In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cherry?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by BCB, Aug 1, 2020.

  1. BCB

    BCB

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2014
    Messages:
    1,310
    Likes Received:
    6,764
    Location:
    USA
    Picked up a small load. I’m thinking it’s cherry but something isn’t sitting right w me. What’s your guess?

    FA02927B-1880-42AC-9A66-7FFC71739028.jpeg E7969478-B2AE-4674-AD6B-4D3514F65E24.jpeg 87EDDC66-A0FA-4E3B-BE93-4D83D0EE313A.jpeg
     
  2. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    It’s cherry alright. Wild or hybrid.
    Split and stack it.
    Nice score.
    :yes:
     
  3. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    Cherry is one of my favorite firewood’s. Nice score!!!
     
  4. definitely cherry
     
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,742
    Likes Received:
    214,859
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
  6. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,978
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    If BCB don't mind, I'm gonna tag this here.. I think this is cherry, but would like further input.

    20200808_161529_HDR.jpg
     
    JoeinO, BCB, amateur cutter and 5 others like this.
  7. jrider

    jrider

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2018
    Messages:
    6,088
    Likes Received:
    42,848
    Location:
    NJ
    Looks like it could be. You will know for sure when you cut it and it’s red inside
     
  8. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,978
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Cool.. I don't have much cherry here.. this is a dead leaner
    :yes:
     
  9. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,742
    Likes Received:
    214,859
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Yup thats cherry. Always cool to find a rare wood in your area thats common in other parts of the country. You harvesting that soon Chaz for this burning season?
     
  10. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,978
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Not sure exactly when I'll be bringing it down to the house, but within the next few weeks I'd imagine.

    The dead ash I dropped a few weeks ago landed on it and finished it.

    Went for a nice ride through the woods today, figure I've got hopefully about 2.5 cord of wood to salvage.
    :yes:

    :saw::woodsign:
     
  11. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,479
    Likes Received:
    113,742
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Yep .... Chaz .... save some of that back for the smoker... cheese this winter would be a nice pairing....
     
  12. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,978
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    :drool::drool:

    I don't think I'll be able to do it as well as you, but I'll surely try.
    :yes:

    Guess I'm gonna have to run some vegetable oil through the saw, or bust out the sawzall
    :dremel:
     
    JoeinO and Chvymn99 like this.
  13. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,479
    Likes Received:
    113,742
    Location:
    KC Metro
    sawzall does just fine... especially on the branches.. split up with a hammer & hatchet...
     
    JoeinO and Chaz like this.