Looky like it to me. Variety unknown. Wonder if The Wood Wolverine might know- he’s the apple orchard guy, yes?
Apple smells some kind of fruity. Hard to describe. Once you know it, you know what to look for (I know that's not remotely helpful) but based on those pictures I'd say with 95% certainty that's some kind of apple tree. Phenomenal wood to turn, burn or smoke with. Tough part is processing it because usually it's a LOT of crotch wood.
Here is an apple tree I took down a couple months ago. The bark looks identical to me, the heartwood on this is obviously darker (it lightened up over time on these particular pieces).
Bark sure looks the part. 100% of the apple I’ve cut looks like the pics above. Very red heart wood. But your species could be a different. I’ve always got a real sweet smell from splits too.