In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Car Hoarding thread

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Deadwood, Oct 12, 2017.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

ugly wood needs loving too. I know you have a nice "warm" place for it in a couple years.
    Is the dump closed? Slim/no pickings?

2. Midwinter

Midwinter

It's open, but slim pickings. There was a warm week when the Parks dept. was dropping off loads, and I got some good stuff. I think there will be a lot more come spring.
    Yes, I parked at the muffler shop before they opened, and took the wood from the undeveloped land just north of Walmart. I'll have to check out the cutting by the vet's, didn't see that.

3. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Pear and apple excellent firewood good scrounge. So what if its ugly it will look/smell good and make your food taste good...
    Believe me if everyone picked beauty over function my wife would never have stayed this long

4. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

If that was my scrounge that would be turned into cooking wood Midwinter . It will be a pain to split into normal lengths anyway with all that crotch and knot structure so I would cookie it up into 5 inch lengths and then split it into chunky little uglies for the grill or oven. That may be Bradley or Callery pear though and not sure how that works for grilling or smoking, but it should be fine.

5. Midwinter

Midwinter

I got it all trimmed up with the EGO, just a wheelbarrow full of cutoffs. I wish I knew someone who grilled with fruitwood, I'd do a barter. We just don't eat a lot of meat, or give many parties. I am cooking for my husband's retirement party, maybe I'll grill something with applewood.

6. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Well congratulations to him and you!

7. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

7D45E96B-2FBC-4117-AC7F-3DB62155FDC4.jpeg BDAC1F15-3DEC-48F8-8764-2EC549F40EE6.jpeg
    That looks like it’ll be a bear to split. You might try getting a couple slabs of the big upper right one for cutting-boards. I freehanded with the saw and they came out pretty nice with a belt sander using cherry wood. The cross grained ones checked and didnt work out, but going with the grain through some branch sections or burl, give you some cross grain in the middle.
    You’ll probably have to noodle just To split anyways, so maybe give it a shot.

8. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

That's Gorgeous mrfancyplants ! I've probably wasted so many opportunities to do something like that myself. Always afraid of drying warping and cracking issues with all the changing grain forces, but looks like you had great success. Yes Midwinter this may be a better idea for you and you have good saw skills.

9. Midwinter

Midwinter

Great idea for the retirement party, a charcuterie board!
    I'm saving all my hard to split stuff for when I get a splitter. Hopefully this spring, unless lack of Chinese components puts a crimp in supply.

10. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

It's been two years, but I finally got the top of the oak tree that came down during the March nor'Easter where we lost power for 3 days. Theres a maple left that I can go back for that came down with it, and a 12' section of the oak trunk on the other side of the road.

About a half cord today.
    20200223_164227.jpg

And the 2024-25 oak hoard is getting there.
    20200223_170255.jpg

11. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

2024-25! :bug: That's a long ways off!! What if you move by then? What if you forget where you put it! ;)

12. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I dont get great sun in my back yard, so I am giving my oak 4 years. I see lots of ash coming my way in the future, but oak seems to be my constant availability.

13. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Dead ash scrounges are actually starting to dry up for me here in Jersey Mwalsh9152 . It's still a common scrounge, but not as much as it used to be and when I do get it the condition of deterioration is getting worse on average since I haven't seen a live ash in quite some time now. I think there's more to the south of my area that are still standing. Anyway, if you're going to have plenty of one variety wood then oak is a good one to be surrounded by as long as its not all pin oak which is a bear to split and smells like a cow pasture. It's funny where I live we really have an even mix of hardwoods, so its easier to tell you what we don't have much of ..... birch, hickory, and beech are rare finds.

14. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I have lots of white and red oak around here. The EAB is here, but most of the trees are still alive.

15. Midwinter

Midwinter

Look at you, getting after it! Perfect time, before it gets hot.
    There are a lot of sick and dead ash that should come down ( look at what Woodwhore has been cutting), but there is a lack of awareness, motivation, and funds to cut them. Your average homeowner barely registers a sick tree, doesn't need it for firewood, and doesn't have the money to pay a tree service. Kills me because so much ash will be too far gone by the time it hits the ground and gets chipped.

16. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Absolutely! I took advantage of a few hours while the girls were at a kids birthday party. Once the snow melts and the ground firms up I'm going to move the remainder of next years oak out of the woods so it can sun, and I'll CSS all of this out there for a 4 year nap.

17. Midwinter

Midwinter

Moving wood around, fun times.

18. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

Yeah, I think (hope) once I get the oak to 4 years I wont have to do that anymore. Especially since it will need to be moved again when it goes into the shed, then onto the porch.

19. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

20. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

Thanks for throwing us a bone
    [​IMG]