In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Who here has had Lyme?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by mr.finn, May 24, 2020.

1. mr.finn

mr.finn

Somewhere early in the week I noticed an area under right armpit that was a little tender. As per usual I din't think much of it. Get home from work on Thursday and felt tired, figure run down from working a lot, Eat and go to bed. By mid day Friday I was tired and just wanted to get home. Started getting a little achy. Get home and lay in the warm sun for a bit, walked into the house and immediately went to the couch and took a nap(I never take naps when it is nice out)Hit the bed around 5:30 pm(never done that before either). Overnight was full of chills, sweats, low grade fever. Spent the entire Sat in bed(Never done that) Had a call with a Tele doc yesterday afternoon, With no covid symptoms, the small rash under armpit, he ruled it as Lyme. I can usually suffer pretty well through colds and other stuff but I wouldn't wish this upon anybody. Just wanted to share this as the warm weather is coming and spray up before heading into the woods. Have a great Memorial Day weekend Hoarders!!

M2theB, Cash Larue, WeldrDave and 9 others like this.
  2. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Hope you got prescribed a strong regimen of antibiotics. IMHO the longer the better. Gotta kill that stuff before it destroys your life. Good luck.

dgeesaman, M2theB, WeldrDave and 8 others like this.
  3. Geoff C

Geoff C

A guy I work with had same symptoms. He said he sweat through 5 tshirts every night.

I had a tick attached and sent it to the tick lab in PA they said it was positive so my doc gave me 2 weeks antibiotics.

Then a few weeks later you go for a follow up blood test to make sure it’s gone.

I treat my outdoor clothes with permethrin now

M2theB, WeldrDave, FatBoy85 and 7 others like this.
  4. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

My wife and mother in law have had it. My wife’s symptoms were pretty rough. Gave her antibiotics and a anti malaria drug. She was weak and incredibly sensitive to the sun for about a month. Good luck. Take a probiotic with antibiotics so your guts are not wrecked fir life.

WeldrDave, FatBoy85, Maina and 4 others like this.
  5. mr.finn

mr.finn

Going on a 2 week scrip of Doxy starting today. Doc said it should take care of it.

6. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

I wish you the best, its pretty nasty stuff.

M2theB, WeldrDave, FatBoy85 and 4 others like this.
  7. Erik B

Erik B

I had it a number of years ago. Wife took me to the ER at the hospital but the doc only gave me some steroids. It was on a weekend so I couldn't see my regular doc. On Monday I got in to see my regular doc and he gave me antibiotics. No troubles since then.

WeldrDave, Haftacut, FatBoy85 and 5 others like this.
  8. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

My wife had one on her leg the other day. We got it within 8hrs. Not sure how accurate but they say if you get it within 24hrs you are good.

still have the tick in a bag in the fridge. Gonna send it in.

lyme scares me more than coronavirus

9. Meche_03

Meche_03

I've been treated for it. Never positively confirmed. I had 2 different antibody blood tests done. You needed a 3/5 and 5/7 test score on each test respectively. In one week I was 2/5 and 4/7. I had over 150 seed ticks on me from my knees down. A sprinkling of bigger ticks too.

I must have found an old rats nest in the underbrush. I had sprayed DET on my, boots, socks, pants that morning. At lunch my socks and boots were soaking wet from wet ground. I changed boots and socks but forgot to reapply DET.

It's bad this year, kids have ticks every day after playing in the back pasture and woods.

WeldrDave, Haftacut, FatBoy85 and 3 others like this.
  10. MAF143

MAF143

We have been putting tea tree oil in our shampoos and body wash (except in the winter) so every time we shower we get a tick repelant treatment. We haven't had a tick latched on since we started doing that 5 or 6 years ago. We still get one on us once in a while but never been bit since. They just run around on us and we notice them easier since they tend to be looking for a better place to bite. Seems to be helping out. She only puts 5-6 drops in each container of soaps / shampoos, just enough that you can just start smelling it a little while taking a shower.

