In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Colder here. What's your temp? What ya burnin?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Marshel54

Marshel54

Beautiful. Looks cold.
    I got my spear at TSC today.:D:D
    OIP[3] (2).jpg
    Will you take me fishing? Please Please.

In all seriousness, What species are in your lake? I have seen pictures of your Northern Pike.

2. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

All you have to do is come to Minnesota, and I will take you out!

Anyways, in this particular lake we have northern pike, walleye, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, bluegill, crappie and perch. Most of the lakes in most of Minnesota have all these species, or some combination.

Up in northeast MN where we used to live, includes Lake Superior and inland waters , which have native lake trout, brook trout, whitefish, walleye, northern pike, perch, and burbot.

Lake Superior itself also has rainbow trout/steelhead and king, coho/silver, atlantic and pink salmon. All these species were introduced, but are self sustaining now, with the exception of atlantic salmon to any degree. It has been over 25 years since I caught one, but hear of them being caught occasionally.

3. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

35* here now and just lit the stove, Pine & Cherry. It got up to 38* for a high, but with with bright strong sunshine, and no wind, it felt like 50. I was doing a few things in just a T shirt outback, now with the sun down it feels cold.

4. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

I noted a few sign of spring today.

The cardinals are calling frequently from the tree tops.

The chickadees are doing their "springs here" call.

The trees all have a snow-free ring around their bases.

Gray Squirrels are in packs of males chasing the females. Some days there will be 4 or 5 of them active in the yard, then they are gone for a day or two.

5. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

Got into the low 40s here today. One thing I love about this weather is I can drop to once a day fills on the stove, saves a lot of wood.

I filled it last night around 8, still had some wood and a nice bed of coals.
    How it looked just a few mins ago.

KIMG0069.JPG

Ready for tonight and tomorrow.

KIMG0070.JPG

6. billb3

billb3

Got up to 40ºF today with sun and a little breeze.
    Burned maple all day and that's on the menu for a bit as we are in a warm spell.
    Burned oak yesterday that was left over from last year and it was nice for overnight and still have a good bed of coals in the morning.
    A little warmer in here than I like it but that's OK.
    Gotta dig up some more oak as we have another cold spell forecast starting Friday.
    I'll be glad when this batch of maple is gone. There's some oddball wood mixed in that is real light, burns up real fast with not much heat and smells like rotten fish (outside downwind).

7. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

Some people here say that black ash burning smells like cat pizz. I never would have perceived it that way, it smells a little different, but not unpleasant to me. Maybe my olfactory senses are not too sensitive,. Rotten fish sounds like a whole different ball game however!

8. Gasifier

Gasifier

20. White Pine holding the warmth steady.

9. Slocum

Slocum

32 and 72. Loaded stove with elm rounds last night. I’ll have coals left for a evening fire.

10. Maina

Maina

26 and 76 still on coals. Getting into the 40’s and maybe 50 tomorrow! Love spring weather in February. Gotta get outside and enjoy it!

11. yooperdave

yooperdave

24 this morning. A very mild night!

12. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Ditto here Dave. The usual teens to low twenties at night and mornings.
    This time of year the solar heat comes on fast most mornings. The Marvins facing south heat the place up .
    If we're not careful with pre 0600 fires, the rooms get close to 80 F by 1000-1100 H. Too hot for clothes.:eek:

13. ironpony

ironpony

23 degrees, NG $50 a month, saving $10k a year in toys uh tools.

14. Kris_S

Kris_S

35, starting ash in the stoves. Just chased a red fox out of where we pasture our chickens and ducks, which explains the dwindling duck population

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

Chasing them with lead helps keep them from coming back:rootintootin:

16. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

We're 37 this morning and we're 25 yesterday morning.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

17. Thor

Thor

33* here now. Going up to 50*. If the next snow maker hits us right we could have close to 10 more inches of snow by Thursday morning.69* inside with some hidden Box Elder I found in the back of the shed. I put it in there about 2 years ago when I raised the roof.I probably will let it burn out. Maybe crack a few windows this afternoon for some fresh air.

18. MAF143

MAF143

41 here with box elder in the stove and burning down some coals. Only 70 in the house and the wife is wanting it bumped up some so I'll load it up again later today. It should be able to bring the whole house up a couple degrees in a few hours with it in the 40s outside.

19. Kris_S

Kris_S

Agreed, unfortunately the room with the gun safe is currently housing a flu-ridden mother-in-law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. BDF

BDF

Funny weather here lately, cold enough at night to require an overnight fire but far too hot during the day to maintain any amount of fire. It has been sneaking up on me at night when I am suddenly cold, and then biting me in the butt the next day when it can be far too warm in the house. I have gotten a better handle on it the last few days though.

Burning wood for heat is a huge pile of variables, some known, some not but all conspire along with the variable weather to make paying attention important. Not that [not paying attention] is ever a good thing but often we can get away with it or at least be pretty casual about it. It is also easier when it is steadily and significantly cold than it is when the weather is more mild and variable.

Brian