In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Existing Masonry chimney repair and replacement.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Hoytman, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Hoytman

Hoytman

This thread is about just what the title says. It's not about Stainless Steel -vs- Masonry … it's about repairing and/or replacing an existing masonry chimney. Specifically, the liner itself, and lengthening the chimney at a minimum of one clay section, maybe two, but no more than three.

I may do the some of the work myself, but I may have a sweep to come in and finish it as well as extend the brick work. I could do it all, but I don't have time. I'm also going to have a sweep come and look at everything before I start, or before I let him start..

First important step is trying to match existing brick.

Any tips or suggestions for "this" job?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  2. coreboy83

coreboy83

Have a mason do the entire thing. We had ours completely re-done from the singles up (demo,clay flues, brick, poured cap), re-tucked the block in the garage, and repaired the firebox for the fireplace. Took him and his 18 yr old son 3 days.

brenndatomu likes this.
  3. Hoytman

Hoytman

I likely will let a sweep do the entire job...both chimney’s. I have too many other projects to work on that need my attention.

coreboy83 and Warner like this.
  4. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Go any pics? Why are you going taller? Is there potential to add another appliance in the future and if so would you want to make adjustments now for future use?

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and coreboy83 like this.
  5. Hoytman

Hoytman

Pics? Somewhere. No access to them right now. Likely already some on the forum somewhere.

No other appliances even if we stay.

The only reason I am doing this is we may sell this place in the next few years and I want all “i’s” dotted and “t’s” crossed come inspection time....not for me, but for the buyer. The chimney works fine for me, but a new owner may want more peace of mind.

The chimney is in the middle of the home. Is 10’ tall from thimble to the top of the chimney. It vents nearly 3ft above the peak of the roof. It drafts well now, but it could draft better. It will hold draft on a coal stove at 60F and hold the stove with pea coal at 200F with very little air going through the stove. I would liked to have out a manometer on it, but I didn’t get it in time before I shut the stove down.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    stuckinthemuck likes this.
  6. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

I was looking to match the brick for my chimney. I took a picture of the fireplace, took it to a masonry supply yard and asked them. I was asked what year my house was built and they advised that my bricks were likely produced in Colorado and showed me the match. Pretty easy. Whoever you work with should be able to figure it out.

7. moresnow

moresnow

And I just knocked my masonry chimney off the center of the house yesterday. And did it happily. damm thing was a leaker and I'd had enough of it! My new steel roof sure looks amazing today. Good luck with your project. Seems that its that time of year to get it done.

Highbeam likes this.