Tree service dropped off a load of mostly sassafras with some cherry mixed in. I took notice of the decent sized sass but didn’t really see how big some of this was until I started cutting it today. The saw is an echo 8000 with a 24” bar on it.
Sassafras can get big. My sil has some big trees. Easy to cut and split. Excellent shoulder wood. And, you can't beat the smell while working it.
Question for everyone, as far as tree services dropping off at your place, is it because you've asked them too, or closer than the landfill? My county and closet one do not charge for trees and brush. We are about 14 miles from any town so I feel like getting someone to drop logs off is a hard sell when its free and the landfill. Most smaller towns that dont have landfills have brush sites for the townspeople to use. Just curious what you deal with where you are. Thanks.
I've gotten one free delivery from a tree service recently. It was because I asked. They were cutting across the street from me. I also took delivery of another free tree service load, about 18 months ago. Also from across the street. Our property is on the intersection of 2 streets. Maybe 2.5 cords in total.
Thats pretty convenient id say. Ive had a little luck commenting Facebook on people looking for tree removals. Just asking if the wood is spoken for and if not Id be happy to pick it up. Ive got one tree buddy that if I call he will usually let me have some that hes cutting down. Another buddy calls when hes doing some work as well.
No free dump around here. They have to pay to get rid of it. My moms farm where the wood is dumped but it’s off the beaten path for around these parts- 15 minute drive from a lot of homes and places that take brush logs etc. It costs more time than its worth for most companies but I’ve been dealing with this one guy for 5-6 years and it works out for both of us. I pay for a fair amount of log drop offs but not all.
Wow!!!!! I've never seen a sassafras that big nor that straight! Around here it can be a trial finding one even straight enough for a fence post. btw, they do make good fence posts. No, not as good as locust but we've used them for years without treating them. Sometimes we do dump some used oil in before setting the posts but that is all we ever did.
I musta read the title too fast.... I thought this was gonna be about TurboDiesel ’s @zz.... or maybe even his sass.... BIG HUGS THIMMIE! He knows I’m kiddin’ folks...