In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Playing With Basswood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Woodsman, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Woodsman

Woodsman

Well, not enough sap in the tanks today to fire up the maple boiling arch. The sap run the last couple days has been molasses slow. So I took the morning to get a few errands done and then came back to work on some odds and ends around the farm. Sharpened a few chains. Checked over my shiitake inoculation supplies. Built a couple bee hive boxes. Cleaned some maple equipment. But before all that I decided to take advantage of the nice late morning weather to head out back to a basswood tree that came down in the last ice storm. This biggun’ of tree here -

9887CC75-3D3C-4353-B179-A378EC5A07F3.jpeg

I posted about it back in early January in a thread looking for an ID on the tree. Wasn’t sure what species it was at first but thanks to a lot of members here I came to learn that we had lost a large basswood. At about that time I put up a post on our farm Facebook page putting the word out there that I had a basswood tree down and if anyone knew any wood carvers I’d be happy to cut them some wood. Well, recently I had a gentleman contact me about getting some slabs to be used to make the body of an electric guitar.

So today was officially the first time ever I’ve put one of my saws to a basswood tree - at least that I’ve known about. Nothing about the cut was easy. Except the fact that basswood cuts like butter. Wow. But the angles to avoid the hitting ground were wrong. It partially buried itself when it fell. There was a big, sharp rock everywhere I wanted to stand. It took me three attempts to find a section of limb wood that met the size dimensions needed but also didn’t have any center rot. No matter. Finally got a nice section out.

A849FC74-EE4B-4104-A080-DF528B52BED8.jpeg

Had to drag the piece down the hill and out a ways. Maybe 250-300 yards. Can’t get near there with the ATV and trailer. This is what an idiot hauling a log looks like -

4A7A6E2C-9CCD-408E-B065-40F3F999B712.png

Not too long after getting the log down to the ATV and then finally down to the wood yard I hooked up the Granberg mill to my 391 now fitted with a ripping chain and went to work. Still not the best using the mill but it went well. I like how basswood cuts with the ripping chain compared to red cedar. Got two nice, two inch thick slabs cut for the guy. Couple hours of honest work and it’ll be neat to see the final product when he’s done. Still not sure what to charge him. Wont be much. Wood is green. Anyone know how long should I keep it stickered to dry?

CD7ABD7E-07FB-4746-A2D1-F9EAF228890B.jpeg

34777676-F6EC-4954-A648-A76F7105372A.jpeg

Later on in the evening I took the rest of the log and made some small carving blocks. Figured if they dry nicely I could throw them in the farm stand. Maybe someone will buy ‘em. That was fun making the blocks. I wonder how many wood carvers are out there anymore. I’d enjoy making carving blocks more often. I took a knife to one of the blocks and it sure was easy to whittle away at it. Wish I had a carvers eye...

AB5BBF1B-DCCE-44DC-B9C1-0BBE616A38B2.jpeg

B57DA6DC-23C8-4CCE-85AE-2FE0E1793189.jpeg

2. Horkn

Horkn

Basswood for a guitar body? I'd think that it would be a little too fragile for that.

I've got a couple good sized basswood down. I should see if anyone wants any for carving in FBmp or CL.

It burns, but a little too quickly.

3. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

That's what I was thinking as well, bass wood for me has always been a very light fast burning wood.

But very nice job on all of it, looks like it was a very busy day.

4. Woodsman

Woodsman

Perhaps he’s practicing on the basswood? Or making a template or something? I don’t know enough about the guitar making world to know if it’s good for it or not. He seemed excited about it though.

5. Horkn

Horkn

I looked and apparently some use it for guitars, but this guy isn't a fan apparently, for reasons I mentioned.
    Basswood for Guitar building

6. Karvinkanuck

Karvinkanuck

I am fond of Basswood yes people still carve , I even turned my kids onto it and the wife loves them , great past time , the ones that don't work are gourmet firewood

Attached Files:

7. Woodsman

Woodsman

Interesting info. Thanks for sharing. I’ll try and get this guys thoughts on basswood for guitars when he comes to pick up th slabs.

One thing noted in the link there is how native Americans used basswood to make fiber and thread. I noticed right away when working with it just how fibrous and stringy it seems. Pretty cool!

8. Woodsman

Woodsman

That’s great. Love the carved spoons

9. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Nice job, really nice blocks, im liking the sanded corners. My son would love playing with a whole mess of those. Hell i think i would like playing with a bunch if those

10. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Good job, using the log ox...

11. Midwinter

Midwinter

I was thinking the same thing. The blocks are very attractive. Might be fun to do some woodburning on them. I would be searching Pinterest for ideas on merch you could sell at the farmstand...

12. yooperdave

yooperdave

13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

If anything, those blocks could really make some attractive toys or hobby wood and whatnot. If they aren’t as good for turning, I’m sure plenty of other ideas would come up. In fact...I’m wondering about those larger blocks myself..

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Awesome idea! Simple yard/picnic game. I love it!

15. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I like basswood for SS. I gave my stepdaughter some and she loved it in her fireplace (casual burners). My first experience cutting it was last spring and didnt know what it was at the time. I compare it to EWP without the sap and will take it over pine (which i dont take anyhow) Splits easy, dries fast.

16. RCBS

RCBS

I have a buddy who used to carve fish out of basswood. Wish I had a picture of his work.