In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fun to Watch!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jul 24, 2020.

  1. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,893
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I pull into the job im doing today and parked behind this. No its not my new hoarding trailer, although the thought did cross my mind. IMG_2806.JPG No one around, no saws running. I asked the homeowner and she said they are working just around the corner. I had to go check it out of course. Three guys taking lunch. Big crane and mini skidder. Asked about wood and they are keeping it. Deck of trunks and pile of tops and limbs. Clearing the whole area behind all the mobile homes. Lots of work ahead of them.
    Later watched as the crane boomed out, grabs a huge limb, saw cut it and he pulls it away like its nothing. I guess a feller buncher on the end of it. Ground guy with radio guiding him in the crane. Tried to get video, but my camera overheated in the cab and wouldnt work. Pics i got were after they left. Quite an operation. I couldve spent the afternoon watching it! FHC spectator sport?! IMG_2807.JPG IMG_2808.JPG
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Woodwidow, Winston, Skier76 and 12 others like this.
  2. Eric Wanderweg

    Eric Wanderweg

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2020
    Messages:
    8,551
    Likes Received:
    67,755
    Location:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Sometimes I get to thinking I know a thing or two about tree work, then I watch guys like these and I'm instantly humbled. I'm so small in the game, all I ever get are the table scraps :)
     
    Horkn, Backwoods Savage, Chaz and 6 others like this.
  3. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,841
    Likes Received:
    114,729
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    I could and have spent time watching tress services do their thing. I try to pick up tips on how and how not to do things.
     
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,893
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    The crane was very impressive. Huge out riggers. Not like your typical knuckle boom with a guy in a bucket. No saw or chipper running. Just the saw on the end of the crane and the mini skidder. All automated.
     
  5. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    The machines that they use are what amazes me and makes it interesting to see them in action.
     
  6. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Cool stuff. :salute:

    Too bad ya didnt get it all.:picard: Shoulda smooshed them with a case a beer Brad. :rofl: :lol: :coldone:
     
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,893
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Nah. It was too hot, no room in the PU and no saw. Plus it was oak which i dont want in quantity any more. I did offer to pick something for them when i ran after some material.
     
  8. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,979
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Oh.. to be so fortunate
    :yes:

    I've got next to no oak on the property
    :confused:
     
  9. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    None around here also Chaz.:whistle:
     
  10. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,979
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Want me to send ya some acorns??

    In 50 years or so, you'd have some nice oaks
    :hair:
    :BrianK:

    Edit.. Guess that'd put us on the 53 year plan
    :faint:
     
  11. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Chances are i'm good for another 3 but send em and we'll give it a whirl. :coldone:
     
  12. Chaz

    Chaz

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2018
    Messages:
    8,741
    Likes Received:
    61,979
    Location:
    Southwestern NY
    Brad, I think you really need that signage on the back of your truck
    :thumbs:
     
  13. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,156
    Location:
    Central MI
    Operations like that are neat and also make you realize why they have to charge the prices they do.
     
    Winston, Chaz, Mag Craft and 4 others like this.
  14. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,893
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I found these in the yard i scrounged some oak last Fall. Thats a quarter for scale
    IMG_0914.JPG
    One was an 1 1/2" diameter IMG_0915.JPG
    I dont often brag about the size of my nuts!
     
  15. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,893
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    I dont wanna draw that much attention to myself when scrounging, although it would be nice for safety.
     
  16. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,427
    Location:
    Ct
    I still say they should build a large splitter on those things. Cut, split and drop right into a box truck. Chip the leftovers. Conceivably a one man operation and no more time consuming than cutting and loading stuff on the ground. But that’s just me :)
     
  17. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,453
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    That's how the crew that took down the 2 ash trees of my neighbors did it. Quite slick. They pulled the logs for me to cut and take, and the took the branches and brush.

    I've got a thread somewhere on it.
     
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  18. Skier76

    Skier76

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    17,012
    Location:
    CT and SoVT
    Wow! That's a big crane! Most of the services usually run a National Crane rig. That one is another level!
     
  19. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,453
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    The tree service that did my neighbor's 2 ash that used a machine like that were 1500 a tree less money than the crews that were going to take them down by climbing and chunking it down. 1k a tree vs 2500 each. Granted, I probably helped my neighbor out substantially by telling him I'll take all the wood. They just left it on 8-12' logs and stacked them for me. Saved his crew a lot of time, and the neighbor a lot of $$. Me getting a couple cords of wood was really nice too:) That said, not having anyone in harm's way up in the tree surely reduces the insurance costs.
     
  20. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,747
    Likes Received:
    214,893
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    What is your primary firewood species if little/no oak. I dont like the wait for it to dry.