In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Schools closed

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Woodwhore, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Jeez i was about to throw my cape on and load my truck

2. Warner

Warner

Thanks!
    Seriously, if my work shuts down for any time I’ll have to do something. I wouldn’t mind helping out for a reduced rate!

3. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

We can do that

4. Warner

Warner

My boy is about the same age as yours and looks to be into similar stuff. Make firewood and keep the boys out of mamas hair. Win, win!

5. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Yea if he makes it through this. Day 1 and the wife said he was a real PIA

6. Warner

Warner

I hear you, wifey is still expected to do her job via internet with a 2 and 5 year old bouncing around the house.

none of us are looking forward to that!

7. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Ya, my wife is a buyer and has been working from home for quite some time and is Also getting her masters right now

8. Will C

Will C

Most upstate NY schools are closed until April 14. We were able to put together online education for the High School, but went with worksheet packages for the elementary and middle school kids. Lack of reliable internet in our rural area makes that impossible.
    I am going to work as of now, but I think that will restricted in the next 1-2 days.

9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

10. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

I realize that but they are not standing over my plate with boogers dripping out of their snot locker.

Besides the squirrels around here taste like crap.

11. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

This past summer I made the decision to pull my son from the public school systems & home school him. I was already of the opinion that it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Now... couldn't be happier that I don't have to deal with this nonsense. At least in regards to school.
    He is going to finish the normal years worth of Algebra II this week, two & a half months early and start Trigonometry next week. Latin, a course he wanted but couldn't take in public school, way ahead of the curve. Physics, same thing. Since he went through the entire course of High School level American History last year and never once read either the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution, a prime factor in my deciding to pull him from the indoctrination center, we did that whole thing over & made sure to include Constitutional Law too.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

That does it. Im disinfecting my saws and going to cut wood tomorrow. Does Stihl make a chain saw resistant biohazard suit?

13. billb3

billb3

Dunno about the whole Umass system but Umass Dartmouth has ended classes now for the whole semester - all online classes.
    Some of the local k-12 schools locally have kept some of the school cafeterias open and are distributing the breakfasts and lunches a day ahead to those kids that were on the free and reduced lunch programs.
    Some of the grocery stores are restricting the first few hours in the morning for senior citizens only.
    People are coming up with solutions for many of the inconveniences and snafus for problems being encountered with all the closings.
    Somehow I think we'll mostly survive.
    As long as we have TP.

Amazing that there are still people that think this is all a big joke.

14. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Depends. But best way as I can explain it is it’s a lot like weeds and RoundUp. When RoundUp is sprayed, lots of weeds will die but others will develop resistance to it, grow back more quickly. The virus is something like that, has gone through enough change that viral components are different and new. Since it is evolving, the changes may not be realized until we get enough doctors to contain it and research it. Once that’s done it’s understanding what changed it. Is it resistant to hand sanitizer or certain sprays? Etc...

I’ve only witnessed the grocery store obnoxiousness by video but seen the aftermath. But living here with the growing number of cases has brought a sense of calm: stay away from people. At least for awhile.

15. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

At least with my groceries, I can bring them into the house and quarantine them in the basement for 3-4 days. Literally everything that is delivered is getting this treatment now.

I went to the bank, drive up ATM. Wearing gloves to touch the machine, then to count the cash. Went home and dropped the cash in my safe, and then washed my hands twice.

Opening the mail, you would think there was anthrax in the envelope.

My wife has a weak immune system, so I'm being overly cautious. Planned to totally bug in for a long while today, but I managed to spread poison ivy to my eyelids, so I'm going to a clinic today if I cant get the doc to call in a prescription.

16. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Excellent choice. Sounds like you have it down pat what you will teach him. What they teach now is far from what I learned in school. Rely on field trips, exposure to that of which is important and seek out old and new books. Old books will contain older and likely more extensive information while new may have updates but missing information or even altered. Just something to be aware of but again I applaud you as an educator myself because again what they teach is far different than what I am used to. The state tests more on students than what they are even taught, teachers are forced to cram and waste time while the standardized tests come the following week for an exaggerated time frame but certainly feels like that to teachers. Don’t blame the teachers, sometimes they follow what the state tells them because of data reports. But it’s staggering that the lack of investment in kids today for education as a whole has become almost pathetic. Sorry to derail this but only wanted to give props.

17. Midwinter

Midwinter

Oh no! Prednisone works. They don't always prescribe it, but on your eyelids how could you use topical stuff?

18. Warner

Warner

Dude that sounds terrible!

19. jo191145

jo191145

Not very amazing considering the media has lost all credibility. The old “Cry Wolf” story ;)

20. cnice_37

cnice_37

The beauty of social media is that you can see the stories directly from regular people. So the things you can read from first hand sources, regular folks who have no narrative, are saying the same thing.