In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Possible Hickory purchase

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by JJP in Ohio, Feb 16, 2020.

1. JJP in Ohio

JJP in Ohio

I don’t like buying firewood (and my wife HATES it) but I really like hickory firewood. I have a chance to buy 2/3 of a cord of freshly split Shagbark for $130. It’s about 90 minutes away so $30 for gas. It’s 15”, perfect for me, will burn next year. What do y’all think?

2. Horkn

Horkn

Not a bad deal at all. It might need a little more than a summer to dry enough though if it was just split. A MM will confirm or deny that though.

3. farmer steve

farmer steve

this^^^^^^^ Unless it was dead when cut. I figure at least 2 years till burn time.

4. Screwloose

Screwloose

I'd say go for it, as long as you can get it one shot. If you drive a mini cooper maybe not so much.

5. JJP in Ohio

JJP in Ohio

unfortunately after the 2nd hickory was cut and split, the original 8'x4' stack only grew to 12'x4'!
    Must have been a very small tree or he's keeping some for himself. Plus he now has the price on
    what is only 1/2 cord raised from $130 to $150. I'm no longer interested. Now I may have access
    to a full cord of 1 yr. split white oak, if he still has some left on Friday. Only $130 so that's much
    better in my opinion than 1/2 cord of green hickory. That white oak should be really good next
    winter when it's 2 yrs. seasoned! :) And yes, I can haul the full cord in one trip in my f-150 6.5' bed
    and 5'x8' trailer. I'll stack it 30" high in the pickup (sideboards) and 18" high in the trailer. Keeping
    my fingers crossed that he doesn't sell out by Friday.

T.Jeff Veal and Midwinter like this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

130 for a full cord of white oak is a good deal. Split and Seasoned for 1 year may not get you the results you are looking for if you want to burn in next year. White oak can take 3 or four years to dry properly.

7. yooperdave

yooperdave

I drove 4 hours one way for a load of hickory. OK, and a visit too. And then grabbed another small load a 2nd time. (both loads were no cost) Then, found out that maybe I shouldn't have crossed state lines with those loads. :doh: Of course, I brought it back right away! :whistle: :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

The only reason I bring it up is to wonder if you are driving an hour and a half, maybe there are restrictions about transporting it? Doesn't really matter now though as it isn't available. My vote would to have passed on it at that cost anyway. Seems high.

T.Jeff Veal and farmer steve like this.
  8. JJP in Ohio

JJP in Ohio

yooperdave, there shouldn't be any restrictions because it's within the state no crossing state lines.
    Yes it's high! He originally had a 4'x8'x15" face cord for $85. Then he said he had another tree he
    was cutting down. I said if the new tree doubled the stack I would go $130 & he said fine. Well after
    the other tree, the stack only went up by 50% to 12'x4', which I offered $100 for, but for some reason
    he's almost doubled his price to $150. I informed him that it's Unseasoned and only 1/2 of a cord
    which will not be ready to burn well for 18-24 months, but no reply to that! Still waiting on the full
    cord of white oak 1 yr. seasoned for $130. He's about 2 hrs. away and seems concerned I can't find
    anything closer. I told him there is no 1 yr. seasoned white oak any closer! I asked him to send me a
    couple pictures so I know what I'm getting and first he said OK Saturday morning and then OK Sunday
    morning but so far nothing. His price is $150 with a $20 discount to help with gas and he would
    sell me a cord if he had any left Friday. On Friday he said 2 cords left. I think he's stringing me along
    hoping he sells the last 2 cords for full price. Guess I really can't blame him. (sslw)