In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Board edger

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by JB Sawman, May 24, 2020.

1. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Picked up my new edger last friday great machine made in pa at riehl steel 20 hp honda does not even slow down edging 1 1/2 inch locust double sides I know next addition to mill is a sawdust collection system shoveling these piles is getting old JB DSCN0336.JPG DSCN0335.JPG

fuelrod, Chaz, mike bayerl and 7 others like this.
  2. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Nice looking setup. Saw a Woodmizer ripsaw at a PA open house. It got my attention but not ready for that yet. What do you do with your sawdust?

Chaz, M2theB, Woodsnwoods and 2 others like this.
  3. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I used to use it at the farm for horse bedding but last fall the wife got rid of her horse after knee and hip replacements she could not manage it anymore so i have tried to give it away for bedding but nobody wants to come and shovel it up they want me to deliver it so at the moment I am dumping it in the woods all walnut sawdust was always dumped anyway I am hoping with a collection system I will be able to load out of a pile or a bin of some kind then I might be able to sell it with delivery charge I looked at the woodmizer edger I did not care for a belt fed machine some people prefer the belt fed but I have my fill of conveyor belts I used to do repairs in a quarry on conveyors I also looked at cooks and baker edgers but waaay to expensive Have a great Memorial Day and remember to thank a VET JB

4. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

That is a pretty nice machine. You must do a lot of milling and selling of lumber.

5. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Yes I started about 6 years ago and it has become very busy I specialize in Black Locust lumber march-april this year I have milled 3500 bdft of locust JB

6. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Milling Black Locust = oh Boy !?!?!?

Wait till buZZsaw Brad sees this. LOL

Really nice looking machine.
    Pictures look like the mill has been busy for you.

7. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I have about 5-6 cords of black locust slabwood and bad boards in a pile I try to get 50.00 a cord loaded in your truck I keep asking my customers and I get asked if that is cut to fireplace length my reply is if I had the time to cut it up I would keep it I really think they are serious by their reaction when I say why would I sell a cord of fireplace length wood for that ??

8. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Heck 50 dollars a cord for slabwood black locust. I would take that in a heart beat. Sounds like some of your customers are in need of a reality check.

9. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Chaz, Woodsnwoods, Husky Man and 2 others like this.
  10. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

How's that new edger doing?

Chaz and JB Sawman like this.
  11. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

It is working great I had some 1 1/2 locust to edge and it walked it through no problem I wished I had bought it a couple years ago it makes a big difference in time for me which means a lot when you do milling part time How is your sharpening doing getting it down yet ? JB

Chaz likes this.
  12. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Had good luck with it so far. One blade left a little rougher cut than I like, took it off and checked the set. All was 18-20 thousands. Still learning.

Chaz and JB Sawman like this.
  13. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Its interesting how just 1 or 2 teeth out of set or small defect can change how the finish looks on the boards I have had brand new blades sometimes leave noticeably different finish in the same lumber JB

Cold Trigger Finger and Chaz like this.