In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Harman P61A intermittent start up issue-SOLVED

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Harman Lover 007, May 11, 2020.

1. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

My P61A had been acting really strangely for most of this past season. Ignition via the igniter only worked about 25% of the time. Once burning it was ok and seemed to heat fine, normal pellet use. Fire bricks were extremely black but the flame was strong. I had put in a new OEM igniter last year. I used a propane torch to light it when the igniter wouldn’t do the job. Fast forward to the end of the season (or so we all thought) and I gave the stove a deep cleaning. When I loosened the wingnuts on the igniter cover on the burn pot, the cover fell off..... I don’t remember that ever happening..... then it dawned on me that the cover is supposed to go on from the top, not the bottom. Apparently, it makes a difference. It was tight enough to satisfy the vacuum switch and the stove would light but it definitely wasn’t at full efficiency. I must have installed it wrong at least 2 cleanings ago. Lesson learned, even for an experienced Harman owner like me. The stove fires every time, has a much livelier flame and the firebricks are white. Looks like we might turn a corner here in New England with the weather by the end of this week.

Earl764, bogieb, subsailor and 3 others like this.
  2. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

I hope the weather changes....I have tomatoes which are getting "leggy" and need to go OUT!
    This is a great example of a stove that cant really be fixed over the phone or online. Folks call often with their issues, and sometimes a guy just has to see it. I might ask them if the fines cover screws are tight, and they would rightly answer "yes", so, it ends there.
    I once had a call where the auger and igniter wouldnt run....easy, right? Blockage in hose, dirty, damper, bad switch, etc. But the customer had replaced the switch first.....and put it in upside down! Couldnt see it over the phone though.......all we knew was it was a new switch. Go figure!

bogieb and Harman Lover 007 like this.
  3. imacman

imacman

Just pinch off most of the lower branches and deep plant them...they'll be fine.

PelletHound and Lousyweather like this.
  4. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

That's what I do......hopefully I can put them out this weekend (Im hardening them off now, as best I can, but its been WINDY!)....Ive a rare weekend off! (well, at this point in time I do, but its dependent on co-workers saying well, etc)....
    Ive got about 70 Roma tomato plants, another 30 Beefsteak, 40 bell peppers, 10 jalapenos. Hope also to plant my cukes, kale, basil!

PelletHound and bogieb like this.
  5. imacman

imacman

That's a lotsa "maters!! I used to plant a lot of Roma 'cause my kids wanted italian red sauce made fresh....I spoiled 'em!!

Lousyweather, PelletHound and bogieb like this.
  6. BHags

BHags

I'm growing a few weed plants this year. It's legal.

imacman, slvrblkk, subsailor and 2 others like this.
  7. bogieb

bogieb

I've tried to leave the cover off, but don't beleive I've ever tried to put it on upside down. Usually the simple things that mess us all up.

imacman and Harman Lover 007 like this.
  8. PelletHound

PelletHound

Ha,The wife does that.She had 2 plants last year.Enough weed for 5 years.I don't touch the stuff.I like :coldone::coldone::coldone::drunk::drunk::drunk:

imacman, slvrblkk, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  9. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007

It slides on either way. Apparently it seals differently

imacman and bogieb like this.
  10. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

yea.....thats exactly what I do with them! I plant a few extra because you never know if the cutworms will get some, or the woodchuck I have yet to "get", or the blight (although by the time I see that its too late to plant)........also plenty of peppers and basil for said sauce

bogieb and imacman like this.