In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

High liability or complete trust in a stranger...

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by SpeedShop64, Feb 17, 2020.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

there used to be a restaurant in my hometown that had a two sided fireplace. It would take 36" long splits. A favorite of mine to sit by the fire. I would carry in a couple of splits and ask to put them on the fire. They would let me! Talk about liability! Cool to see a cribbed stack of 36" splits outside the door!
    The apartment i rented when i first moved out of dad's house had a fireplace. It was the deal maker for me. Always had a fire on the weekends when GF was over. Landlord chucked as i had a stack of splits (maybe half cord) below my porch! Ironically he owned a woodstove/fireplace store. Right before i moved out i had a fire going. Threw a folded up pizza box in the fire and closed the glass doors, which i always had open. It blazes way up and they imploded. Oops! A scare for her and i but no harm done. I told him and he just shook his head!:picard:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  2. Felter

Felter Banned

as scotty overkill once told me it is best to avoid posting pictures of politicians and their families. perhaps you can ask him about it.

3. Dazza95

Dazza95

Hi Bob, just in between Shrewsbury and Oswestry; near the Adcote school :cheers: how about you?

FatBoy85, Midwinter and Felter like this.
  4. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

Fire extinguisher on the mantle? Seems there would be a better place for it if things got outta hand.

FatBoy85 and Midwinter like this.
  5. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Grew up in Hadley / Trench area then we had Telford new town.:drunk:

6. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

SpeedShop64 glad you had a good time. My only question is how are you from upstate NY and be 3 hours from Lake Placid..

A lot of our towns are putting in wood burning ovens as now wood fired pizza, subs and breads are all the rage..

7. Horkn

Horkn

CBVT, I have to tell you we still haven't had better wood fired pizza than Barnyard wood crafted pizza, in Burlington VT. I had a half price local beer and my wife had a glass of Chardonnay with our pizza, " the whole barn" . So flipping good. Barnyard Wood Crafted Pizzeria | Restaurant & Bar South Burlington, VT

Getting back to the original topic, we've stayed at a little cabin at a BNB resort that had several cabins as well as a rooms in the main house that had an old smoke dragon in the cabin we stayed at in northern California They even provided dry ( yes dry) wood, surely Douglas fir, with paper and kindling too. I'm not certain if they still have that stove in that cabin, but I hope so. I was talking with my wife trying to figure out what year that was. It was between 2004 and 2008.

8. SpeedShop64

SpeedShop64

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Yeah certainly not meant to sound accusatory, I guess Always assumed the North country started around Lake Placid, never considered how far west it went:D

Horkn and FatBoy85 like this.
  10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Horkn Yeah there are some really good restaurants, but you can imagine how in a crowded downtown 200-year-old city. A new restaurant owner calls the fire marshal oh yes we’re going to have a woodfired food venue.. And we’re going to use college students in the state that legalized pot. No chance there’s a risk there :eek:

Dazza95, Horkn, Erik B and 1 other person like this.
  11. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

In my experience as a Pennsylvanian, people fall into three groups. New York City (self explanatory), Western NY (any thing west of the westernmost finger lake) and Upstate NY (anything not NYC or WNY). There is a small group of folks claiming "central NY", but that's like people trying to agree on the North New Jersey/South New Jersey line.

12. Dazza95

Dazza95

In the UK it’s very common for holiday cottages to have a stove or open fire, I’ve stayed at a few - some provide wood and some don’t. In fact you can set a filter on a booking website to only include properties with a fire (Holidaycottages.co.uk – Handpicked Holiday Cottages across the UK)

I had never really thought about the trust and liability issue until now.

Horkn likes this.
  13. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

Went snowboarding at Killington a few weeks ago. Got an airbnb. Was surprised that there was a wood burning stove there. Instructions said that you were welcome to use it if you knew how to use wood stoves.... Everyone looked right at me. Lol. Had it going in no time. Was a Quadrafire

20200124_091623.jpg

14. Horkn

Horkn

Air bnb, VRBO I expect these to allow wood/pellet stove use, as the homes owners insurance company handles that aspect. Resorts, lodges, etc, may be a different story.