In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A few great hours in the woods with the son and dog

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Stlshrk, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Stlshrk

Stlshrk

We started off the morning by cutting, hand splitting (isocore by Fiskars), and delivering about a full cord to a little old lady we go to church with. No pix there.

:tractor:

Then we came home and worked on our hoarding for 2.5 - 3 hrs. :saw: :axe:

It was a great day, with little to no arguing out of the 14 year old to boot! I'll take that as those days are few and far between. :hair:

Here are some payoff pix for the FHC family!

20200229_115154.jpg 20200229_124500.jpg 20200229_115245.jpg 20200229_124500(0).jpg 20200229_133943.jpg

2. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Is that your son on the tractor? See the pup likes to help.

3. Chaz

Chaz

I don't complain when I get to drive the tractor either.
    :tractor:
    :rootintootin:

Glad ya both had a great day with the dog and the wood.
    :yes:

4. Stlshrk

Stlshrk

Resized_Snapchat-1187908042.jpeg Here are a few more pix for your viewing pleasure. :ithappened:

Yes, that's him on the Kubota.

20200229_132952.jpg 20200229_141938.jpg 20200229_142005.jpg 20200229_142007.jpg 20200229_134311.jpg 20200229_134609.jpg 20200229_141755.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I like the carry all box. Looks like you fellas got some nice logs!

6. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

You guys (& pup) do some nice work! Love the action pics! How did you attach those prongs to your 3pt?

(I'm currently on my phone and can't quite tell in the pics)

7. Stlshrk

Stlshrk

Chazsbetterhalf , yes he is on the Kubota. The dog, Harley, is always with us unless she is stealing wood or chasing birds, squirrels, deer, bear, skunks... :whistle: Her daddy is a beautiful Setter and her momma was the sweetest Lab.

Chaz , me neither. But, I'll take his help any time I can get it. It gives me the opportunity to teach him that slow and safe actually gets a lot more done than balls to the wall and a trip to the ER. :startled:

sirbuildalot , thanks. I believe I am on version 3.1 of that carryall. :thumbs:

Well Seasoned
    The little cat1 skidding rig, converted from a standard trailer mover, has a screw shackle and a hook. They can both bear the lift from a chain. The prongs are just some Northern Tool log tongs with a hook on the end. So, we can chain coke or tong the logs, either or both.

The rig also has a couple of other slots in it for the excess chain length. :tractor:

8. oldspark

oldspark

And a good time was had by all! Cool

9. Horkn

Horkn

Nice pics, and great work!

I thought I saw a bit of Setter in your pup. English or Irish??

10. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

That looks like as good a day as you could ask for and I'll bet the little old lady was grateful for the wood...

11. Stlshrk

Stlshrk

Horkn , if I had never been told different, I would have called the father an English. But, he is a registered Llewellin Setter. Apparently there is a difference, but not being a Setter expert I didn't know. Beautiful specimen in his own right.

I have only ever had Labs (all colors) my whole life. So, the mixed breed is new to me. From talking to multiple veterinarians about it, I've been told that the mixed breed are often much healthier than pure bred dogs. That makes a great arguement for rescuing your next dog!

Here is what I do know, she (our Harley) is a great dog. She is very well behaved for only 20 months old. She is a wood chewer, but only outdoors (no furniture, etc.) Whenever we are target shooting, she is constantly looking for a dead bird or critter. She probably thinks we are horrible shots, LOL. She's turning into our oldest kid's squirrel dog, and loves it! We hope to take her dove hunting this fall.

RabbleRouser , she definately is. She's pushing 80. So, we did that entire load at 12" lengths for her. Widowed, and her son passed away 25+ years ago in a chainsaw accident. She has a grandchild, but I don't think local...

12. Horkn

Horkn

Stlshrk , yes, I'm keen on Llewellin setters. When I was looking for a pointing upland bird dog, that's what I was looking for. Trying to find a breeder, then trying to get on a list, then logistics,c and the price... At the time, buying a pup that was the price of a nice used car was kind of stupid.

I ended up finding an American Brittany breeder and pointing dog trailer in my same state, less than an hour away from the family cabin in the Northwoods. That Britt was not inexpensive, but she turned out to be one heck of a hunter.

Setters are just not very popular dogs, but neither are Britt's. All of those pointing dogs have a lot of energy, and as such, there's only certain homes that are good for fits for them.

13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Great that you are helping out the lady and your son is working with you doing it! No arguing? Strange at that age I'm sure but yet our sons were not a problem in that area so it can be done. Of course, letting him work the tractor helps too. They like that.

Also, that is some fine looking wood.

14. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Great thread & excellent pics telling a fine story of some father and son time. Priceless. :handshake:

I’m not entirely sure when it happened to such a common extent, but when I was 14, there wasn’t any chance of me arguing with my dad.
    Not only would I not win that argument, but I’d be doing what was told or asked of me, either way. :yes: