In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Home fabbed front receiver and winch mount for the ranger

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Smokinpiney, Jul 4, 2014.

  1. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Did some fabbing today and made a front receiver/winch mount for our ranger. Started out by heating and bending some 3/16 flat stock to bolt behind the grill. Got that fitted snug then welded on a 2" receiver tube. Then I welded the winch mounting plate to an extra ball mount I had. Tomorrow I'll start on the wiring hopefully.
    KIMG0103.JPG KIMG0104.JPG KIMG0105.JPG
     
  2. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Good idea Smokin. Lots of other uses for the receiver too... cool.
     
  3. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,613
    Location:
    IN
    Very nice. I wish I had the tools and ability for metal fabrication. I'm jealous.
     
    papadave, cnice_37 and Stinny like this.
  4. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    If I can weld... anybody can... ;)
     
    papadave and Pallet Pete like this.
  5. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,613
    Location:
    IN
    I can stick two pieces of metal together but I wouldn't call it welding.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  6. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Nice work smokin!:thumbs:That will be handy to have.
     
  7. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    You sound like me... I can stick em together so they'll stay and I call that welding. But, the guys who can turn 2 pieces into one... they're welders... ;)
     
  8. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    Now that is slick!! :thumbs::cool:
     
    Stinny likes this.
  9. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Thanks guys! Got a it wired up this morning with a wireless remote. Still have to order two sets of quick connects so it can be used front and rear. Now it's time to go pull some stuff and put it to the test. ;)

    KIMG0106.JPG
     
    Pallet Pete and Stinny like this.
  10. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Very cool! Maybe I'll do that to my k1500! That's a great way to mount a winch and make it removable!
     
    Stinny likes this.
  11. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Nice work :thumbs:
     
  12. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Well so far all the welds held. I winched my 4x4 2500 dodge diesel uphill as a test. I figger if it could pull that sucker it'd be fine pullin some logs or me out of a mudhole. Go big or go home right? :cool:
     
    Pallet Pete, papadave and Stinny like this.
  13. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Or go broke lol!
     
    Stinny likes this.