In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

FBM Debacle!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by buZZsaw BRAD, Jun 21, 2020.

1. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

When scoring wood on either site, haste makes waste. I don’t fool around after the plan is made, typically it’s go time.

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Doesn't surprise me...many things with fakebook make no sense...I wish marketplace was not part of FB...I try to avoid FB and all their agenda...almost hard to avoid FB MP though since it seems CL is slowly dying...and almost no classified ads in the newspaper anymore...heck, almost no newspaper anymore!
    My dad is in his mid/late 70's and has had the local newspaper delivered to the house almost his whole life...he recently said that they quit subscribing since the paper has dwindled to just a few pages and the cost now outweighs its worth...the final straw was when they started badgering him to re-up his annual subscription payment every 11 months. It was pretty easy to keep track of because they always paid their yearly subscription in person at the newspapers display at the local county fair in September...every year. Then that paper was sold to a larger company, they soon started calling in August saying the bill was overdue...the next year was in July...after about 5-6 years of this nonsense he told 'em to pound salt.

3. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Craigslist has to do better to get rid of scammers. 3/4 of Craigslist replies are scams now

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

FB MP is full of scammers too, especially on higher value items like cars/trucks/tractors etc.
    You hardly see any private ads for vehicles on CL now since they started charging for the ads...it's mainly dealers and they have to pay for ads almost anywhere they go.
    You'll see cars listed on FB MP that are made to look like private sale (to avoid paying FB) but then when you look up what all this person has for sale they have 20 different cars listed...none with plates on either...hmm.

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Another reason i was pizzed at myself. The guy asked if i knew anyone else who wanted the wood as i was only taking a truckload of the primo stuff so i gave buzzsaw a call. He said i could come at anytime to cut, but i insisted on letting him know when i would with a courtesy call/text. Id wanna know when someone was coming to my property. Im wondering if one of the other scroungers showed up.
    Doesnt matter its water, uh i mean wood over the dam.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Scammers have contacted me usually as soon as i list something for sale. Some nonsense about them having their associates meet to arrange payment.

7. Horkn

Horkn

A dumper pumper is the wrong kind of equipment for wood removal. Well that will handle another type of logs.:rofl: :lol:

8. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

Brad- just have your associates meet with theirs. Problem solved, lol!

9. Horkn

Horkn

They are kinda fun to mess with.

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Sure are. When they text me i call the number back and never get an answer or VM!

11. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Another reason I have that attitude. I’ve sold (& currently have listings) on there. I don’t really hold for anyone, it’s first come first serve. After someone gives you the runaround and then never shows up, it’s the way it has to be [for me].
    Listed an old chicken coup once for free. After about 4 people and two weeks of no shows, I gave up. 1st here gets it.

12. fishingpol

fishingpol

I ditched the newspaper years ago as they got one sided for politics.

I never thought I would want to join FB. I pick and choose the news feeds. I am on the local happenings page for updates around the area.

The groups on FB are very good, much like here. Many are moderated an run a tight ship. I have vise, anvils and tool groups on mine. Some of the members can help with tool or parts ID.

The state fish and wildlife pages are good too. I also have a friend who is a picker on FB and she finds some good stuff I can use. I've done selling and trade for cool stuff. FB usually let's you see members accounts to an extent so you can weed them out.

I don't like the way FB is going, I'd like to see another platform develop, but I'll milk the cow for the time being.

13. jo191145

jo191145

Marketplace isnt that bad once you’ve used it for awhile and learn to spot idiots. Jump fast and if there’s no response let it slide. Ton of wood on there right now in Ct. Might have to drive a bit too keep busy. I pass up a lot because I don’t need it but I like to keep looking.
    Selling,,,,that’s a different story. Very aggravating. Idiots come out of the woodwork.
    Craigslist is just about done around here IMO. Seldom bother to look at it.

14. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I try Letgo and OfferUp but don't get too many replies from either of them

Horkn, Midwinter, jo191145 and 2 others like this.
  15. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

You try to scam me, I am going to give you the runaround until you say uncle.

16. jo191145

jo191145

Yep, have both those apps. Don’t even bother with them. Most of those posts have been up for months.

17. Warner

Warner

Local radio station has a call in flea market. Might be an avenue to consider...

18. Horkn

Horkn

I use those two as well. I see barely any movement on things on those two sites though.

buZZsaw BRAD and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Kinda followed your advice Jason, got a text for my 290 i had on CL today saying he was interested in the saw, my reply was "its yours, come and get it" Thought i spooked him and didnt hear back until late this afternoon. Guy was ready to buy. Hour later cash in hand, deal done.