In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Piles of wood delivered FREE!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by JWinIndiana, May 25, 2020.

  1. JWinIndiana

    JWinIndiana

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2017
    Messages:
    1,440
    Likes Received:
    8,770
    Location:
    NorthWest Indiana
    Well, the proverbial, "fall in a pile of $hit and come out smelling like a rose". I have a past student (he graduated in 1989) and he has been bugging me about letting him drop some construction cut offs. I have resisted for a couple of years. We agreed to burn cutoffs from a pallet factory about 13 years ago, they delivered them and they were in gaylord boxes and they wanted the boxes back. Talk about a mess, full of sawdust, paper, soda cans, nails, staples, we used up the first two and never asked for any more to be returned. This is the history behind me not accepting this construction cutoff deal. Well, he got me and dropped off one load. For the life of me I cannot remember the size of the dumpster, thinking 42 cubic yard? Anyway, comes from a high end house company that builds the houses in a building, not a modular home. Anyway, he told no nails no paper no plywood. So I relented. What I got? All kiln dried, 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x10, 2x12 any where from 1-2 inches long up to a 2x12 that was 10' long!! Many many 2x4's 6-8' long! Majority of everything is 3' or less long. Pile is about 5' tall, on average 4' tall. 8' wide and about 30' long! It has to be longer than 30', that is a 10x20 tarp covering it! I'll see if I can get the pictures to load.

    Pile of cut offs 1.jpg


    Pile of cut offs 2.jpg
     
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,736
    Likes Received:
    214,830
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Thats great. I used to love raiding construction dumpsters for framing scrap. Will you repurpose the better stuff or turn it all into firewood/kindling?
     
  3. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,632
    Likes Received:
    130,546
    Location:
    Vermont
  4. JWinIndiana

    JWinIndiana

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2017
    Messages:
    1,440
    Likes Received:
    8,770
    Location:
    NorthWest Indiana
    Well, the wife has dug out boards for signs, both daughters, their husbands and kids have dug through and pulled many, many useable boards for projects. Past student told me he has occasionally found a bunk of rejects in the load! I wouldn't mind a bunk of any kind! Useable will find a new purpose, rest, being burnt. So far, it is burning better than the slab wood we used to get.
     
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,736
    Likes Received:
    214,830
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    What species? Is it douglas fir, hem fir or some type of "white wood" utility framing lumber?

    I couldnt get the pics to load.
     
  6. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,353
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    I gotta see this! I like the part about you finally succumbing to the pressure:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol: Ok, if you must!:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
     
  7. JWinIndiana

    JWinIndiana

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2017
    Messages:
    1,440
    Likes Received:
    8,770
    Location:
    NorthWest Indiana
    Pine, framing lumber, the pictures are now up.
     
  8. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,353
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    Yes sir! May I have another?:whistle:
     
  9. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    That's a good haul man:stack::stack:
     
  10. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Do you have a place to put all that and keep it dry?
     
  11. JWinIndiana

    JWinIndiana

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2017
    Messages:
    1,440
    Likes Received:
    8,770
    Location:
    NorthWest Indiana
    I am working on a way to pile it. Then I have asked for a minimum of 5 more loads before winter.

    Find somewhere on this 40 acres. Actually where it is dumped I will probably pile and then buy a HUGE tarp. Would be nice if it could be kept under a roof but I am not that fortunate.

    Yeah, pretty excited about it myself. It is beautiful campfire wood.
     
  12. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    that will be good shoulder season wood just stack it in the stove tight.
    Boy the Boy Scouts could make a lot of bird houses out of that:D
     
  13. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    You need some of these
    IMG_20130813_165215.jpg IMG_20130914_185854.jpg
     
  14. Maina

    Maina

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2018
    Messages:
    1,618
    Likes Received:
    11,317
    Location:
    Maine
    Nice haul! Great shoulder season/campfire wood.
     
  15. Loon

    Loon

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    6,560
    Likes Received:
    37,138
    Location:
    North of the border
    Very nice JWin. :salute: The T5 would love that stuff all winter. :coldone:
     
  16. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    I had a story last year similar to your pallet clean up. Ugh. :picard: Not worth it and never doing it again. This makes up for quite a bit of that!
     
  17. Eckie

    Eckie

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2019
    Messages:
    3,721
    Likes Received:
    18,762
    Location:
    Virginia
    That's a great score! I can just imagine my 4 year old's eyes if she were to see that pile of "blocks"!!! Oh the things she could build!
     
  18. JWinIndiana

    JWinIndiana

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2017
    Messages:
    1,440
    Likes Received:
    8,770
    Location:
    NorthWest Indiana
    I have thrown it in as we heat our hot water all summer, it has held better than slab wood. That is a great idea, I will have to get with the scouts and if they want to come "shop" for birdhouse wood I will make it available!


    My past student that dropped this off says he has four other families with wood boilers that heat exclusively with this all winter. Two are elderly and appreciate the size of the wood. And campfires, it is so clean and pretty fire, little smoke, have had a friend take some for that reason.

    Oh my youngest grandson digs through and takes wood home for his "shack". He is a hoot. The other grandson looks for wide boards for shelves in their barn. It is fun to let them dig and take.
     
    HDRock, FatBoy85, T.Jeff Veal and 5 others like this.
  19. JWinIndiana

    JWinIndiana

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2017
    Messages:
    1,440
    Likes Received:
    8,770
    Location:
    NorthWest Indiana
    I thought of that, I used to have two woodturners in the house, this would be so nice, clean, easy to stack, etc.
     
  20. JWinIndiana

    JWinIndiana

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2017
    Messages:
    1,440
    Likes Received:
    8,770
    Location:
    NorthWest Indiana
    They are to small. Takes two wheel barrow loads to fill the boiler 1/2 full. Going to load the farm truck and park it tarped by the stove with the bed tipped up to make easy transition then load the truck on the weekends with the loader tractor. I have a bad back and bending it makes it unhappy. So keeping things at waist level and just an easy move will be helpful. As I create the situation will post pictures of it.
     
    FatBoy85, T.Jeff Veal, Maina and 4 others like this.