In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pine time!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by bigfrank, May 21, 2020.

1. bigfrank

bigfrank

We in the valley don't do much pine firewood. Lots of people are scared to burn it, but I went ahead and grabbed this trailer load yesterday. Most of it has been down for a year or so, so the bark is mostly off. The bigger stuff was still wet inside, but not pitchy per say. Going to get it finished split and stacked. We have many 90 and 100 degree days coming. It will all be seasoned by the time Summer is over.

Do nay of you guys burn pine? I understand as long as it's nice and dry, it won't give a person problems.

Attached Files:

2. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

I spent several years in Eastern Wyoming and about all there is to burn is Pine (Ponderosa). As long as it is allowed to dry/season then it burns just fine and poses no problems. Its not unlike most any other wood.....dry it right and you'll be good.

3. tamarack

tamarack

Yes I burn lodgepole and ponderosa pine. We get hot and dry summers so even pine that is green in may is ready to burn by November. Just split and stack it where the sun and wind can do their magic.

4. Camber

Camber

If it is dry, burn it. We would all have died years, and years ago up here where it gets 50 below if it was so sinful. glad you got a score. Im burning dry lodge pole right now. El no problemo.

5. Maina

Maina

Pine is fine! Great for quick hot fires as long as it’s dry. I love it for shoulder season.

Camber, Cash Larue, Timberdog and 4 others like this.
  6. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

There are many members here that burn pine, spruce and fir exclusively, that's pretty much all they have in their geographic location....

The biggest factor is getting it seasoned, that will make all the difference. Pine can burn furiously (especially the pitchy stuff) so having control of the draft air is a must, especially with well-seasoned pine.....

Secondary burn or catalytic stoves can help burn pine when it's optimally seasoned, but can be a nightmare when the pine is wet.....

I'm not afraid to burn spruce, I've burned quite a bit of it over the years, but being I am limited on storage I usually don't keep it on purpose unless I'm temporarily stockpiling it for my maple syrup evaporator.

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Its okay to burn as long as its dry. I dont burn it other than kindling or firepit.
    Nice grab! :thumbs:

8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Never have been afraid to burn pine. Actually I think I was probably around 30 years old (but don't remember for sure as that was a long time ago) before I ever heard the old wives tale about pine burning the house down.

9. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

We had an Earthstove brand insert with a catalyst and it really put out nice heat with the pine. Was actually quite impressed with it.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

10. bigfrank

bigfrank

WEll there is more to come at that spot in a month or so, so I'll get back up there and grab some more when the time comes.

Camber, Cash Larue and Ronaldo like this.
  11. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

I get Log Loads of Pine for $50!!!!!!.....I end up with about 8 face cords after I'm done...Then I sell it to guys at work for $50 a truck full......and they say WOW..WHAT A DEAL...Haha

12. fishingpol

fishingpol

I'll be burning red and white pine, hemlock and spruce this winter. burn what ya brung. Not worried here.

Ronaldo, Camber and Cash Larue like this.
  13. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

I burn several cords of pine per year. Burns great. Just clean your chimney and stove pipes regularly - just like you would with any other type of firewood.

tamarack, Ronaldo and Camber like this.