In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Some splitter action and winch

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by bigfrank, Mar 28, 2020.

1. bigfrank

bigfrank

Get to split some firewood over the last tow days. Most of the big pile had been split for awhile. I did about 1/4 of the pile yesterday, and split some eucalyptus today. Trying to get what I have here split and stacked so I can get more in the yard.

The winch is on a receiver mount, and works on my truck, the dump trailer and the new flatbed trailer. Works good. 20200326_093022_cr.jpg 20200326_162753rs.jpg

milleo, Chaz, Woodwidow and 16 others like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Makes it a lot easier on the back. How is it feeling these days?

Horkn, Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and 6 others like this.
  3. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

Nice pictures! I would love some flat ground like that!

Horkn, Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and 6 others like this.
  4. bigfrank

bigfrank

Backs pretty good, except my whole body is out of shape. Haven't done much in the last year since I hurt my hip. Got that replaced and am on the mend. This Monday will be 9. Weeks post surgery, and I'm going crazy not being able to work more than a couple of hours at a time. Hips doing good so far.

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Frank I'm so happy that new hip is working out good for you At 9 weeks I'd say you are doing really well. Do you try to walk a lot? I'm sure that is what helped me the most. In another month you'll feel like a new man!

I love that winch.

milleo, Chaz, bigfrank and 4 others like this.
  6. bigfrank

bigfrank

Yes, imas walking every 2 hours and the exercises they gave me in the hospital for the first 6 weeks. Now just regular walking throughout the day. No physical therapy prescribed. Working myself back into my normal routine as much as possible.

milleo, Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and 3 others like this.
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

My late father had both hips replaced at seperate times and yes life was a PITA while on the mend, but as Backwoods Savage stated you'll be a new man in a few weeks. He had the first done in March 2000. I was getting married in July. I asked the doctor if he would be okay for the wedding. "Yes"! He was pushing the lawnmower two months after surgery. He was 77 at the time.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    milleo, Chaz, bigfrank and 2 others like this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Yup. I remember my first hip surgery was in 2004 and in 2 months I was climbing trees! People could hardly believe it. However, after the second surgery it really took me down. I could hardly believe it after how good I was after the first one. The hardest thing for sure is getting down on the ground then having to stand back up. Then after the third one, it really put me down. I pray I don't have to have another one.

9. bigfrank

bigfrank

Yeah, getting Down on the ground isn't too had, but getting up is really hard. Need something to lean against or pull myself up with. Did that part ever come back? Seems like it would as soon as the muscles recoup.

10. Backwoods Savage

No. It was hard after getting the other side done and then to make matters worse that side had to be done again and now it is even harder getting up. I need something to hang on to and hopefully something I can grab to help pull me up. I do have a really strong walking cane that helps a lot when I have it but don't always use it. btw, that cane is one I used even in my youth as we always kept it in the barn. Sometimes it came in handy when driving or moving cattle. Somehow I was gifted it and hopefully can always keep it. On the cane it is stamped as Owosso Livestock Sales Co. We knew the owner and his family well.

bigfrank, Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  11. bigfrank

bigfrank

Cool story. I know they use canes when showing hogs and such.

12. Backwoods Savage

Yes, but they have to be strong canes! Best way to drive a hog though is to put a bucket over its head and back it up.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  13. bigfrank

bigfrank

Ha, I bet they don't lie that when you are showing them in high school! I have seen them use canes and a board or shield to help push them. Only talking about when showing them as I used to see it when I was in school. They canes that they used wer actually made either out of hardwood, and actual cane like bamboo.