In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Backup pellet stove

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Woodwhore, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Hey Friends, i cannot find anything about me asking this question, so forgive me if i did. I want to get a backup pellet stove for my wood heated home. I akso have oil but havnt turned that on in 10 years. I have a flu for a bbq in the kitchen, woodstove flu, oil burner flu and a spare one in the dining room. Its never been used and you can tell because the clay or brick whatever those clay colored blocks are called look brand new. Ok, Do i need a liner with that flu for a pellet stove? Thanks Chis

2. unbidden

unbidden

Check your local building codes. My area you only need a pipe 4ft up the flue though I do have a full chimney liner. Once I installed the full liner the draft seemed to be better, more consistent. To answer you question, pellet stoves don't throw the kind of heat up the flue that wood stoves do, thus some local codes don't require a full liner. Also, if you do go with a liner, single wall is all that's needed.

3. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Thank you

imacman, ivanhoe and wildwest like this.
  4. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

My upstairs pellet stove P68 which cranks some serious BTU's in the pellet world has been exhausted / vented into an existing liner that my wood stove used for 5 years without incident. unbidden spells it out perfectly as you should abide by your local building code which here in my quaint little town in the hills of central ma no one has ever inspected but myself. Was gonna say depending on how big your town or rural it is may influence but now see that you are just a few towns north of me in Mason so give it a check but thinking its not to restrictive. I have excellent draft using this technique as if my stove looses power I get Zero smoke in the house, it all goes up the chimney into the liner.

Parker House still operating ? have not been there in years and it is one of my favorite places to have breakfast .

Welcome to the world of Pellets
    Be careful your backup may become your primary ! I get it scoured wood is free but time is not and in my case the time is not there, perhaps different for you but it is really nice to have wood heat without the bugs, bark, dirt and the time it takes to process firewood although I get it as well the enjoyment running a chainsaw, splitting Maul, hydraulic splitter and even stacking firewood.

imacman, ivanhoe and wildwest like this.
  5. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Thank you, yup parkers is still here. Its nice to go sometimes, thats if i feel like spending $100 on breakfast. Im way to addicted to firewood right now, iv also started a very successful firewood business on the side. I like the idea of the pellets but you still have to pay for them but all my wood is free so that will buy me some. I just want it as backup for the family. Ill definitely check out the code for Mason. Thanks again

6. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

Chris......I dont care what the "local codes" are (your local code officials arent liable if something goes wrong).....follow your owners' manual on the liner end. Cheaping out in the short run will usually cost you in the long run.

ivanhoe and imacman like this.