Noisy damm things....as you'll soon find out Don't remember them being near this loud last time though...Havent heard them in my neighborhood in town this year,that's unusual.But are pretty bad in other areas of town not far away & especially in rural/small town locations elsewhere.Supposed to be done in a couple weeks the DNR & other authorities said.Hopefully they're right.....
We should get our next heavy dose of them in about 7 years, IIRC. The first time I was really old enough to remember hearing them was in 2004 (yes, I'm young). I remember waking up one morning thinking WTF is THAT!?!?!?! I would have been 6 the first time we got the 17 year brood. Good info here (used it to double check my dates). We have brood X in my neighborhood. http://www.cicadamania.com/where.html
In this morning's newspaper a city policeman took a decibel reading with his noise meter in another older heavily wooded neighborhood at the park barely 4 blocks south & 5 blocks west of me - 83 & 86 decibels.Normal conversation is about 60 they said.I know out in the woods at parents place Saturday morning they had to be 100 decibels easily. I was still hearing them in late afternoon several hours after returning home
That's crazy loud! My Stihl doesn't come close to that!! We need to introduce an invasive species that will eat the Cicadas and then worry about how to kill that species when we they become an overpopulated nuisance. We have them here too, but its been a long time on the off cycle and I don't want to check when their coming back either.
1999 was the last time I remember them being that load.. Maybe I am off by a year, but I remember it being a great fishing year. You could throw one on a hook, cast, they flap their wings for a second on the water and, BAM! Fish on!!
sounds like a subtle car alarm. Can't say I have heard them up this way. Crickets get pretty loud at night here.
We had the 17yr Cicada in 2011 - insanely loud It's odd here I haven't heard the Caddydids yet they usually start right around the 21st give or take a day. After they start you can't hear yourself think after sundown and shutup ~4am when the birds start waking up. Heard a wooperwill yesterday morning.
The first time we heard those was in the 90's when we drove down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Amazing but I would not want to be close to that very long.