In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Diesel truck discussion

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by TurboDiesel, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

Bump for last nights work.....

installed a riff raff compressor wheel. Ww version 2. About 4 hours, old wheel did not want to come off. So far so good. Faster spool up, can’t wait yo pull a load up hill to see if it eliminated the surge I would get sometimes. 4DCA65D4-69AC-4024-A5E5-96A5D7FABF48.jpeg 253A8F64-9BD7-4567-898D-635323FDFF2A.jpeg 1B6E8D24-BFCE-4FD1-AB7F-7A648D863C4E.jpeg

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Thats purty!

Reddingnative, In the Pines and Horkn like this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, all nice and CNC!

4. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

Too many diesel goodies available! :hair:

Horkn and TurboDiesel like this.
  5. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I agree.
    I'd like to throw some power at mine but towing a camper lots of miles, I'm afraid of wearing the tranny out too fast.

6. fuelrod

fuelrod

Hey I know for a fact that back when I was about 12/13 attaching playing cards with moms clothes pins to the front forks of my bicycle so that the cards flapped against the spokes actually added at least 100hp to my leg power.:D

7. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

My auto is at 226k, original. Either it will break very soon or it will be a miracle transmission and last for another 50-100k. Who knows. Im cautious, but like my buddy told me...sometimes they go out under 100k with daily driving, sometimes he sees them with high milage.

TurboDiesel and Horkn like this.
  8. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Only if you’re picking up agricultural machinery parts in NJ.....:whistle:
    :rofl: :lol:
    :picard:

TurboDiesel, Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

OK, so I stumbled across this tonight, turns out the car I mentioned above is owned by a local classic car dealership...its for sale, 1970 Chevelle 396SS...only $55,000. :whistle:
    Anyways, they posted a short video of it idling, uhg ugh ugh!

Fanatical1, DNH and TurboDiesel like this.
  10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

11. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

High speed ferry
    52,000 hp
    42 knots
    4- 13,600 hp diesels
    o_O

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    brenndatomu likes this.
  12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

A few months back I was watching a late night re-run Mega Machines, or some such show, they showed the engine(s) on the new ship that was being built...I think it was to be a new world record largest...stinkin MASSIVE! 10's of thousands of horsepower...torque output was crazy high too! :eek: :faint:

13. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Justin
    Any update on that new compressor wheel?

14. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

EB4D1050-A251-4AC5-98F8-923E5C3FA9A4.jpeg D8690D27-86BD-442B-8B5C-2A4677568680.jpeg
    Pulled trailer camping up to Oakridge, Oregon and back last week. Highest elevation was just over 5k a few times. Did great. No surge, power was just fine. I would still enjoy a tuner but honestly don’t need it. Passed a slow moving caravan of trailers and looked down and it was at 75mph! No complaints at all, but I did notice what appeared to be some noise from fan clutch, so that will get replaced at some point in near future. Trying to solve issues before they become an expensive problem!

edit for picture of truck and trailer. We had to come back early, 5 yo was sick with fever. Got covid test and was fine. Better safe than sorry. We were still up there sat- Thursday. Real tent camp with no water, power, and vault toilet. Hence quite a but of stuff. Heck meeting up with a buddy and his kid, we had food and water for 8 people for 7 days, that was half my gvwr!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    brenndatomu likes this.
  15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Thats a lot of granola!
    :eek:

:rofl: :lol:

Glad to hear the new wheel is working well!

I'd love to do some more work to mine.
    Maybe after a good tranny rebuild...
    I told Miss July to keep $3000 in an emergency tranny fund. Its just a matter of time towing.

Reddingnative and brenndatomu like this.
  16. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

I bought that same car (same color too) when I was 18 years old... That was 42 years ago now. Cost me $1200... Should have kept it I guess..

brenndatomu likes this.
  17. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

Understand that. Debating just replacing mine, but figured I would ride it out and if it slips, worry about it then. No issues so far.

on the granola- we had eggs, bacon, sausage every morning, sandwiches for lunch and burgers, chicken, etc for dinners. Love good camp meals.

TurboDiesel and brenndatomu like this.
  18. Redfin

Redfin

I picked one up mainly for monitoring and diagnostics. Did pick up a couple mpg on street tune.

I lowered temps and tightened up eots after egr cooler and valve delete. Pic is after pulling the mt I live on. Closest my eot has been. E617F7C3-D30A-4DCB-8AC5-795AA1A95D34.jpeg

Reddingnative likes this.
  19. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

If I remember correctly, you have a 7.3, right? So you would have a 5R110. I have the E4OD, which is essentially the same thing, just a few less sensors.

When I bought mine, it came with a Ford reman, and is actually in a 5R110 case. If you aren't lacking for power, leave it stock without a tune. That will help extend its life. When I built my truck, I put a Trans-Go Tugger shift kit in my tranny. It really tightened the shifts up, and I am more than happy with it. My tranny guy did everything they recommended in the instructions except tearing it apart to do some mod to 2nd gear, he didnt deem it worth the time and money. He went just undersized from what they recommended on drilling out the ports on the valve body due to drill bit availability, and told me to bring it back if it needed more to firm the shifts more, but I couldn't imagine wanting it to shift any harder.

20. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

I suppose this is the thread to ask: any suggestions for an F-250 6.4L at 110k miles. No DPF since 36k, Superchips tuner set at basically stock power. Mostly use it for towing the horse trailer which is a reasonable 10k.

Right now we are having fun with the high pressure fuel pump. Replaced the wet harnesses and pressure sensor but still getting codes and reduced power mode. Mechanic might have the cab off getting a HPFP as I write this. These newer diesels really aren’t very reliable.

In any case I’m at the point where it’s time to dig in and invest in major reliability upgrades, or sell it and move on. We like the diesel torque but the fuel economy is not a game changer and the big V8 gassers seem to be getting better and the fuel economy running u loaded with them is good. I think we can easily live without the diesel torque and it would be fantastic to have the option to work on it myself again.

Open to opinions.

brenndatomu likes this.