In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

2. Warner

Warner

What’s up with pt lumber are they using it to make tp? Just went out to get material for project “evict kids junk from my garage”. Shelves in several big box stores are empty.

3. savemoney

savemoney

Rumor has it that lumberyards were deemed "non essential" during the "make no sense" shut down phase of this pandemic. I'm betting those rules were not made by anyone with BO or dirty fingernails.

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Lumberyards, or lumbermills? Around here construction workers remained working and lumberyards open.

5. fishingpol

fishingpol

A cashier at HD said a lot of people were in over the weekend buying PT. Racks were empty here too. Lots of projects going on and folks not vacationing as much this summer.

6. Horkn

Horkn

7. Horkn

Horkn

Cat fried steak?

8. Horkn

Horkn

Great... :headbang:I'll have to check as I need more supplies for my wood shed. Working on that list as I had to re adjust what I was going to need, based on the lumber we already had at the cottage.

9. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Pullin stumps, I mean stump...I need a bigger tractor
    20200705_172341.jpg

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

On ummm lemonade and ice with just a few ounces of a clear mixer;):whistle:

11. bogieb

bogieb

Been that way for 3-4 weeks. Not just here but I know people who work for HD in NY who have had empty shelves for a while. From what I've heard, a combination between more people doing home projects and lumber operations not being essential businesses for some states (but not all - NH deemed them as critical).

12. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I was told by the guy at my local lumber yard that it was because trains were shut down, so the product wasnt flowing up north after treatment. I only use two types of wood for the wifes mud kitchens. 2X4 and 5/4X6, all PT. Ive been pulling my hair out trying to find lumber. I was able to get 2X4's at the local Lowes today, but last week I had to drive to a Lowes an hour away and bought all but one that was damaged of the 5/4X6X8 deck boards they had left in stock. They showed 400, but had 54 left when I got there. I would have bought 100 otherwise since they are on sale.

13. fishingpol

fishingpol

I have to ask my BIL if the local lumberyards are the same as the box stores.

14. fishingpol

fishingpol

Nice way to end the weekend.

20200705_184635.jpg

15. Chaz

Chaz

16. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

My wife and I just got back from our off grid cabin at our property up north.

upload_2020-7-5_18-32-9.png
    We had a visitor Friday morning around 7:30 AM.

upload_2020-7-5_18-33-10.png
    Our road to the cabin lined with birch and sugar maple firewood seasoning nicely.
    The only work I did on firewood all week was using some to build a campfire.

17. Midwinter

Midwinter

Isn't PT overkill for these mud kitchens? Kids will probably outgrow them before they rot. Plus the potential toxicity, or perception of. Could you get away with regular lumber, and oil it or use a nontoxic stain?

18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

A day care would want it to last for several sets of kids.

I know they talk about toxicity, but that was fixed when they took out arsenic. I have a wood products minor (did nothing with it just took classes in school), but in school I had a professor that said the toxicity to a child was basically non existent. That a child would have to eat like 7 pounds of wood to get enough arsenic concentration to hurt them. He joked and said that if your kid is eating that much wood you have more problems than that.

He could use cedar but that would increase the cost.

19. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

We have people buying them that have children that vary from 1-7 years old. I have been told of kids that are 10 and still playing with them, so we wanted them to last, especially since we are selling them to schools. The ones that go to the schools are not getting the natural wood legs, only PT.

We looked into it as well, and found that it is safe. My kids huge swingset and connected play structure are made from PT as well.

20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

"WORD From The Woods" Weekly Devotional
    [​IMG]
    WORD From The Woods

Galatians 2:11-21

“But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. For before certain men came from James, he was eating with the Gentiles; but when they came he drew back and separated himself, fearing the circumcision party. And the rest of the Jews acted hypocritically along with him, so that even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy. But when I saw that their conduct was not in step with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, “If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?” We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified. But if, in our endeavor to be justified in Christ, we too were found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not! For if I rebuild what I tore down, I prove myself to be a transgressor. For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.”

There is a lot to talk about in this passage. We just saw Paul agreeing with Peter (aka Cephas) in the previous passage, but now Paul says he opposed Peter to his face. I'm not going to get into the reason for their disagreement since there is so much to talk about there, but the point is that Peter's conduct was not in step with the truth of the gospel. Paul says the Peter even led Barnabas astray by his hypocrisy. I think that we need to understand something very important from what transpired here. Paul and Peter were brothers in Christ and involved in ministry together. When Paul saw Peter falling into sin he confronted Peter about it, I'm sure from reading Paul's other letters that he did this out if love for his brother and from a desire to stand for the truth of the gospel. I believe, from what I've read in Acts, that Peter repented from his hypocrisy and he and Paul's relationship was restored. I believe that we a Christians need to be willing to both give and receive rebuke when we are involved in sinful behavior that is contrary of the gospel of truth. It's a sad state we are in as Christians when people aren't willing to come along side a fellow believer and confront them out of love, even if that happens, most of the time the person in sin isn't willing to accept the rebuke. The first thing people say is "judge not lest ye be judged!" A proper reading of scripture will teach us that though we aren't called to judge self-righteously, we are called to humbly and lovingly judge by a right standard. That right standard is the Holy Word of God! Paul goes on to explain that though we need to live according to God's word, we are not justified by doing the right things but by faith in Jesus Christ. He explains that because of the law and the fact that we all fall short of keeping the law we see how very much we need a savior. And in verse 20, (my favorite verse in the whole bible) Paul says that he gave his life for Christ and he no longer lives to serve himself by trying to be good enough for God, but he now lives to serve Christ in His grace! I love the last verse in this passage, Paul says there that if we were justified by doing good works then Christ died for no purpose! And my friends, Christ indeed died for a purpose, that purpose is was to take our place on the cross so that we could enter into His Kingdom and have everlasting life in Him!!

God bless and have a great week! -Terry-

savemoney, Marvin, Midwinter and 5 others like this.