In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Laughing at the epa

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Backwoods Savage, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

2. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

The new certifications are for new stoves only. As of May 15, 2020 dealers will only be able to sell stoves that meet the 2020 requirements. If you already own it, it is grandfathered in.

KaptJaq

3. billb3

billb3

All old stoves are grandfathered. There is no recertification because no old stoves have to be re-certified. None, zero, zilch, nada.

AFter March xx 2020 you won't be able to find a dealer that stocked up on previous generation stoves and buy an old generation stove as new. Level playing field for all the dealers and manufacturers.

The days of going down to Bubba's welding and fabricating and having them build you a rad stove are pretty much gone., too.
    Those were the days my friend
    We thought they'd never end
    We'd sing and dance forever and a day
    We'd live the life we choose
    We'd fight and never lose
    For we were young and sure to have our way

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ...

Screwloose and Backwoods Savage like this.
  4. billb3

billb3

Given that some municipalities are banning natural gas and propane for new builds in housing and some trying to tax home heating oil out of existence, the EPA can almost be considered a brothers in arms in the fight for the right to heat a home with a renewable source of wood.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Remember 3 wheelers?

6. tim117

tim117

I am currently running a very small cast iron stove in my small fireplace in my small living room. Navigator Stove Works NSW2. It meets current EPA standards, but not the new 2020 requirement. They will still be making and selling them as a “camp stove.”

It’s more like a space heater than a house heater, but I have saved a lot of money not burning as much oil.

7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

It’s not just EPA here.. new houses need to meet energy efficiency code. Requires all heating devices to be 97% efficient there goes all stoves..

8. billb3

billb3

How many of those lawmakers and their friends and families are heavily invested in renewables ?

9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Don’t know.. Really sad part is heat pumps lose all kind of efficiency in 15 below.. Ask my neighbor :jaw:

10. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Not in any great detail. I do remember they were declared a public safety hazard and essentially recalled. I also remember riding one for more than ten years afterwards. Regardless, just because the EPA did it with something before, doesn't mean it was legal. They have their own federal regulations that they MUST follow.

In any given year that the emissions standards, airbag safety standards etc for any car and truck changed, were the dealer ships prohibited from selling the leftovers of the previous model year, that were manufactured to the applicable standards at the time? It would be absurd to even consider that the EPA had that kind of authority.

11. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

It doesn't work like that at all.
    The building and energy codes are a requirement on commercial home builders building new housing for sale. You could buy one of those houses, move in, tear all the insulation out of the walls, turn the furnace into a fish tank & go to a barn sale, buy a 1970's smoke dragon stove and install it. Once it's your house, their domain over it ceases.

12. billb3

billb3

That could be a sticky issue at resale and also if your insurance company does a yearly inspection and decides to rescind coverage due to deficiencies or risk(s). There are maintenance clauses in some mortgages as well.
    For my current insurer my wood stove can not be my primary heating system even though I might/could use the wood stove for 99.9% of my space heating.

13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Yes RabbleRouser But you’re missing the point. Who has the money to rip out a furnace that’s brand new and works to replace it with another model especially having to just bought a house.. why in hell would anybody do that?? On a brand new house you are presumably having built the way you want?!?

if you don’t believe me call Webb’s or any supply house in north east and get % of propane vs % oil heating units sold. As of Friday HHO was $2.55 a gallon and propane was $2.79. Seems pretty equivalent until you research how many BTUs are in each product.

14. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Well written billb3 there’s that too.

15. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Nothing "sticky" about it. I've been involved in over 1500 real estate transactions over the past 20 years. People care much more that a house meets their expectations, not those of a government agency. More and more I'm seeing people taking active steps to keep the government out of their lives and on the leash where it belongs.

Your insurance & mortgage, if you have them, are private contracts, no association with government regulation of commerce.
    Having the heat source of your choice wouldn't impact a "maintenance clause" of a mortgage by any stretch of the imagination. I was fairly certain it would be obvious that choosing to tear out the insulation etc was me being facetious.

18 years in my current home, the insurance company sent a guy to look at the stove installation when I first moved in, he glanced at it for 30 seconds and said, "all good" and left. Nobody has ever been back since. Never heard of an insurance company doing yearly inspections and I wouldn't under any circumstances allow it if they tried. Best to be aware of what contracts you are entering into before you sign. Plenty of other companies out there if that one doesn't want my business & I'm more than willing to self insure if needed and just keep my money.

Anyway, the point of what I said was that, the energy codes don't in any way at all have force and effect beyond the original commercial builder. And if you were having a home built under private contract, on land you already own, they don't have to have any effect at all.

16. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

That is a great stove. Love my Vigilant, may take it with me when i move.

17. billb3

billb3

Good luck getting a building permit if the primary heating system isn't listed in the application and good luck getting an occupancy permit in locations where there are regulations constraining builds.
    If you've been in the RE business for any appreciable amount of time then you should be quite familiar with the dissimilarities of rules implementations on town-by-town, parish-by-parish, county-by-county, state-by-state basis.

18. yooperdave

yooperdave

19. Timberdog

Timberdog

If you purchased one already you are good to go....grandfathered in. Nothing to worry about.

20. Timberdog

Timberdog

The new regs only apply to dealers selling new stoves. If you already own one you will not be hassled. At least regarding epa. Not commenting on Cities, counties, etc. That’s a different conversation.