Every fall at the cottage, in preparation for the winter months, I wrap the three lilac clumps to keep those voracious timber rats away from them. Every year....except this past fall. don't know why; no excuse. Man, did they ever take a beating! they are browsed down way past the size of a pencil (typical for hungry whitetail) and I don't know if I'll have any blooms at all this year.....even on the tallest stems! The lilac bush is not into survival mode.
Thank you yoops My lilac is leafing out. Usually blooms late May/early June. Last year the blooms froze before opening, hoping for a show this year This will be the 3rd (4th?) summer for my orange lilies that Chvymn99 sent me, thanks again! I had 4 blooms last year and a couple bunches are doing really well, hoping for a show from them too
I believe we have yew bush that they discovered a couple years ago. About 30' away I have a lilac that they haven't discovered yet. I didn't think this year they would mess with them being so mild. What do you wrap the lilac in?
Back in the 90's, I found some bird netting that was on clearance prices and picked that up. Works great but its a PITA removing. Some of the branch tips stick out of the netting. Collateral damage I presume? About 1/2" squares...maybe smaller.
Friendly reminder, Mother's day is coming soon again, so get your gifts shipped I found a tea mug for my MIL, the colors and floral design is her all the way! I'd like some cool tshirts for my Mother and Dad's wife, but I have no idea what size to order, they both lost weight the last couple years. Anyway you've been warned