In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

damm hydro's srtike again

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by The Wood Wolverine, Feb 16, 2020.

1. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Yesterday I took my splitter over to Dad's. He wanted to work over his pile some more. I loaned it to him a few weeks ago and he got a lot done, slowly. This time, he mentioned the possibility of asking the son of one of his friends to come over and run the lever. We talked for a few minutes before I left about it. I always tell the story of working beside a young lady who had a bad accident. I'll never for get it. Last thing I said before I left was to be careful. Dad never had hydro's of his own, but I've been taking mine over for several season to keep them firewood.
    Turns out the son didn't come over and he split by himself today. Later in the evening my wife took a call from my mother asking if she could re-dress his wound, and that he had a mishap. Went to the ER, stitches, bone all broken into pieces. o_O She also said he's embarrassed because the last thing I said was to be careful. So I didn't ask about the details. I'm sure I'll hear sometime. I do know he got it right behind the nail bed on his left thumb.
    I'm feeling like a turd for not being there, but I guarantee I will be from now on. Moral of the story, as we've heard so many times before, watch the hydro's y'all. Be safe out there.

Chaz, Mag Craft, Timberdog and 23 others like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I was watching my friend and his friend split some gnarly sugar maple yesterday and when the logs pop they really popped. Can be a very dangerous machine. Hope dad is okay.
    My friend Bill kneeling. IMG_1873.JPG

Chaz, metalcuttr, Need2Saw and 13 others like this.
  3. savemoney

savemoney

I think that may the way Backwoods Savage splits his on the vertical might be a bit safer for some of us. Your eyes are looking down at the log you are splitting so you see the who end and where your hands are while you direct the splitter downward. I also think that once you get set up, it is easier on your back. hope you Dad heals well. agree, don't leave him alone with the splitter. He needs another set of eyes and hands there helping him.

4. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

damm, sorry to hear that, hope he heals fast and well. It don't take but a split second, for both seasoned or Amateur to have a misplaced hand or finger.

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Definitely won’t leave him the machine again.
    I’m a horizontal guy myself. I’ve had a few finger jams in the 10 years I’ve been using hydraulics. Never any “close calls” with pinches. I did try bending over on the ground but hated it. Much more stress on my back getting to ground level, mainly trying to push/swivel huge rounds into it. No more, that was a one and done event. I noodle to a manageable size now. To each his own I guess. I’d not imply anyone’s technique is wrong. Whatever works for you.

Chaz, Timberdog, RCBS and 13 others like this.
  6. farmer steve

farmer steve

Hope pops heals fast Jason. I worry about my dad all the time.

7. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Ugh, this makes me sick...again...

Prayers for Papawolverine.

8. Stinny

Stinny

Yep... push tons of pressure against a stubborn log round... and chit's gonna happen. Along with the usual stuff, that side-ways "pop" that buZZsaw BRAD mentioned, can ruin a day perty quick too. And, the older I get, the less I seem to pay attention. Hope your Dad is back at it soon The Wood Wolverine ... now, I will try to remember to git my azz back behind me and pay more attention next time I'm on the splitter, or adding wood to the stove, or... :whistle:

9. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Chaz, metalcuttr, Need2Saw and 9 others like this.
  10. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Any wood splitting id dangerous one of my customers opened up his leg with a axe splitting rounds I do not know how he did it but anything that cuts and splits demands full attention hope your Pop heals up ok JB

Chaz, fishingpol, metalcuttr and 10 others like this.
  11. Midwinter

Midwinter

Sorry your Dad got hurt so badly. I hope he heals up all right. You'll be doing all the splitting for awhile, anyway, no working allowed with a busted finger!

Chaz, metalcuttr, JB Sawman and 11 others like this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Let's face it folks. Most things we do concerning putting up wood can be dangerous. Yet, let us not become scared over this; just continue to be aware and careful. DO NOT HURRY when you are working with things like saws and splitters and such. In addition, WHEN YOU TIRE, STOP!!!! Working when tired is a great way to have an accident. Don't overdo it.

I know some really get scared thinking about it but that is wrong too. That alone can cause accidents; trying to be too careful. Just do your thing. Newcomers can not work like those who have done this for years but some think they can and try to keep up. Wrong!!!

Be careful. Accidents can and do happen but we can minimize how often things happen if we work and think right.

Chaz, fishingpol, Timberdog and 18 others like this.
  13. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Glad he’s “ok”, compared to what could have happened. I know a lot of guys who lost fingers in accidents. Went to school with a guy who lost three fingers at the knuckle from a snowblower. My uncle lost a couple fingers from a table saw. One of the most painful had to have been a guy who’s hand was all mangled with multiple skin graphs. In talking to him he was cleaning the mud off the excavator tracks before it froze with one side off the ground a few inches. There was another guy in the machine who thought he was done and spun the track to fling mud off. The guy cleanings hand was still in there, and got caught bad. Just thinking about it gave me the chills.

14. Screwloose

Screwloose

Don't further punish him by not leaving the splitter for him to use. He learned the hard way it won't happen again. Get back on the horse sorta thing.

15. Biddleman

Biddleman

The Wood Wolverine hope your dad has a full and speedy recovery. No matter how careful you are, injuries can happen, from putting up wood to cooking in the kitchen and everything in between.

16. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I just won't leave him split alone. In the past we've had family gtg's to process their wood. I'm going to have to make sure to continue doing that, maybe lean on some friends too.
    He's doing good. He'll be out of commission for a little but he's not the type to sit still. Thanks for all the well wishes.

Chaz, farmer steve, MAF143 and 10 others like this.
  17. Screwloose

Screwloose

I saw a log "pop" once and give a guy a real nice shiner......the day before his wedding.

18. Felter

Felter Banned

I hope he heals up quick. thank you for posting this though. it is a reminder of how important safety is. a lot of good advice and tips posted so far.

19. imwiley1

imwiley1

Glad to hear he is on the mend. I think that bite will remind him to be careful from now on. When my splitter starts to grunt on a stubborn round I turn away from it until it pops. Having a firewood day gtg is a great idea.

Chaz, Felter, Screwloose and 7 others like this.
  20. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he heals u quickly.

Chaz, Felter, Screwloose and 3 others like this.