In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Black locust Shag hickory and and and?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jo191145, Mar 11, 2020.

  1. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    Look what stumbled upon. Took the back roads to the atv dealer.
    Been sitting little while. Someone wanted it,,,,,or still does. There was plenty of other wood cleared from the property that’s gone. Lot of small pines.
    BL I know. The Shag I know. Looks like some ash. The one with the bark splitting up on it I don’t know. A smooth hickory maybe? The one on top of the shag in second pic???
    Can’t tell from the pics but these are some purdy large logs. Bigguns. I never knew shag got that big.

    47968424-D554-4759-8D37-3E317D8B29B1.jpeg 19CCC9BE-67B0-424F-9939-DC27EE7CD915.jpeg A6DBF44B-F54B-42D3-ADDD-AA29CC6A2CB2.jpeg 602CFA16-545C-457F-943C-2E2BC28437F2.jpeg 073FE73D-9900-46DC-AF7F-9BA56D178558.jpeg 7250CBA3-E186-40C1-82C8-C474DCA3AA6F.jpeg
     
  2. Barcroftb

    Barcroftb

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2015
    Messages:
    3,160
    Likes Received:
    18,625
    Location:
    The Mitten
    Looks like it may be Norway Maple or maybe bitternut hickory. Gooder score either way!

    Edit: for autocorrect :picard:
     
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  3. MAF143

    MAF143

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2018
    Messages:
    1,731
    Likes Received:
    12,204
    Location:
    North Central OH
    Looks like big Ash to me from this distance. Kind of a common bark look not being a pro at IDing wood without leaves.
     
  4. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    So far, just a sighting, not a score :(
    I’ll go with butternut hickory. It’s apparent someone put these aside out of all the other wood. Why save a medium maple with the good stuff. Just my guess :) Thanks for your thoughts on the id.

    Did put the puter to good use and figured out who owns it. It’s an LLC. Found the real owner of the LLC. A contractor who plans to build a house on the site. 33 acres pretty much clear cut. There’s a few nice trees still standing there including one more huge shag.
    Found out they’ve been sitting for one year. Looks like everything came to a screeching halt one year ago. Not sure why.
    Question would be how’s the best way to contact this individual without seeming invasive.
    There’s also a sign on the road from the person who did the demo of the old house that was there. Most likely the logging too.
    Considering everything’s been sitting there’s lots of possibilities of problems.
     
  5. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    Certainly possible. Seems just a bit off to me tho. I don’t have much experience with ash but the bark doesn’t seem to act like ash. It dried and peeled some on that big one but remained strong and dry. The little ash I’ve dealt with the bark remained soft and weak and fell right off.
    Some of the other pieces I consider ash have the bark still well attached. I’ve only had EAB kill. That could make a big difference.
     
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,738
    Likes Received:
    214,835
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    WOW!!! Was that in your hometown Joe? That locust is SWEET!!! Yup, shag and could be Norway maple or ash.
     
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,738
    Likes Received:
    214,835
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    You wont know til you ask. Did you need me to call for you? :whistle:
     
  8. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Those logs like you said have been there for awhile. Could be no one wanted to mess with the big wood. Not everyone has the equipment to handle big stuff.
     
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  9. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,233
    Likes Received:
    50,426
    Location:
    Ct
    :) :) :) Might not hurt. Since I’ve retired I’ve lost a lot of my schmooze. LMAO.

    actually two towns away. But seeing as I live on one border and this is just over the other it’s a nine minute drive. ;)

    The rest of the trip wasnt so bad either. Entered Black Locust territory. Same town I got the score a couple years ago. I finally saw and identified some BL,,,,besides the patch near the girlfriends house. Saw a couple small ones on the side of the road. Tipped over, big flat rootball. Then I noticed the big ones that had to be the parents. Big, healthy and oddly they looked straight. Hard to tell as I was swerving out of somebody’s front yard :) About 30 minutes away
    Saw some other scores along the way, closer, Ash and oak. On state park land, side of the road, opposite side of a stonewall. Betting they could be retrieved without bail money. The state took down a whole bunch of trees there years ago and everyone was cutting with chainsaws. At the time with no equipment it was easier to get it from home. The bug hadn’t yet bitten.

    Went through three Asplundh work areas. Mostly trimming branches. I think they took down most of the big stuff already. There are a lot of dead ash and oak just further in from the road tho.
     
  10. Barcroftb

    Barcroftb

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2015
    Messages:
    3,160
    Likes Received:
    18,625
    Location:
    The Mitten
    My bad autocorrect changed bitternut to butternut. Completely different trees.

    It's entirely possible it's a large ash species too. American elm, bitternut hickory, norway maple, and white ash can all look similar. Either way it's good firewood. The shagbark and BL are worth it alone.
     
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  11. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Those 2 bigguns in the center of the first pic look like maple to me