In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

ID for a friend.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by The Wood Wolverine, Apr 22, 2020.

  1. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,849
    Likes Received:
    121,339
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Asking for help ID’ing this. Trying to confirm it’s elm. I think the splits look like it but the bigger log doesn’t. I’m unsure though.
    7FA6739D-33E0-45CE-BEDB-F6733C83CE03.jpeg 35F57DF9-AC8B-41C4-BA7F-6B40C766E45A.jpeg 0894A276-D17F-4CE2-9EAD-3BF647CC3F88.jpeg
     
  2. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,849
    Likes Received:
    121,339
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
  3. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,353
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    I gotta go with white oak. The split pile especially looks like it to me. I cut most of a huge one up last year. Talk about some primo btus! Any acorns under the tree?
     
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,737
    Likes Received:
    214,831
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    splits are white oak. Rounds in third pic look like a variety of red oak...unless its the same tree splits came from. Rounds in your second post are white oak. Tell him to take a good sniff. Smells like whiskey. One of my favorite woods.
     
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,737
    Likes Received:
    214,831
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
  6. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,849
    Likes Received:
    121,339
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Yes I have, and seeing that bark made me think of it right away. But.. I see signs of elm on those splits. And I say that seeing the pattern of the wood, specifically not being a straight split. Let me try and circle what I'm referencing. I see it on elm but never on any oaks.
     
  7. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,353
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    If you haven’t, it’s best to not start! It’s like my cocaine:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
     
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,737
    Likes Received:
    214,831
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    hoarding firewood is my cocaine!:loco: :crazy:
     
  9. farmer steve

    farmer steve

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2016
    Messages:
    1,966
    Likes Received:
    14,384
    Location:
    top of the hill york co. PA.
    Thinking white oak too Jason. I've had some that was a little narly like that. More stringy when green than dry.
     
  10. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,849
    Likes Received:
    121,339
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Not sure how to explain what made me think elm. The wood doesn’t come apart in a straight line, it waves significantly. I can see it better in his posted pics to me but not so well after I saved them.
    C9336EE4-1BA7-43B7-ABAF-70060CFC0DD3.jpeg
    elm and gum do this exclusively.
    C9336EE4-1BA7-43B7-ABAF-70060CFC0DD3.jpeg

    Appears like this gum pic
    [​IMG]
    And it reminds me of this:
    Another newbie wood ID.
     
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,737
    Likes Received:
    214,831
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Same here. Once in a while there is some stringiness.
     
  12. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,849
    Likes Received:
    121,339
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    He said he didn't get the chance to look at the surroundings because he was in a hurry to get it out.
     
  13. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,353
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    I agree Jason. Lot to look at. So many variations in the appearance of the bark too...smooth bark in the smaller branches. As far as the grain, I see where you were going with elm d/t the splits not being straight. Especially the limb wood of the one I cut two winters ago, it was very stringy and twisted. The wood is also much lighter when it is green. That was the only part of your post that made me question myself was looking at the butt end of the trunk and how bright white it is. Really nice tree to have. I’d be interested to know how much your buddy ends up with from the tree. Once he’s done sawing on it, that is:thumbs:
     
  14. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,849
    Likes Received:
    121,339
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Thanks for the replies. I let him know whatcha all said.





    When it rains it pours.

    [​IMG]
     
  15. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,353
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    I’d be in a hurry too! Don’t want them to change their mind:yes: what did he use to get that log out whole?
     
  16. Haftacut

    Haftacut

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2020
    Messages:
    2,975
    Likes Received:
    17,353
    Location:
    Rives Junction, MI
    I agree. Good point steve:yes:
     
  17. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,849
    Likes Received:
    121,339
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Tree service. He knew he had white oak and specified he was unsure on the pic with the red partial circle... :emb::headbang: