In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Flagpole mounting bracket

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by MikeInMa, Apr 16, 2020.

  1. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,852
    Likes Received:
    114,819
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    I'm needing to get a new flagpole bracket that mounts to a tree. No problem.

    Except, I'd like to not screw it into the tree.

    I'd prefer to screw it to a 2x4, and then fix the 2x4 to the tree using a strap, of some sort.

    Tne strap I have in mind, is along the lines of a long radiator hose type of clamp. This way I can take the whole thing down, as needed. Also, it prevents the tree bark from "consuming" the bracket.

    I need a strap of 42".

    Does anyone know if such a thing exists, or, if there's a different kind of strap-type device. I was looking online, and nothing was popping up. I'll keep searching, using different search criteria.

    I suppose bungee cords or ratchet straps would suffice, but I'm looking for something less visible.

    *edit. I could zip together multiple long zip strips. Not sure how tight they'd hold the 2x4 in place. A little wobble is acceptable.
     
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    TurboDiesel and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  2. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,145
    Likes Received:
    163,396
    Location:
    NE Ohio
  3. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,852
    Likes Received:
    114,819
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
  4. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    Why not a steel cable you can spray paint brown? You could use a turnbuckle to tighten. You can buy cable by the foot at most hardware stores. Lots of hardware for cable too.
    Good luck
     
  5. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,145
    Likes Received:
    163,396
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Yes, you can hook multiples together...but it says it goes up to 20" diameter...so that is 60 long, you said you needed 42"...which just happens to be the minimum for these too...
     
  6. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,145
    Likes Received:
    163,396
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    You can buy that SS band material in a roll, make them any length you want...I've seen them 20' long before...
     
  7. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,852
    Likes Received:
    114,819
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Hmm.. interesting. The cable would be wrapped around the tree. So wouldn't the turnbuckle. Right? If against the tree, the turnbuckle wouldn't be able to tighten, unless there's a type I'm not aware of. Off to search for turnbuckkes.
     
  8. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Big zip ties.
     
  9. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,852
    Likes Received:
    114,819
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    I'm now also thinking about how velcro straps would work.
     
  10. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    If you have a sheet metal shop they can sheer strips of metal. They use strips to hang duct work from rafters.
     
  11. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    We use a bander for banding skids of concrete forms snd 2x4's on the construction site. Know anyone that does commercial construction that would bring you banding and crimps/crimper?
     
  12. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,852
    Likes Received:
    114,819
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    I do not.

    My objective(s) are to keep it simple, inexpensive, and something that can be removed easily and put back..

    Stringing zip ties/strips together, or, velcro straps, I think would be a solution.

    All good options. Keep them coming.
     
  13. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Ratchet straps
    :handshake:
     
  14. Sandhillbilly

    Sandhillbilly

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2019
    Messages:
    4,261
    Likes Received:
    30,749
    Location:
    North central Nebraska
  15. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,852
    Likes Received:
    114,819
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Just wire? Pulled tight and twisted?
     
    Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  16. Sandhillbilly

    Sandhillbilly

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2019
    Messages:
    4,261
    Likes Received:
    30,749
    Location:
    North central Nebraska
    Yep
     
    Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  17. Sandhillbilly

    Sandhillbilly

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2019
    Messages:
    4,261
    Likes Received:
    30,749
    Location:
    North central Nebraska
    Can’t get much cheaper easier and rusty wire won’t show up much
     
    Chazsbetterhalf and MikeInMa like this.
  18. brenndatomu

    brenndatomu

    Joined:
    May 29, 2015
    Messages:
    25,145
    Likes Received:
    163,396
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    ...'til you find it with your Stihl wire finder...:whistle: :rofl: :lol: o_O
     
    Chazsbetterhalf and MikeInMa like this.
  19. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,852
    Likes Received:
    114,819
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    While wandering around HD, I found some 48" cable ties.

    IMG_20200502_124411743.jpg

    I'll see how they hold up in wind and sun.
     
  20. Warner

    Warner

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    7,368
    Likes Received:
    47,698
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    :usa:
     
    MikeInMa likes this.