In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The one that got away?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Cash Larue, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

75D02313-675B-4B93-B200-A80FC169C1BF.jpeg Anyone else see a tree all the tine that just makes your mouth water?

This standing Douglass Fir is about a mile from my house. I hike by it constantly. I snowshoed by it today. It’s about 35-40 feet down a steep hill. It’s on private land. The edge of the trail above it is the property boundary line. The pic doesn’t do it justice. It goes about another 30-40 feet down from what you can see in the pic. I’d guess it’s 40+ inches at the base and 100+ feet tall. It’s been dead for about 2 years. I’d love to ask the owner if I could cut it and haul it away from his property below. The owner is one of those guys with a sign on every other tree that says something like “I shoot first and ask questions later.” I also support the 2nd amendment, but he is not a very approachable person. His driveway is about 200 yards long too, so I’d be in his sights driving or walking up to his house. Not sure it’s worth it. I just hate to see it rot away.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Strap on a side arm, to show him you're a 'member of the club' and knock. Or you could just leave a note on the gate explaining your needs and ask.

One thing is for sure, if you do nothing will happen except the tree will fall.

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Actually being a scrounger theres not too many trees i see that id like to cut down. Although on occasion ill see one. Couple around here, nothing special though.
    Sounds like too many logostical problems to overcome for the tree, but if you dont ask, you'll never know. Can you leave a friendly note in his mailbox?

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Ask and ye shall receive, maybe. Don't ask and no receive for sure.