In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Kind of messed up today, kinda, lol

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by B.Brown, Feb 19, 2020.

1. B.Brown

B.Brown

Headed up on the hill about 10:30 this morning, no big hurry, inquired about a pile of logs, laying in the wood cutting area, looked like mostly alder, that's fine, its good wood. I didn't actually plan on cutting a big load, just threw the 026 , the isocor 8lb fiskars and x27 36'' splitter as well. Filled up the 026 with gas and oil, both tanks full. Got to the wood sight, there was a ford 4x4 right in the middle of the wood pile. No biggie, i got the 026 out and spotted 3 really nice stumps about 26'' on the cut butt. So, i started cutting it long, and circled it, pushed it off the root ball and took the isocor to it. Knocked off the sides, and worked to the middle. Changed over to the X27, boy, both of them really work great on those red fir rounds. Cut the second one, about the same diameter. and the 3rd as well. SUPER wood, straight grain and no knots on the first 2, the 3rd one only had one tough spot but, didn't take long to break it down.

The 4x4 had their wood all cut, and loaded, they left, we drove over to the pile, later on, the rest of the pile was one great big alder about 30 plus inches on the butt and the rest of the wood was nice maple logs, and alder, one cherry. I didn't go up there to actually cut wood, just took a drive and threw in the saw for the stumps. That's where i ''kinda messed up'' but, it's not a big deal, i got some really nice stump wood, split easy, and a pretty decent load, took my time coming home, enjoyed the trip down the hill, saw a couple of deer, what more could you ask for?? I know if i'd had more gas i probably would have cut a full load, but, i've got a lot of good wood now, i don't actually have very much if any room for more wood, so, i'm happy just being able to run the saw and do some splitting. Being retired does have its benefits!!!!!! lol

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Sounds like you had a good day and that is what counts. Yes, retirement does have some benefits. (My wife says yes, as long as your body agrees.)

3. B.Brown

B.Brown

I'm very blessed, i can go up, cut/split and load my wood, come home, and feel great, wake up the next day, and no aches, no pains. I'm almost 73

4. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Yes I am retired too. I am only 69 and I will be honest I cannot say that. When summer gets here and I go to the mountains and start cutting wood I feel it the next day. Congrats on your load of wood and stay healthy.

5. B.Brown

B.Brown

When i go out, i go by myself, i'm careful, i try hard not to get in a hurry, but, can't do that. I've got a ''mental stopwatch''
    in my head it seems, and i get after it. But, in the spring, the clear cuts get hot fast, and i try to beat the heat. I drink lots of water, keeping hydrated, and i'll take a break every now and then. I like to take a roll of lifesavers and have one in my mouth when i'm cutting gives me a little sugar to keep me going. And, i'll take some bottled peach or lemon tea to drink off and on. When i get it home, i unload the wood pretty quick as well. About then i might get a little cramp in my hand but it'll go away and then i go in take a hot shower and watch a national geographic series i have taped. And, just relax, it really works good for me to do that. Give it a shot, it might help you out a little bit. I think that hot shower asap really is the real ''ticket''.

6. Sourwood

Sourwood

B.Brown good for you. I am a pretty healthy 60, and hope to be driving on when my 70th birthday arrives. Playing with firewood is a good way to insure it.

I draw the line at messing with a maul for splitting. My objective is to get wood split and stacked. Using a maul is about as logical as carryI got the wood out by hand instead of my UTV, for my tastes.

7. Backwoods Savage

B.Brown for sure you had best count your blessings!

8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

This turned into the old fart thread...

:rofl: :lol::D:rofl: :lol::);)
    :BrianK:

kidding aside, it’s great to hear you’re getting along just fine at this stage of life. When I’m done with a day of hoarding, I can definitely feel it (47). Lotta times I soak in a tub of screaming hot water. Seems to be the best remedy I can find.

9. Backwoods Savage

Hush Jason. You are getting there.

10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Haha!! :rofl: :lol:
    It’s hard to imagine if I’d live to 90 I’m just barely past the half way point. Feeling where my body is going at this point, another 40 years is scary.

11. B.Brown

B.Brown

90 IS my target age, no kidding, I have a buddy i was in viet nam with, we have agreed, 90 is the age we are both shooting for. To be honest, i had my doubts about making it past 20, anything after that i never dreamed of. I've got SO much to be thankful for, and i don't take anything for granted. One day at a time. "old fart thread" ha,ha. those are the guys you better watch out for, what do they have too loose, they know all the tricks, and if you've thought of it, they've already done it.

12. Backwoods Savage

One never knows. I know 2 folks who had a bet going to see if both could reach 100. One died a year or maybe 1 1/2 years early but the other one made it well past the 100 year mark. Amazing for sure.

13. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Getting to the OLD MAN stage is not for the faint hearted thats for sure I am 58 and I do not look foward to the pain of the day but cutting and moving firewood or the mill actually makes me feel better maybe not as good as a female massage therapist in her 20's but its probably safer :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::eek:

14. B.Brown

B.Brown

No bet on with either one of us, we're good friends, and have decided to do health wise all we can to make it to 90. But, yes, you never know, that's why i said, one day at a time.

15. Horkn

Horkn

I liked the old fart thread comment. I was thinking this was going to be a different type of "broken equipment" thread, then it went into the other type of "broken equipment" thread.:rofl: :lol:
    I'm just just under halfway to that mark too.

16. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I find that a couple shots of whisky works just fine.

17. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

That is because we know how to get done.

18. Horkn

Horkn

There's always that fine line of knowing how to get it done, and being able to get it done. :handshake:

19. Sourwood

Sourwood

There was a man in my area, who lived to 103, on the same farm he was born on. Out puttering every day. His children are still in the area and very active 80 somethings.

my target is 100+. The County will celebrate not having to pay my pension some day, but it will be folks who never met me.

20. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

[​IMG]