In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

damm log dam

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by EMPASam, Jun 24, 2020.

1. EMPASam

EMPASam

So the back property line at my place is a river (the good old Charles River for all you MA people). There was an oak tree that was huge and beautiful that leaned over the river but on Monday it stopped leaning. Violently lol. Now the entire river is impassable! It had a big crack but I didn't thnk the whole thing would go (after seeing the inside I get why it did). I figured it would have taken the entire bank with it. Here's some pictures but the definitely don't do it justice. Has to be 4.5-5 feet across at the base. That tree had been growing there a very long time.

The picture of the bank shows the big space left behind. You can see that little "spike" still standing that came from the back side of the trunk. 20200622_154253.jpg 20200622_154249.jpg 20200622_132853.jpg 20200622_132902.jpg 20200622_132801.jpg 20200622_154243.jpg 20200622_154246.jpg

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I hope you have a way of getting that out of there. Some good firewood there for sure. And yes, that is an effective river block.

3. EMPASam

EMPASam

It is lots of good wood for sure. Getting it out is the issue. The Charles river is very protected, technically can't do anything within 200 feet of it at all. Much of my property is grandfathered so I can keep it like it is but can't do more. In the 1930s it was apparently a vacation spot, there were little cabins on the property which was bigger at the time. They would come swim in the river and have summer vacation. Depending on what the mills up river were running determined what color people came out of the river stained (blue and yellow are the ones I have heard most stories of). I have what is essentially a grass beach on the river (I'll dig up some pictures). The rest of the river is all steep banks and very wooded almost the entire way to Boston Harbor. Its great because we have easy access for canoes and kayaks and the like. Makes easy fishing with little kids too. Now we just can't go down stream unless we drag the boat to the other side of the tree and find a put in spot.

Back to getting it out.... My neighbor and I may try to cut enough to at least make it passable. The thing is so big I would need a very big excavator to pluck it out and if anyone saw a picture of a machine that close to the water I would have the conservation people, state conservation and Army Corp of engineers (they are responsible for the river due to flood control) on my property real fast. Not anything I want to get involved with. Otherwise I think I am just going to have to let the river do its thing and take back the tree by good old mother nature.

4. EMPASam

EMPASam

My "beach". The water is way down this time of year. These were taken last spring when the water is at its highest.

20190423_163303.jpg 20190423_163252.jpg 20190423_163249.jpg 20190423_163110.jpg 20190423_163102.jpg 20190423_163100.jpg

5. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I'm thinking I'd cut it up into manageable size pieces and pull it out with a winch.
    You gotta at least try to keep it from flooding your property or rerouting the river into your property.

6. EMPASam

EMPASam

That's been one of our thoughts. Like I said, were hoping to get it at least partially open to minimize flooding. I think the other side of the river is a bit lower and more likely to flood so I am hoping that is the direction most will go. It's a little tough to tell because the water is so far down compared with it's highest. I think we might work on what was the top as that has potential to be more manageable even though its the "far side" of the river.

7. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:handshake:

8. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

If you can't get it out of the water, at least cut it up and the water will eventually carry it away.

9. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Will conservation or any those groups possibly help you out?

10. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

That was my thought too. If it falls under the jurisdiction of the Army Corps of Engineers, they are more than properly equipped to come pull it out of the river. Probably make a few cuts, attach steel cables to the pieces and drag them right out.

11. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

EMPASam , I agree with Eric Schamell and Chazsbetterhalf . If the Corps is responsible for flood control and you are "worried now about loss due to flooding and about people trespassing on your property to pull canoes or kayaks around the tree and causing more erosion", then contact them. Be sure to ask for an e-mail address to officially record your concerns (they may not like this so you should insist). Include a GPS LatLon for good measure. Even if you don't get a competent person, you will at least get a person who will want to cover his azz so I suspect you will at least get a proper response. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do indeed drag the tree out for you!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  12. Screwloose

Screwloose

If it's protected like others have said start calling and write down names with title, numbers and date and time. Mumble a bit out loud so you can say "sorry, I'm documenting who i talk to and when". At the very least get permission in writing even electronically to allow you to take care of it.

13. EMPASam

EMPASam

Thanks for the input. Not a bad idea. I typically operate under the idea that the less people (official people) that know anything the better because I worry that it will get people looking at other stuff and telling me I need to change something unrelated. That being said, I am guessing the CoE cares alot less about any of the other stuff than if I were to get conservation out. Food for thought.

One of the great things about where I live, even in the suburbs of Boston, is that all the neighbors operate the same way. I think I'll chat with them before I call anyone to keep everyone happy.

The crazy part of the whole thing is that all of us care just as much, if not more, about our land and conserving the wetland and the river than most. But typical bureaucracy creates headaches. and won't let reasonable decisions prevail.

14. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Yeah the Engineers are trained to worry about the task at hand, that's all. I guarantee you they won't be scoping out your property looking for things to bag you on. In my experience they're really reasonable people anyway. Years ago I was riding with a buddy down the railroad tracks. We ended up following some trails that brought us on to land patrolled by the Corps. Long story short, we were busted by a couple of them on patrol with ATVs, and after shooting the breeze with them they allowed us to push our bikes out to the nearest paved road and leave from there. No fines for trespassing, no impoundment. Nice down to earth guys.

15. fishingpol

fishingpol

Is the river regularly navigated by canoes and kayaks by others at that location? If so, is there a river trust organization that could look into it?

Maybe offer your property as a landing to put the logs if they get cut. I almost think it may be left there if no larger boat need to navigate it. Essentially, it now looks like a river crossing for a lot of wild animals.

16. chris

chris

-Tree is blocking a navigable waterway. It came from your property therefore you are responsible to correct it. This would be accompanied by another page listing various fines and such for failure to correct with in a time span or by a particular date. Typical Gov. action around me.

17. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We've cleared our share of Hemlocks out of the Brook but nothing that big. We do have a tractor (since 2016) which should make things easier if needed, yours will be some work but it can be done, good luck.

When I work in the Brook I run Canola Oil for bar oil.

18. jo191145

jo191145

You’ve got some great advice and one big job ahead of you LOL. It’s doable tho if you decide to tackle it yourself.
    Personally I’d tackle the trunk first. Heaviest and most cutting required. I’d be worried if I mess with the top the trunk might settle further into the water making it a harder job. Good luck.

19. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Are there many kayaks and canoes that go through that part of the Charles?

20. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Here in our area of Indiana, if a tree falls in the river, you don't touch it. Permission can be gotten, after a fashion, but pure trouble if you do it without permission. Good luck. Don't forget, if you double your line, you increase your pull.