In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Prayers for a brother in need!

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Pallet Pete, Jun 27, 2014.

  1. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    I ran into an older gentleman tonight while walking in the abandoned tracks behind my house. He said he has traveled across the tracks for a week! His wife passed away 3 months ago and he was just blain bored without her. When I asked how far he planned to go he said until it doesn't hurt anymore! Keep him in your thoughts please! He is a very nice man in his 70's with a big hiking pack and according to him nothing to loose. What a sad story.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  2. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    That's sad. Maybe it will turn around for him.
     
  3. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Damm, that's so sad man. I can't imagine losing my significant other when most are married 50+yrs. I will pray for this man....
     
  4. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    I told him he was welcome to stop by anytime and he said he planned to walk all night and sleep in the early morning somewhere. He said he is simply using his retirement to travel and eat. I gave him my old wind up radio, sterno stove and camping tinder set to which he insisted on giving me a $20 bill even though I said it wasn't needed. He was really a kind and hurt soul. We talked for a good hour or close to it.....
     
  5. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Thank you for looking out for him. You did what you could. Single aging men have the highest suicidal incidence in any population group. Having someone just to listen to him was exactly what he needs.
    As you said, "prayers for a brother in need"
     
  6. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    It's a very sad thing when anyone loses the love of their life and then has to get beyond it. I like to think this man on the tracks is doing something, anything, other than sitting at home dwelling on his loss. Sad as it is, he'll probably be OK after a while. I hope and pray that he is.
     
  7. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    Prayers up Pete. I'm in a geriatric specialty so I see this kind of loss frequently. Some folks mend quickly, some never do. I admire this man though. As others have said, at least he isn't sitting at home. God Bless him and keep him.
     
  8. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Man, we all would do well to love someone so much that we become lost without them. God help us when we are.
     
  9. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,491
    Likes Received:
    113,817
    Location:
    KC Metro
    Prayers will go out. Thanks for taking the time and extending a hand. That probably ment more than anything to him.
     
  10. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Pete, kudos to you too bro. Not a lot of people would have extended a hand as you did. I bet that hour that he spent with you will take him many miles. Thanks to you for doing the right thing!
     
  11. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    "I bet that hour that he spent with you will take him many miles. Thanks to you for doing the right thing!"

    You're right Os... not everyone would even have noticed this man on the tracks, much less talked with him. Says a lot about you Pete. While your words and encouragement no doubt helped this man, I'd be willing to bet this will take you many miles too... :)
     
  12. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Man that tugged at my heart strings. Thanks for doing what you did for that man. I'm sure it means more to him than any of us can imagine. I'll say a prayer for him.
     
  13. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    :thumbs: Nice work Pete. You da man.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Pallet Pete like this.
  14. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    Thanks guys. Seriously though we started talking because I discovered grapes growing in the ditch behind my house and he had been a Gardner for a very long time... One thing led to another. I would like to believe that any of you would have done the same and helped a man in need! There have been many times I wished I had help but didn't ask ( to stubborn ) and many times it was simply given with no need to ask at all. Honestly I didn't do it for praise but because the man was in pain and it was so visible in his eyes and demeanor.... I know pain first hand and seeing somebody else go through it is a terrible thing no matter the reason... The Lord picked me to help and do his work this time I think.
     
  15. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Ya dun good my man. Another example of class acts on this forum. We surround ourselves with good people, and good things happen.
     
  16. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,512
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    You hit that one on the head I'd say Pete. Thanks for listening to the call and God bless you brother.
     
    Stinny likes this.
  17. BrianK

    BrianK

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,108
    Likes Received:
    11,113
    Location:
    West central PA
    I just gotta say, I really do enjoy this forum and all the good wholesome folks who have made it their Internet home.

    And this thread is another great example of that.
     
  18. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,189
    Location:
    Central MI
    "Inasmuch as you have done unto the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me."

    Thanks Pete.
     
    savemoney, BrianK and Pallet Pete like this.