In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Gloves or bare handed?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Feb 9, 2020.

1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I don't know why, but I prefer to work outside bare handed. Yesterday it was about 20 for a high and windy, but I still didn't wear gloves. Between firewood and being a framer for 20 years, I've pulled hundreds of splinters out of my hand, and had hundreds if not thousands of cuts. I probably should wear gloves.

Do you wear gloves when processing?

[​IMG]

2. Chris F

Chris F

As a rule no, because it's not winter when I work with the wood. The only exception is when I'm replenishing the wood burned in the basement and that might happen in late December.I only wear them then to keep my hands warm, not to protect them from anything.

3. ThomH123

ThomH123

I do wear gloves when handling firewood. It seems whenever I don’t I get splinters. Where I don’t where gloves is turning wrenches and my hands get nasty. I just feel I don’t get the dexterity I need to thread bolts in tight spaces etc. I have started wearing the nitrile mechanics gloves for oil changes and cleaning parts etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I worked for a guy years ago who could work outside all winter without wearing gloves. I need them for warmth but prefer working without them.

5. papadave

papadave

I prefer no gloves, but I also prefer no splinters, so............I wear gloves when handling firewood. I found some fairly inexpensive gloves in a 10 pack at HD last year that get used all the time.
    No more splinters. The worst are the little ones that are difficult to remove and just bug the livin' crud out of me. Easier to just wear gloves than deal with that.

6. ThomH123

ThomH123

So true...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Chaz

Chaz

I usually wear gloves when dealing with firewood. If I don't, I usually end up with slivers/splinters under my fingernails.
    :hair:

8. walt

walt

I wear thin leather gloves for wood processing , seems I get fewer cracks in my hands and I feel I have a better grip on chainsaw and other wood tools.

9. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Man I hate those!

10. JPDavis

JPDavis

I only wear gloves in extreme cold or with firewood that contains a ridiculous amount of pitch like Pinon Pine or Cypress. Otherwise I prefer to not wear gloves.

11. billb3

billb3

Due to low blood pressure and being skinny as a rail (not so much these days) I learned to dress for cold weather. My extremities have always been ice cold. Gloves are still a must even now except for when I run a saw. For whatever reason(s) I want the tool in my hands. I did have a pair of gloves I cut the fingertips off of the left one to handle nails at one time , but I didn't ever do a lot of nailing. Some tools just lend themselves to being barehanded so I've done a lot of gloves on/gloves off working outside.
    I'll go thru gloves handling splits but that's OK. I don't use my better ones for processing firewood. Especially when working with the top of the line, best in class, premium, high grade white pine.

12. Redneckchevy

Redneckchevy

I normally use the very cheap (less then a dollar per pair) thin jursey gloves when I do wood, I go thru a fair amount in winter but it's just enough to keep my hands from getting cold a little protected from the wood. Even at -20 when working wood my hands stay warm in them.

13. B.Brown

B.Brown

Yes i do, the reason, i don't like getting stuck in the hands with splinters if its summer or frayed wire rope (cable) when i'm pulling wood to the pickup. Plus, getting my hands banged up, skinned up takes time to heal and the gloves keep that from happening. I've been ''rubbed'' by branches and chunks of wood that just push the skin off to the side, that's not fun, and it takes longer for them to heal.

14. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Gloves, always.

I need to protect my delicate hands, year round. Lol.

15. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Reminds me of the book “Of Mice and Men” how Curly wears a vasoline filled glove to keep his hands soft. Lol

16. Screwloose

Screwloose

I never used to but now with arthritis getting worse I do. I have so many stainless steel slivers that they won't do MRI's on my hands.

17. papadave

papadave

At least your hands won't rust. :picard:

18. Screwloose

Screwloose

Doctors told me that steel slivers will dissolve and be absorbed but I'm going to have the stainless forever.

19. Chaz

Chaz

20. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Always gloves when working with firewood.