In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Colder here. What's your temp? What ya burnin?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Gasifier

Gasifier

14 F tonight. Ash, Cherry, Beech mix for the overnight. Snow has finally started coming down steady now. Weather guessers have evolved their guesses as the hours go by. They are saying 10-20 inches here by Friday night. I hope they are wrong again and we get far less than 10”. But. Who knows? Luckily I am on a day off. That is always nice when a storm hits. All you hoarders stay safe in all this weather.

2. yooperdave

yooperdave

Supposed to get some snow overnight. Haven't heard just how much, it'll be another surprise, I guess!

3. Kris_S

Kris_S

Supposed to get 2-4” tomorrow, nothing compared to some of you, but the kids are hoping to go sledding. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

23* snowing burning some birch and tulip. Because it’s not cold for yet.

5. Maina

Maina

27 and freezing rain, supposed to last most of the day :headbang: We got 4-5” of snow yesterday and I cleaned up where the plow went by so it doesn’t turn to cement but I left the rest to absorb the freezing rain coming down today. It’s supposed to change to snow this evening to end it and I’ll tackle it in the morning. 75 inside still on coals.
    Might get to try out the new generator before the days done but I hope not. Northern Maine is getting 16-18” today for the snowmobilers. That’s more my style.

6. Maina

Maina

The sand truck just went by and that’s an omen. This town contracts it out and usually they’re WAY behind the eight ball so I’m thinking that’s a really bad sign lol. Good thing the wife works from home on Friday and we’ve got plenty of dry wood. Weekend is supposed to be really cold following the ice of course.:picard:

7. Biddleman

Biddleman

Rain, wind and more rain. Im getting tired of the muddy mess everywhere.
    Burning a mix of SS wood and a couple splits of locust. Mid 30s.

8. yooperdave

yooperdave

14f this morning. Its good to be on the + side of 0.

Ended up with only a dusting of snow so far.

9. Gasifier

Gasifier

5” of snow here, so far. They are guessing up to 10 more today. Hoping they are wrong.

About 15 here this morning. Spruce and Pine in the Wood Gun.

10. Eckie

Eckie

If the moisture stays in this system thats coming yalls way (up north), yall better be ready. We got big rains (several inches) yesterday and through the night. Really lucky the temps were warm and this wasnt some form of frozen. Several counties made the decision yesterday to close schools for today due to the heavy rains and probable flooding. Now the winds are blowing about 30 mph w gusts over 40. Gonna test those saturated root zones and the power lines/grid today....

11. Kris_S

Kris_S

27 with big fluffy flakes coming down. Ash in now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. NVhunter

NVhunter

We've been warm and dry. 61 yesterday and supposed to be mid 60s again today. I guess we are getting a dry cold front Sunday with cooler temperatures and wind but no precipitation... Haven't burned in a few days so maybe Saturday night I'll start a fire in the stove. :(

13. lukem

lukem

28 with flurries. Boiler has a deep bed of coals that I need to get burned down.

14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

We're in the 20's and I'm still really amazed at how mild this winter has been, especially after that cold blast we had in early November. I figured that with the ground being froze so solid and snow on the ground that we'd have a really cold winter. Somehow it just does not seem to bother me that I was wrong.

15. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Burning a little bit of everything I have Maple and poplar seem to be on top of the pile , whatever is on top is going in.

Supposed to get colder this weekend , right now kind of mild but rain and drizzle making it a good day to be working. I can't believe I am even sating that. LOL

16. JustWood

JustWood Guest

2 days in a row of rain ice snow cycle.
    Half a load this morning of mish mosh shorts uglies chips and bark. Got some hard maple on deck for the next week as more normal temps for this time of year are setting in.

17. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

20 deg. here, about 10" on the ground and still snowing. Getting ready to plow. I-70 closed in multiple locations, lot of avalanche clearing going on.

Maina, Thor, Chazsbetterhalf and 8 others like this.
  18. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Woke up to a foot of fresh white stuff this morning - and still snowing hard. D6CA03D7-8B7B-409C-A20D-1A654550F784.jpeg Burning some big, bark less ponderosa splits. Burning hot, clean and smokeless.

Maina, Thor, Chazsbetterhalf and 11 others like this.
  19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Winds blowing too hard to measure coming down at least 2 inches an hour.. 25* burning dry wood maple 3A2841B0-01C1-4E90-AA5B-E975275EA272.jpeg

20. Gasifier

Gasifier

I would say we have another 5” after I shoveled the 5” this morning. Still snowing now but suppose to be done soon. John Deere 310J ran great as usual. I plowed our place out and then plowed our Neighbor’s place out for her and her brother(Who usually does it, but I figured I’d save him some time. They are good people.)

Temperature dropping fast now. Down to 10 F at 5:42 PM. Burning away some Pine and Spruce because I can check the fire every 3 hours or so. Suppose to go down around zero overnight.