In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Going to Texas

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Husky Man, Feb 1, 2020.

1. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Looks great. Hope you enjoy it

2. yooperdave

yooperdave

Yeah, looks real good! I'm eating sammys tonight.... :picard:

3. Husky Man

Husky Man

If you get to the Austin area, the Salt Lick BBQ, in Driftwood TX, is worth the drive

The Thurman’s Choice Plate has Pork Ribs, Sausage and BRISKET :thumbs::D:p

It was all Great, definitely NOT Downtown, but IS my kind of place:thumbs:

722E7BB3-CD4C-4D66-94CA-D593A029EDD8.jpeg 5B1D8ADC-B8B7-4989-B41F-E65705F1B1AB.jpeg B6873222-1F30-4A86-9AC9-2B0B6B4769CE.jpeg 0A39B6A6-F1C5-4F03-8919-98F26E001B92.jpeg 6233DF6D-1D0A-4424-A7CB-6888CBDB65B9.jpeg 7CC5F695-D05C-4EF5-BDE5-8E2957C62D20.jpeg

For those with Kids, there is a Nice outdoor play area, where I didn’t hear any crying, everyone seemed to be having Fun

The Salt Lick is CASH ONLY, they don’t serve Alcohol, but invite you to BYOB,

If it wasn’t 2062 Road Miles from Home, I would be Back, Too Many places to try, and Too Little Time to do everything, is the only reason why I won’t be back:(

Doug :cheers:

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Nice lookin' place. Glad ya had a good meal.

5. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Looks like my kind of place too.

6. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Great looking place ! Hope you dressed warm enough..... ;)

7. Husky Man

Husky Man

Dude, this is TEXAS:faint:

Ah, Uhm, Maybe I shoulda packed more than Tank Tops, Shorts and Sandals:headbang:

I did actually pack a decent variety, but I did leave the Snowshoes at Home:whistle:

8. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

9. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Glad you're not in west Texas or Panhandle, they do get blizzards there.

10. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

..yeah, but mostly the Dairy Queen type.. :whistle:
    :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

11. Eckie

Eckie

Sucks about Franklin, but glad you were able to get some bbq! Interested in hearing how salt lick is...really interested if you get to Franklin and get to compare.

12. Husky Man

Husky Man

Uh Oh, like I said, I did leave the snowshoes at home, ya don't think Ima gonna regret that do ya???:jaw:

Or am I more likely to need a spoon, more than Snowshoes???;)

Beetle Kill, thinks that I might need the spoons more:whistle:

This area is much FLATTER than I'm used to, I usually have at least one of three or more Mountains from 8,000-14,000+ to get my bearings off of, ain't no using Mountain peaks to "Box your Compass" here. I do admit that I have become much more dependent on my GPS, spin me around at high noon and ask me to point North here, and I am as likely to point UP as I would be North, just can't seem to get my bearings settled, it is a Strange feeling:loco: :crazy::eek:

13. Husky Man

Husky Man

The Wife's Convention activities start early tomorrow, at 07:30, about 1/4 mile from Franklin's so I will be there about the 08:00 SUGGESTED time to get in line:rolleyes::loco: :crazy:

They said that sometimes people start lining up, I mean camping out, like teenagers waiting for concert tickets, or a New release cell phone, at like 4:00 am for an 11:00 opening :loco: :crazy::loco: :crazy::loco: :crazy:

So I SHOULD get to try Franklin's, but a 2-3 hour wait wouldn't be something that I made a Habit of, even if I lived here:confused::rolleyes::picard:

I'll let you know

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  14. Eckie

Eckie

When I was there in January , I got lucky that I went on a thursday, and it was kinda chilly (low 40s). So when I got there at 930 there were about 30-35 people in line. But it was great. If I ever get that way again, I would not hesitate to get in line at 8, or earlier. And I'm not a 'sit in line for stuff' person either. Good luck, I'm excited for you! And I really mean that!

15. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Right there with you on the "flat land" vs. "mountains" thing. :yes:

16. Casper

Casper

But they don't have chocolate ice cream at DQ in TX. Kind of a fail. Pappadeaux is pretty good cajun food if they have expanded that way. I usually hit them in the Houston area. River walk in San Antonio has a few good restaurants. While the river walk is pretty crime free, popping up to street level anywhere other than the hotel where your staying after dark might be a bad idea. The Alamo!!! Neat tour as well.

Texas history museum in Austin is decent. Buc-ees gas stations seem to be an attraction unto themselves. Stockyards in Ft. Worth are neat and have good restaurants. DFW metroplex area is kinda boring, at least to me. I'm not a night scene guy and like to get out away from the city. Sometimes in go out to the air base and watch military stuff take off and land.

There are tons of homeless camps under the over passes. If your not used tonite, that is a little interesting as well.

ETA. As you found out, it's slightly better using Google maps than a dedicated GPS that hasn't been updated. They build roads and change overpasses like it's a bodily function down there.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  17. Eckie

Eckie

Rring rring rring...rring rring rring...good morning Husky Man! ....this is your friendly amd complimentary wake up call. Just to help you rise and shine, to take on the day! Now get yourself dressed in some comfortable waiting-in-line-to-eat-amazing-bbq garb, preferably with an adjustable and expanding waste line, and get on down to 900 East 11th St!

Yes i know it's just 630...what's your point?! :thumbs: In case you didnt see it yesterday, they have lawn chairs in a little cubby under that awning, back near some of the steps to the patio. Yes, i am trying to live vicariously through you now, and hoping you enjoy the experience and food as much as i did. And when you're pondering how much to order especially considering price, you're probably in the same boat i was. I figured i may never be there again, so go big or go home! Go get'em Tiger!

18. Husky Man

Husky Man

Eckie, the Wife wasn’t taking any chances with getting locked out of her course today, so we got there at 07:28 for an 8:00 door closing :whistle:

Franklin’s is Literally a Quarter Mile straight down the road and a left turn from the Wife’s convention, so I was parked and in line by 07:35, almost 3 1/2 Hours before they open, and there was already about 30 people in line ahead of me :eek::loco: :crazy::loco: :crazy:

yeah, I understand about how much to order, I didn’t realize until a little bit ago that they don’t have a normal type menu, and that you order your meat by the pound, and sides and beverages separately

I’m normally a Cheap Bastard, but I was thinking about ordering a full pound of Brisket, 3/4 pound of Ribs and a half pound of sausage, so the Wife and I can have some for Dinner tonight, the Hotel usually has several Breads available for toast in the Breakfast room, and I imagine that I could manage to “Choke Down” some Brisket Sammys for lunch tomorrow, might be Tough, but sometimes a guy’s just gotta make some Sacrifices :rofl: :lol:

19. Husky Man

Husky Man

Casper, the frustrating part about the GPS, is that it is not only Brand New, it is a Just Released New Model, that I had to check several truck stops to find one that had already received them, been out less than a month

I got a Rand McNally TND85, the next model down from their Top of the Line Overdryve 8 Pro

I have had Garmins in the past, this replaced a DEZL 760 LMT. The Garmins are MUCH more User Friendly, I’m finding out, but would give me Goofy routings in Truck mode, just too many roads that are “Truck Accessibility Unknown” that are Truck accessible, roads that I have driven for 30 years, heck even the Ridgefield weigh Station/Port of Entry comes up as Truck Accessibility Unknown :eek::jaw::hair:

I’m trying to learn this unit, but it just isn’t very intuitive to access the functions, and Sadly, even with a $450 GPS, you don’t get a Real Owners Manual, just a Joke of a “Quick Start Guide” that doesn’t give any useful information about the Dash Cam functions

The Alamo is Definitely on the list for San Antonio

Unfortunately, the Homeless are an all too Familiar sight in Portland and Seattle, we have seen some around Austin, but seriously, NOTHING even Close to what is common in Portland or Seattle

20. yooperdave

yooperdave

Sounds good, but that would probably be just enough for one person...… :cool: