In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gloves or bare handed?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Feb 9, 2020.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

Pretty much always gloves here too.

2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

3. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

For years of carpenter work, never wore gloves because it was easier to manipulate nails. Then worked several years for a company that supplied and required gloves for PPG and got used to them. Saved a lot of wear and tear on the hands! Have always worn gloves for metal work. To many burns and cuts otherwise. Used to just dive in when repacking wheel bearings, changing oil or painting. Now wear the nitrile gloves. Anymore I wear gloves for almost anything including firewood!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  4. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

5. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Many years ago I worked for a lumber retailer never wore gloves. Working with firewood only wear gloves in the cold and normally they come off after I get working a little bit. Got more splinters in the lumber yard than firewood.

6. farmer steve

farmer steve

I don't want my hands to get dirty:picard: so I wear gloves.

7. In the Pines

In the Pines

Yes almost always, I don't care so much about the splinters but some of them are so dam small you just can't get them out.
    I picked up a piece from my stack to bring in the house and a little one bit me tried digging it out with no luck.
    More annoying than anything.

8. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Never used to wear gloves for anything. In all types of construction I’ve done, it had to be very cold before I’d put on gloves. Just preferred the dexterity to being warm. Changed a couple years ago when I was fooling around our school property on the sxs picking up debris after winter. I grabbed a piece of fake bamboo, and slid it into the sxs box. It caught and stabbed me. Wasn’t too painful at first, but after a couple days of feeling splinters, but not getting any out, it got bad. Eventually, I pulled 17 separate splinters out from the same finger end. That was enough for me to start wearing gloves. Now I keep three different types on hand at the school, and a couple options always in reach wherever I work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Eckie

Eckie

I hate gloves. Firewood, farming or whatever i hate them. I have to make myself wear them. My hands get so tore up and split in the winter, that i have tried to get better at it, mainly cause the missus fusses at me so much... But i still don't like them...did i mention that already haha

10. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

I wear gloves most of the time CSS-ing. I’m used to it from my job. At work I either wear latex gloves on medical calls, or leather gloves on fires, car wrecks etc. They are not optional at work, so I guess I’m just used to it.

11. Marshel54

Marshel54

Never use to wear them, but now wear them about 80% of the time. Cheapy Dollar Store leather gloves.
    I was always taking them off and setting them down. When I came back for them I had only one glove where I laid them. Darn glove snatching Black Lab (RIP).
    Gotten use to them now.

12. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

That’s funny. I have a glove snatching red fox in my area. He doesn’t just steal my gloves either. I’ve seen him hauling a$$ with other peoples random gloves too.

13. Gpsfool

Gpsfool

It’s taken me a few years to learn.. Thick headed I guess? Stubborn mule says the wifey. Gloves all the way!

14. Marshel54

Marshel54

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

15. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

I ware gloves. I HATE SLIVERS!!!

16. Horkn

Horkn

I wear thin gloves when processing wood.

I've found these really hold up well. They are almost waterproof even, my hands stay dry even working in the snow.
    They are not cheap, but they Outlast all of the other types I've tried. Screenshot_20200209-163141.png

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I prefer gloves. I worked for years gloveless on the roof and my hands took a beating. I finally found disposable ones that i still could have good dexterity with. I used to use the heavy canvas ones but grew tired of them. Ill buy bulk latex coated and toss em when they get holes. My hands crack like hell in the cold dry air so it helps with that too. I use a product similar to O'keefe's which helps. I do like to work bare handed, but look at it this way...your hands are your most important tool, might as well protect them. The latex ones dont offer full protection from cuts and scrapes but they do help.
    I buy from a company called "Wonder Works America" They have the thin latex coated which grip well but wear out too fast IME. They also have the winter weight orange insulated version which i like when colder. The latex wears well and ill recoat the wear spots with liquid thermoplastic.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  18. Meche_03

Meche_03

I wear leather gloves when working with firewood and metal. I'll wear the finger tips through and cut the ends off and make fingerless gloves to get a bit more work out of them.

Growing up on the farm dad made sure I had a pair of leather gloves. During the winter we didn't usually wear gloves though. We had to cut ice or fix waters for livestock all the time and wet gloves would freeze to your fingers. So usually just exterior coat pockets.

A good pair of leather gloves with gauntlet wrist covers saved the tendons and artery in my left wrist. I worked on a steel building and grain bin erection crew after highschool. Moving a bunch of metal by hand one morning the stack fanned out and cut my arm up bad. The metal was covered in oil to prevent rust and the morning dew made it slick as snot. Guy on the other end of the stacked sheets just grabbed the bottom piece and pulled hard causing his end to van out...so he dropped it all. This caused my end to become 7 or 8 layers of jagged knife edges to slide down my arms. The metal cut through the hardened reinforced gauntlet and into my wrist. Pealed me open right across my wrist. Without those gloves I believe I would have lost some tendons, nerves, and alot of blood....if not my hand or life. Working an hour from a hospital a bad bleeder could be the end of a guy.

Same crew, same idiot coworker. We were driving steel to setup concrete forms. I had started the steel and was moving to the next one. While I was removing my hand the other guy swung his 6 lb hammer and caught my pointer finger has it passed over the top of the steel. Drove the iron through the glove and into my finger. I had to pull my finger off the steel. Looking at the glove there was a perfect circle of leather punched out and missing. Pull the glove off and inspect my finger. What do I see but the smallest tuff of leather sticking out of my finger. Grab some pliers to remove the tuff and the whole circle of leather comes out of my finger....which was also keeping it from bleeding.

I got several more similar stories from that 3 months of work. Work that helped me decide to not do iron work anymore.

19. Spencer

Spencer

Once i started cutting boards on the sawmill, i started wearing gloves. Just too many splinters and the wood just wore my hands out.

I wore them in the cold always as my hands get cold easy. Just started wearing gloves when doing mechanics work, i hate all the grime on my hands for days but miss the dexterity of bare hands. Seems like alot of on-off for sure.

20. jmb6420

jmb6420

I always wear gloves now. I just started wearing them about a year ago. It seems the older I get the thinner my skin is. If I don't wear them I end up with scratches all over the backs of my hands.