. I hope to never see that again.

Longsnowsm likes this.
  17. Longsnowsm

Longsnowsm

Thanks for the additional confirmation on the ice storms. I had heard it from several people here so I was pretty sure they weren't pulling my leg about it. The mild winters here have made the ticks, and other insect problems a lot worse. Since I am starting from scratch here I wouldn't mind another mild winter this year while I try to get the basics in place.... Which means hold onto your hat it is gonna be one heck of a winter.... LOL

18. Longsnowsm

Longsnowsm

I was looking at the Jotul last evening to see the specs, but looks like they only advertise a 5hr burn time. I am looking for something capable of doing all night burn in a small stove. It does not appear the 602 is able to do that. I watched a few videos on it and it appears that it has the right size, but burn times would be an issue. That is a very attractive stove however! If there are other small stoves out there that can do all night burns please chime in and let me know. So far the Survival model appears to be one of the few I have run across in a small footprint able to do it. Thanks!

Ohio and brenndatomu like this.
  19. Todd

Todd

It seems everyone has a different definition of burn time. I have found the advertised 5 hour burn time of the 602 to be pretty accurate if you think of it more as a 5 hr useful heat output. As far as having coals left to throw a few splits on and take off in the morning I had a consistant 7-9 hour burn time all last Winter but the stove wasnt putting out useful heat, just a luke warm stove. My cabin retains the heat pretty well so the 5hrs of useful heat works well for me.

After owning 3 Woodstock stoves in the past I looked hard at the Survival but couldn't get over the looks in the end. Im sure its a fine stove and will work well for your situation.

You may also want to look into the small Blaze Kings, they will give the best burn times but may take up a little more space than a 602 or Survival. The Morso 2b is another nice looking small stove but not sure about it's true burn times.

Longsnowsm likes this.
  20. fox9988

fox9988

Woodstock Keystone and Palladium.
    Blazeking Sirocco 20 and 30. Oddly, the 30 burns lower in the lab tests.

chance04, Highbeam and Longsnowsm like this.