In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Homesteading Any goat advice???

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by zymguy, Jun 25, 2020.

1. zymguy

zymguy

[​IMG]
    Got these three to help clean up the property. They are doing well ! I want to take the best care of them possible.
    I have a local vet I can and have been talking to , but if there are any enthusiastic teachers I’m all ears .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marvin, dgeesaman, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  2. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

FatBoy85 .... Sugarbug87 .... mike bayerl

3. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I wish I had more sound advice to give but I’m not too experienced in goats as a whole. You’ve got a nice bunch there. I hope when the vet was checking them out, they took fecal samples of them all. Just as a precautionary but they do look great! Pen goats or just house them in the barn when you’re done using them for the day?

4. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Provide water, clean water, let them browse. It is amazing what a group of goats can accomplish and what they will eat! We have a pickle vine that just wraps and can even cause corn stalks to break under the sheer weight. Our old billy goat loved it. The last would always be in the high tensile fence and he would take a bite and then shake his head as he got zapped by the electric fence. Pretty soon he would go back for another bite. Yep, check for worms and let 'em eat.

5. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

6. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I'm not calling you a dummy...:handshake:

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

farmer steve, Marvin, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  8. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

We raise sheep, which are similar but not the same. What gender are your goats? If male, intact or castrated? Are you planning to breed for meat/milk or just keep as companions and for vegetation management? Any other goals. They should be very low (but not zero) maintenance. As above, shelter, water, browse and minerals at a minimum. You may or may not need to supplement with hay or pellets, almost certainly over the winter in MN. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing how this works out for you. Best of luck.

9. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

P.S. If plan to breed, the level of maintenance goes up exponentially.

10. zymguy

zymguy

If the topic is goats , I AM a dummy

11. zymguy

zymguy

I don’t move them at all, they are free to roam within the moveable electric net, they always have access to go in the “ barn “ but i don’t make them or shut them in

12. zymguy

zymguy

They will be sold or sent to freezer camp this fall. I’m going to school and won’t be home to care for them

13. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

Worm them (feed the dewormer pellets or liquid. Pellets are easier). Buy a goat pail (has the minerals they need in it, including copper. Do NOT let sheep get into the goat pail, copper can kill them! Let them browse and graze, they prefer brushy stuff over nice grass. Have a bale of hay available in their barn in case they need some dry roughage. Buy a bag of goat feed, feed some at night before they go to bed. It helps getting them in at night. That should get you by til market time!

14. farmer steve

farmer steve

All good advice so far. Worming is the biggest thing you can do to prevent any issues. Like VOLKEVIN said some good quality goat feed and minerals. They look younger so they will be more susceptible to worms. Good luck!

15. Marvin

Marvin

Thanks for the heads up brenndatomu!

zymguy great advice here so far. The only other thing I would add is to keep some penicillin and thiamine on hand with some syringes. Maybe a pair of hoof trimmers if you're the diy type. At least check their hooves periodically. We have some whose hooves grow very quickly and others that don't.

Goats are pretty simple and pretty hardy. However they can go downhill very fast. If you notice something off they need treatment quick hence the penicillin and thiamine on hand. Read up a little on listeria and goat polio.

Best of luck to you on your new pet adventure. They really are fascinating creatures :dex:

Chaz, farmer steve, Chvymn99 and 2 others like this.
  16. Marvin

Marvin

After looking back at your pic good luck keeping them inside that fencing. As the old saying goes, if you throw water against a fence and it gets through, the fence will not keep a goat in :rofl: :lol:

Chaz, VOLKEVIN, farmer steve and 3 others like this.
  17. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

I literally have a “Houdini Goat.” I need to put a video camera on the goat pen, because I swear that thing could escape Leavenworth prison.

Chaz, brenndatomu, Marvin and 2 others like this.
  18. zymguy

zymguy

I’ve NOT been able to keep them in any of my fence variations . Fortunately they seem to prefer to stay close

Marvin, Chaz, farmer steve and 3 others like this.