In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Surprise In The Mail Today - Thanks CTRider!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Woodsman, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Woodsman

Woodsman

Got home from work pretty late this evening. Right about the time I was parking the truck I get a text from CTRider (Matt) asking if I checked the mail today. Sure enough, I forgot to get the mail before making my way up the driveway. So back down I went to grab the mail - curiously as I wasn’t sure what Matt was up to here. In the mailbox, a couple pieces of junk mail and a small package. Hmm...

Got inside and opened up the package. Awesommmmeeee!! For no reason at all, besides Matt being a really nice guy and a good friend, he sent me a wood moisture meter!! Maybe a month or two ago I told him it was about time I get a moisture meter but I never did end up getting one. My wife and I are on a tight budget with a little one on the way. And I also just spent some on growing the small farm business, so the “essentials only” has been the name of the game lately. So this sure brought me a smile after a long and tiring day on my feet. And I know it’s late but it really made my day.

I’ve tested every piece of wood I have in the house right now. All the wood in the wood cart got pinned. Looks like my wood shed is doing its job! Shed has full southern facing sun exposure and is fully open to the wind - if I wasn’t a believer before, I am now. Very happy with the moisture content in my splits. I also tried testing my hemlock kindling but it bottoms out the meter which means it’s below 6%MC. I’m probably going to be the guy who meters every piece of wood in his stack...

Sometimes all it takes is a simple gesture from a really great friend. Thanks CTRider!!!!!

9F73BEAE-1932-4D72-989D-AFF043728D0D.jpeg

E294F8E3-E510-44B8-9B8F-CA61028AE932.jpeg

B93C860E-D368-4C54-96AC-250B46A30F02.jpeg
    A9D55C04-26AF-4C61-9541-281FF71B7BD0.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  2. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Awesome friend to think of you and help out.

3. moresnow

moresnow

Kind gesture from a fine gent!

On another note. Correct readings will only be had by taking a few room temp splits back outside and re-split them. Then head back in and take your measurement on the center of the freshly exposed face. Pins inline with the wood grain is what many meters directions request. Measuring otherwise is useless with the pin meter. Just a little very important trivia for ya. If you already are measuring this way disregard my post!
    Enjoy the new toy. Good luck with the expanding fam!

4. CtRider

CtRider

My pleasure man, glad it made your day. Now you can nerd out with the rest of us.

5. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Thats awesome of you CtRider :handshake:... Thats what makes FHC so special.... Congrats on the little one on the way Woodsman :handshake:

6. yooperdave

yooperdave

Very nice!

Now don't anyone else go expecting to be getting freebies is the mail...….just saying! :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

7. Woodsman

Woodsman

This makes perfect sense. Thanks for the information! I’ll put the meter to some split splits today.

8. moresnow

moresnow

Please report your results here. Should be interesting. Have fun. You have a worthwhile mission!

9. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

:whistle:
    :startled:

:rofl: :lol:

Great gesture CtRider and congrats to you Woodsman :yes:

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

11. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Sweet! I actually have an extra one myself so if anyone needs it it just came with the new insert. Nice exchange!

12. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Cool and congrats on the future helper on the way.

metalcuttr, FatBoy85 and Cash Larue like this.