In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cleaning advice

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jrider, Feb 17, 2020.

1. jrider

jrider

I have a fireplace with a simple flue. I’ve paid to have it cleaned in the past but am looking to do it myself. Have had guys do it from the living room and go up into the chimney but they had some crazy vacuum. Also had guys remove chimney cap and do it for my roof which is very walkable. I’m looking to buy a brush kit and do it myself. Guessing from the roof and going down. What should I be looking for as far as equipment goes and how much should I be spending? Imagine I will be shopping Lowe’s or Home Depot

2. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I’m assuming it’s just a clay flue. If it was a stainless liner I’d recommend a poly brush. If clay, I’d buy a steel bristle chimney brush that is the size or slightly larger than the inside of the flue tile. I’d measure your chimney height and get enough HD fiberglass poles to extend a couple feet past the top of the chimney. Usually the poles are around 3/8” diameter. I just saw some nice ones at Aubuchons. 5’ long and nice big 1/2” approx. thread ends. I clean mine myself several times a year. Saved lots of money. When you sweep it go up and down several times for a 2-3 foot section then move down and repeat. For a fireplace I’d tape plastic sheeting over the opening.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    FatBoy85, JoeinO, jrider and 5 others like this.
  3. dahmer

dahmer

You can however you think is best, but I would shop at Amazon for this. My buddy tried it and ordered one after he used mine. Flexible rod, run with a cordless drill. I bought a couple extra extension sections. B42C217D-BDC5-41A2-95A4-A5F9C51ADE1C.jpeg 783F5E51-1AB6-44EB-BE11-DBD1E0FA27A2.jpeg

Ron T, FatBoy85, JoeinO and 9 others like this.
  4. jo191145

jo191145

Flexible rods and a wire brush the appropriate size. Won’t cost much.
    If you want to scrub the throat you’d want long handles wire brush. Maybe something made for a grill.
    Unless your burning wet wood there shouldn’t be much of a problem. Fireplaces burn relatively clean.

Elvisss222, Felter, JoeinO and 6 others like this.
  5. Screwloose

Screwloose

We've always brushed from the top down. Just add a section of rod scrub add another rod till we hit bottom. Then the shop vac is put outside with a long hose in through the window and we clean out the stove.

6. BHoller

BHoller

As someone who cleans allot of chimneys I can tell you that rotary cleaners do a better job easier than brushes. It will also do a decent job of cleaning the smoke chamber. The only hard part is cleaning out behind the damper. Which isn't to bad with a decent vac.

7. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I’ve never tried a rotary cleaner. Do they do just as well on rectangular flues? Are the rods flexible enough to make a 90 degree turn? If so I may look into it. It’d be nice to do it from the bottom.

Felter, FatBoy85, JoeinO and 5 others like this.
  8. BHoller

BHoller

They do work well on rectangles. The only thing with square or rectangle is that you have to run each rod both directions to get complete coverage. The pro rods I use easily go through a 90. I can't comment on the soot eater because I have never used one

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  9. Aje1967

Aje1967

This.

Felter, FatBoy85, JoeinO and 4 others like this.
  10. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

I clean mine from the bottom, once a year go upbrop and inspect

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I have an extra steel brush 8x12/9x13 size that uses ropes. You can have it as i dont use it.

Felter, FatBoy85, JoeinO and 3 others like this.
  12. JoeinO

JoeinO

I bought rods and a brush for my insert liner from a fireplace shop and probably over payed. I spray with this Rutland following their instructions.
    Just got up on roof a week ago. The first time I did it I couldn't turn the brush to be able to pull it back up. Realized the damper must be open.
    Took these before and after pictures.

Attached Files:

brenndatomu, Thor, jrider and 3 others like this.
  13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Is that the Lopi Medium insert??

JoeinO likes this.
  14. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I use the rods and brush JoeinO posted pics of and they work great on my double wall ss. No way you’re going through a 90 degree. And it’s very difficult to switch directions while in the pipe. I have to go through one way, usually down from the top, then pull back out the top. I’m sure there’s better options for square/rectangle, that spinner looks good.

JoeinO and dahmer like this.
  15. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I use a soot eater bottom up through the clean out ion my tile chimney. It will do a 90 degree bend.

FatBoy85, JoeinO, BHoller and 3 others like this.
  16. Ron T

Ron T

Bought one this fall at menards. They work great from the ground up.

FatBoy85, JoeinO and dahmer like this.
  17. dahmer

dahmer

I showed it to my buddy because of his chimney configuration and because of his size, 6’6” 350 lbs. After he tried mine he ordered it and said, “I ain’t ever going back up on that roof.” I bought mine at Rural King but they were sold out. Never saw them there this year.

FatBoy85, JoeinO and Ron T like this.
  18. JoeinO

JoeinO

Not sure I just know it as a Lopi flush wood plus

FatBoy85 likes this.
  19. JoeinO

JoeinO

I need to do some research because I would love not getting back on the roof.

20. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I think they just changed the name a little bit even of the unit itself doesn’t but I have the Lopi Flush Medium Insert Hybrid-Fyre. Exact same face plate as yours. How do you like yours? I figure follow a bit of your advice on cleaning yours and that way I’m a bit more informed. The insert was installed last month and I thought I wasn’t going to be able to use it all that much, but I’m glad I’m wrong.

dahmer likes this.