In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

An interesting project

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Jul 27, 2020.

  1. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    I have an older lean to I built probably around 2012. Its 20' L x 12' W. It has served its purpose, but the ceiling height is too low, and the footprint isn't big enough. I got the materials for free, so I can't complain. Fast forward to 2020, after drawing up different designs multiple, multiple times, I decided to tear down the existing lean to (3 walls and roof), extend the pad, and build higher walls with a traditional gable roof. That isn't the interesting project though.


    In thinking about the old roof, which is still in good shape, I can't bring myself to cut it up and dispose of it. Therefore, I've decided to "attempt" to move it to another location on the property, in one piece, and attach it to the barn as a lean-to. The barn is about 150-175 feet from its current location.

    Here is the lean-to roof, after walls removed, and roof temporarily supported.

    [​IMG]

    Of course, the exact spot where the middle sonotube will need to go is exactly where this pine tree is.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    In order to cut the Pine tree, the overflow "woodshed" has to be moved. In order to be moved, it has to be emptied, in order to be emptied, I need another place to put the wood. Hence the recent woodshed extension which was on my projects list for awhile anyways.

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  2. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    So now that the wood has been relocated, I plan to move the makeshift woodshed, cut the tree, dig out the stump, dig my 3 sonotubes, pour them, and when I get ready to frame the other building I will "attempt" to move the roof over to this barn which will have a 2x10 ledger just below the soffit. The low end height under the beam will be right at 7'. I'll install the 2 ply beam and 3 posts to support the roof. I "hope" to utilize fork extensions on my Kioti. If need be, I'll strip the roof to reduce the weight. Its about 2.5 square of shingles, which is about 600-650 lbs.
     
  3. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,556
    Likes Received:
    67,793
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    That IS an interesting project. Looks like it'll be a great setup by the time you're through, and well worth the aggravation. What were your thoughts on moving the roof in one piece? On that trailer supported with 4 x4s or with fork extensions on a backhoe or something?
     
  4. Chazsbetterhalf

    Chazsbetterhalf

    Joined:
    May 18, 2018
    Messages:
    6,010
    Likes Received:
    39,593
    Location:
    Ny
  5. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass

    My thoughts are....

    My Kioti is rated to lift 2761 lbs full height. Of course that figure is somewhat meaningless as its at the pin, and when you account that the roof is about 13' x 20'. The weight will be way out, so essentially a huge lever. Maybe an engineer here can translate the force differences as you go out each additional foot. In real world experience, I have used fork extensions with my Kioti to move this chicken coop. This coop is solidly built. 2x8 floor joists, 2x4 walls, 2x6 rafters. I basically drove the trailer to where the coop was going, picked the coop up off the trailer a few inches, drove the trailer away, lowered it to within a foot or so of the ground, backed up about 10 feet and lowered the coop in place. I don't think I could have driven any considerable distance with it. Even with a rear weight box on the three point, and filled rear tires, the 7k lb tractor had a rear tire off the ground.

    [​IMG]


    Since then, I have added another couple hundred lbs to the weight box

    [​IMG]

    I still have doubts that it will work. Its too awkward an object. My real options are to use my fathers JD310 backhoe. It doesn't have any forks, but it is rated to lift about 6k. It weighs probably 2.5 times what my Kioti weighs.

    Or....

    Cut the roof into two pieces and re-attach afterwards. This option involves more work and wont be as strong.
     
  6. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    Another option is to lower it onto a flatbed, drive it to the barn and pick it up.
     
  7. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    According to the engineers toolbox, the 1/2" plywood is about 40 lbs/sheet, and the 13' 2x8's should be about 35 lbs/board.

    So...

    40x8=320 lbs
    35x15=525 lbs

    The structure wthout shingles should be about 850-900 lbs. With shingles about 1450-1500 lbs.
     
  8. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Sounds like the snow ball effect you have going on there. One thing leads to another.

    You are ambitious I will say that. Wish I had your energy.
     
  9. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Make up some brackets extending up from the Kioti, drive under roof to be moved, attach brackets to said roof, like a giant Kioti covered cab, drive roof to new location.
    :D
    :whistle:
    :rofl: :lol:
    :thumbs:
     
  10. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,635
    Location:
    Vermont
    I thinking this option has best % chance of success.
     
  11. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,127
    Likes Received:
    163,290
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    You forgot the part where you take the tire pressure down to 5 PSI, drive under, re-inflate to lift....then reverse order once in place :D

    Nah, I was thinking you could use the loader to lower the roof and put some dolly wheels under the 2 outside corners...maybe some old trailer axles or something like that? Then use the loader to push/guide/carry the whole thing to its new home
     
  12. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,127
    Likes Received:
    163,290
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Or back a flatbed trailer (car trailer?) under the roof, stack pallets on the trailer until they are up to roof height, jack roof, one more layer of pallets, drive away.
     
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,765
    Likes Received:
    215,029
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Can you fell the pine and leave a tall stump as a support post rather than go through all the trouble of stump removal, digging for sonotube, pouring concrete? Would make for an interesting conversation piece, not too mention it would look pretty cool!
     
  14. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,127
    Likes Received:
    163,290
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    One of the guys at work just built a pole barn using dead pine trees as the poles...he said it turned out great...but he is also kind of a goob so...I haven't seen it, but I doubt it works out well in the long term...:picard:
     
  15. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    I like that idea. My vote goes for you.
     
  16. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    I thought about that. There are a few problems. The Pine tree is 16-17" at the base, and has a decent flared root on the barn side, so Id loose quite a bit of space. It would eventually rot. Its not dead center where the middle pier would go, its prob off 12", and lastly I may want to pour a concrete pad someday. Pine stumps pop out pretty easy, shallow roots.
     
  17. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,635
    Location:
    Vermont
    I use this method to put my chains on back tires in fall.
     
  18. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    I got the Pine tree down and bucked up.

    [​IMG]

    Cleaned up the area around it a little bit. I hope to dig it out fairly soon and pour the three sonotubes for the roof beam to post down to.

    [​IMG]

    The pile I ended up with. I'd guess its 1/2-2/3 of a cord

    [​IMG]
     
  19. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,765
    Likes Received:
    215,029
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    What was the DBH? (diameter breast height) The cordage yield can be determined if known.
    I often refer to this chart. Found it to be pretty accurate
    Estimating Firewood from Standing Trees - UC ANR
     
  20. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    Thanks Brad!!!

    This tree at 4.5' was 16" DBH. According to the chart, it should be .5 cords, which sounds about right.