Thor, WeldrDave, FatBoy85 and 5 others like this.
  11. clay shooter

clay shooter

wish you well take care.

WeldrDave, FatBoy85, Maina and 3 others like this.
  12. J bird

J bird

My dad had it for over 10 years but all the doctors said at the time that North Carolina did not have Lyme’s. He almost died but thank God he had an infection in his groin and they gave him antibiotics. It was like a miracle he got better and was like his old self. We had to travel out of state to a doctor that would treat him. Long story short a 2 week cycle on doxy should take care of it but if you still have symptoms you need to hit it again. Trouble is doctors don’t always want to give another dose. It’s more of an insurance thing than anything else. Real good documentary on the whole situation if you want a good watch is “Under our skin “.

WeldrDave, FatBoy85, Maina and 3 others like this.
  13. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

Yep, I was the 21st case in my county three years ago. It was not fun...

14. MAF143

MAF143

I came in from spraying Honeysuckle and Multi-Floral Rose out in the woods and sat down here at the computer to check in on what's going on when I felt something in my right ear. Sure enough it was a tick. I got it with a pair of needlenose pliers that I keep in the drawer up here.

I HATE those things. Now I gotta go in to the mirror.

15. mr.finn

mr.finn

Update. Instead of taking the Doxy, we called my primary and he recommend we go to the Beth Isreal hospital he is affiliated with(and open on Sunday) to get bloodwork. After chest x ray and blood labs, nothing showed up(lyme doesnt always show up in tests) Send me home to treat as Lyme. Started Antibiotics Sunday afternoon. Felt like a normal human being on Monday so it seems the meds are working so far. No recent fevers, bad chills. Got a Covid test while in there cause of symptoms, test results today hopefully. Thanks for sharing your stories, all helpfull to hear.

WeldrDave, Chvymn99, Ronaldo and 5 others like this.
  16. Maina

Maina

Best of luck to you! I agree that probiotics should be taken along with any antibiotic or you could end up with worse problems down the road. And eat lots of plants!

17. MAF143

MAF143

Yesterday (Memorial day) I wasn't planning on being out in the woods working so I used some different soap in the shower that doesn't have the tea tree oil in it. I went out and finished putting a replacement fender on the quad and cleaned the carb cuz it's been dripping a little gas if I forget to shut off the fuel petcock.

Went for a test ride afterwards (of course out through the woods). Since we were going over to my sisters for some social distancing practice, I hopped in the shower again and my wife spotted a tick on my back that was just digging in. So much for skipping the tea tree oil treated body wash... I'll be using it all the time. First tick I've had actually bite me in years. Maybe coincidence, but...

18. Maina

Maina

I think you’re on to something. I use either tea tree or peppermint Dr Bronners liquid sugar soap and haven’t been bothered much by any biting bugs since. Bugs hate peppermint too

19. Stinny

Stinny

Glad you contacted your doc mr.finn ... and got started on anti-Bs right off.

"I treat my outdoor clothes with permethrin now" ... the only stuff that kills ticks... they drink reglah bug spray I think, have never seen anything work except permethrin. We use Sawyer's spray (can get it at Walmarts, etc), and treat socks, pants and shirts we wear, when we're in the woods or diggin' in the garden.

WeldrDave, Chvymn99, wildwest and 4 others like this.
  20. Eckie

Eckie

Have had tons of tick bites over the years, but have never been tested, or thought ive had, any tick disease. Know people who have had lyme, some of them weren't diagnosed and treated early, and they have had years of problems. There is also the meat allergy from ticks around here. Pretty much allergic to eating anything on 4 legs.

MAF143....this essential oil soap concoction... What size bottle of soap/shampoo are you putting the 5/6 drops of tea tree oil into? We just got a pack of oils the other day, and i believe there is a vial of tea tree oil in the pack...