In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gardening Flowers & Foliage

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by bogieb, Jun 24, 2018.

1. fishingpol

fishingpol

The area over the septic field that was pretty sparse a few weeks ago is thick with clover now, and the grass is filling in. A tom spent some time in the patch this morning picking bugs. Chipping sparrows and bluebirds frequent the patch too. The honeybees are in the clover too. The dirt part to the left of the pic is where the new grass seed and flower seeds are. They are starting to show.

20200601_064056.jpg

I kept some crabapple seeds from last fall in the fridge and planted them a few weeks ago with none sprouting. I was supposed to put the seeds in between wet paper towels in the fridge. So I took all the jiffy pots with seeds and put them in a plastic bag for a week and took them out. Sure enough, they sprouted. They will spend a few weeks inside and then move to larger pots outside. Maybe by the later summer, into the ground and wire cage them for the winter.

20200531_175257.jpg

Midwinter, savemoney, Eric VW and 5 others like this.
  2. bogieb

bogieb

Most people would have given up after the couple of weeks - but you got rewarded for a little perseverance and trying something else.

3. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

In these pics you'll see Lilly's of the valley with young Purple Lateris, Bee balm, and many others I don't know the name of. The bed wraps around for 50' with New England Purple Asters and Golden Rod 4 feet tall by fall. Barb has it so that flowers Bloom non stop till frost. Then there are pics of light Blue Lilly's and a very dark Blue one we never planted and showed up here two yrs. ago. Daisy's and White Clover. A Rose Champion that appeared the entrance to a veggie garden that we didn't put there. And finally, Milkweed in the #1 veggie garden (there are 3) that draws in so many butterflies, they become a Monarch caterpillar nursery by late summer. DSCN2485.JPG DSCN2486.JPG DSCN2487.JPG DSCN2488.JPG DSCN2489.JPG DSCN2490.JPG

Midwinter, Eric VW, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  4. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

What's on the menu in the garden ? We are harvesting four veggies we use now, Asparagus coming hot and heavy, Chives, all you want, on the menu tonight on the baked potatoes with Atlantic Salmon. Arugula nightly in salads,and radishes. A few weeks more and the Snap Peas, Turnips, and Garlic will be ready.

Midwinter, bogieb, fishingpol and 2 others like this.
  5. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Barb still has 2 Pumpkins left harvested from last fall. The colonists survived the long winters very dependent on the storage of hard Winter Squashes and Pumpkins, life saving tips they learned from the native tribes. We have been working on long term storage of our harvests like my ancestors who lived in this house (1880) did. I don't think very many folks could come up with a pumpkin this time of year if they wanted to. DSCN2491.JPG

Midwinter, Eric VW, MikeInMa and 6 others like this.
  6. fishingpol

fishingpol

Very nice NH mountain man. I picked up some milkweed seed pods last fall and put them in the field area here. We will see what happens.

Midwinter, savemoney, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  7. bogieb

bogieb

Those pumpkins are impressive NH mountain man as are the gardens. Monarch babies love milkweed so I can imagine the hoard of butterflies and caterpillars.

Midwinter, savemoney, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  8. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Torch lilies all lit up....
    476CD6A7-A3B3-4825-B99C-C36841A38307.jpeg

BCB465C3-8C79-4E7D-A489-76060B987B81.jpeg

9. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

It smells so good up hear. Honeysuckle is blooming. All over the place except in front of the house. So can't smell them.

10. Warner

Warner

F23A39C8-36E3-4D91-BE4C-360440199D18.jpeg These lilacs were once planted at the edge of the wood line. Fast forward 20 years and they are in the middle of the lawn a real PIA to mow around. I’d like to move them. Any tips for a successful transplant. I plan to use a backhoe to dig them the move them to a spot along a stone wall I’m trying to fill in. They will be planted in fresh soil And I plan to water frequently.

11. bogieb

bogieb

They are pretty hardy, so as long as you get a good chunk of the root system, and water them until they get re-established, they should be good.

12. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

A few pics from around the yard

Yellow roses still putting on a show, with our monster Rhody in the background.
    IMG_20200604_121117982_HDR.jpg IMG_20200604_121142043_HDR.jpg IMG_20200604_121155043_HDR.jpg

Just a few Siberian irises. They are all around the yard.
    IMG_20200604_121227218.jpg

13. bogieb

bogieb

14. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

That's a single car garage to the right, that it's swallowing. The garage is used for seasonal storage

All I ever do to the rhody, is cut out any freeze kill, and manually broadcast handfuls of Hollytone all through it, each fall.

15. fishingpol

fishingpol

Trying out a tripod for the digital camera. Big difference on macro setting.

foxglove

DSCN0456 (3).JPG

columbine

DSCN0454 (3).JPG

clover

DSCN0463 (3).JPG

Midwinter, savemoney, Eric VW and 5 others like this.
  16. bogieb

bogieb

Your camera does a nice job with the purples. I have a hard time getting purples and reds to come out close to true color. Either that or my eyes just suck (well, they do, but I don't think that is the main problem with the color issue).

17. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    These are for fishingpol We walk by them each morning on our walk. There are lupines by the side of the road around here and they are all in full bloom. This batch is by our town works yard.
    IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0670.JPG

18. bogieb

bogieb

Those are a nice bright, eye catcher!

19. bogieb

bogieb

Still waiting for late spring stuff to start blooming, but I have had a couple of iris buds break open

iris - light purple with dark purple flag.jpg

iris - yellow and white.jpg

And a variegated weigala. For some reason this year the blooms are almost all white. Usually they have a bit more pink to them.
    Weigala - varigated.jpg

And a pic of squirrel in a bird feeder, which also shows a Geranium and salvia in one of my back porch planters. The geranium was given to me by the gal that took my old fence posts for a project of her own.
    Squireel on birdfeeder.jpg

20. fishingpol

fishingpol

Very nice Woodwidow. It's safe to say many of us New England members here really like the looks of them. A house up the street has a really nice group of purple ones. I'm slightly jealous, but in time, we will get there.

Nice irises bogieb, my parents have a bunch. We never had luck with them as the spot they were planted in at the last house was too shady I believe.

Eric VW, nice torch lillies. I have never seen those before. Very striking looking.

MikeInMa , great rhody there. The Siberia irises have a great look to them. Something about those thin, dark green stems and little burst of color at the top. Sophisticated looking, I guess.

This week, the ninebark blossomed. I read up on pruning them. Ours got leggy from the PO, I'll get it cut back into a shrub again. It is supposed to bear berries for birds and other wildlife. Not the best pic.

20200605_195832.jpg

The mock orange popped this week. We had some at the last house, glad we have a nice one here. Again, bad pic as I was making a quick tour of the yard.

20200605_195820.jpg

We took a few small rose bushes from the last house with us to the new place. One year later, they are doing pretty ok. Aphids showed up on these and the new yellow roses out front. These are heavily scented and a nice reminder of our last yard.

20200606_063949.jpg