In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sub Compact Tractor Purchase

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Finzwake, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Finzwake

Finzwake

Hi folks...

Could use some guidance on what would be a good choice for a sub compact tractor

I have a small lot in NJ ... very hilly and loaded with rocks and stone

Any delivery of bulk items would be placed on an open area of the driveway and then I wheelbarrow up a hill... I’d say a 45 degree incline over 12’ + and then “flattens” to a more gradual incline toward the backyard.

I get soil, stone, lumber delivered as well as a couple of tree guys dropping off their uglies (not sure yet how to post pics but I’ve got some 30” inchers waiting to be noodled before I haul them to the backyard)

Been reviewing tractor comments/reviews here and elsewhere and, at the moment, I am leaning toward the Kubota BX2680 w/ loader and backhoe. With all the rock, the backhoe will be a real blessing after all these years. A few other items (wheel weights, 3rd function valve, ballast box,...) and my pricing is $19,600

I may qualify for a couple of the attachments being discounted but $20k is about what I’m expecting

Haven't yet been to a dealer but there are several around... not much used in my area at all

I guess what I’m asking:

— is the 2680 a good all-around unit that should help me get this bulk off my driveway and to where it belongs?

— should I give more consideration the a comparable JD?

— I looked into Kioti but no dealers within reach and the reviews have been fairly mixed

Never looked so in depth for anything like this and want to be sure I spend the money wisely...

Any thoughts at all?

Thank you
    —Bob

2. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

We have the L series, 3130 Kubota, 30 hp, '06 model. It has served us well. I think what you are looking at would be a wise choice, especially if the dealership is near you. Usually JD are a little more $$.

3. ErikR

ErikR

Good luck with your tractor decisions. I purchased a Deere 1025r back in '14. I didn't get the backhoe, but I did get the loader, a 47" front mount snow blower, a ballast box, and a 54" auto connect deck. Back then, the total was just about $20K with 0% interest for 60 months. I finally pulled the trigger on the deal when the wife told me I wasn't getting any younger...

I'm glad I did. I get a lot of year round use out of it. It's a giant kids toy/powered wheelbarrow. It's been a back saver for moving firewood and a huge time saver when clearing the driveway and cutting the lawn. I live out in the sticks on 3 acres and have plenty of uses for it.

Go for it. Any color is good, I'm not a tractor color snob, lord knows there are too many of them around. How much work do you have planned for the backhoe is my only question.... The $$$ for the backhoe can rent a mini excavator for many, many hours... Check out pallet forks for the loader, they are so handy!

Fill the rear tires with fluid and use a ballast box or weight rack with plenty of weight. Read the manual, you'll be surprised what they recommend for ballast!!

Good luck.... post pics when you get one!!

Here's mine..

DSCF0055 - Copy.JPG

DSCF8121 - Copy.JPG

DSCF8460 - Copy.JPG

4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Nice rig.

5. Will C

Will C

I think you are the right path. I had one of the first BX tractors with a FEL mower-no backhoe. I did more around my house with that than I have with the tractors I have had since (bought those tractors due to some more property I bought and helping my brother with his land.)
    As far as work around my house-the BX did all I wanted-moving materials, installing some landscaping, snow plowing, mowing, etc.

6. Chaz

Chaz

7. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

I've a BX 2660 with a loader but no hoe, and a gravel driveway that hits 21% incline. I use both a grader box and a blade for driveway work. It does a great job at keeping the driveway up and the grass dow.

I use to take it on the hills at my place but at 67 years old and after putting the machine up on 2 wheels a few times I quit. I jes ain't as brave as I oncet wuz! Dey says wit age comes wisdom.:BrianK:

8. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

You've got a nice tractor picked out. I have the b2650 and I'm happy with it thus far. It does what I ask of it. Would a tractor with more loader capacity be nice for me, absolutely! It would be 1 less trip with a load, but more capacity means bigger tractor, like you, we're hilly and I have some tight areas on the property that I need to get through. If I went any smaller, I'd be kicking myself. I went with the b2650 because it has the same or slightly more loader capacity than the next size up. The hp isn't that of a step up, but I don't necessarily need more hp.

Just something to think about....
    Looking at your specs on the bx2680, will the lift capacity be ok for what you want to do? In the table below, the capacity at the pivot pin is really just breakout force, like breaking out a load of dirt and is nearly cut in half at full height. If your thinking of getting any other implements for the front, and they are heavier than your bucket, then that's even less weight you can lift. You'll be surprised at all the things you'll do that you never even thought of with a tractor!

Sounds like a great deal, especially with the backhoe, which I couldn't afford at the time! Kubota makes a very dependable tractor!

Screenshot_20200204-195921_Firefox.jpg

Chazsbetterhalf, Hammy, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  9. Finzwake

Finzwake

Thanks for all the feedback

I’m going to pass on the backhoe... that link Chaz provided was an eye opener

I’m also second guessing the BX now in favor of the B series... your post above and more research tells me the BX might prove to be bit too lean in lifting capacity

Luckily, I’m not in a huge rush... buy once, cry once... right?

Thanks again for all the input

Chazsbetterhalf, Hammy, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  10. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

In sub compacts I would definitely consider the Kubotas as the gold standard. Don't bother with other brands. Here's a nice comparison of BXv s. B and what might work better for you.

11. Screwloose

Screwloose

I'd suggest that you go to all your local dealers and poke around a bit. Tell them what your looking to do and see what they say. I have green because that's the dealer who I liked the best. As for the hoe only you can decide if it suits your needs. In 2008 I bought my tractor with the backhoe and I took it off and have never put it back on. 12 years old and it's never dug a hole.

12. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

There's always the option of renting for a weekend too. You could rent a sub-compact or small frame-compact for a day/weekend and see if that size works for you. It will cost a couple bucks but will go a long way towards clearing up any indecision. The advice concerning owning a backhoe vs renting an excavator is well placed too.

Chazsbetterhalf, Hammy, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  13. Finzwake

Finzwake

Very good suggestions... and videos like that one help me see I have lots to consider/learn. I hope to head out to see some tractors before the end of the weekend and renting makes a hell of a lot of sense

Thank you

Chazsbetterhalf, Hammy, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  14. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

My ex BIL was looking at subcompacts about 6-7 years ago, and I seem to recall the Mahindra Max’s having better specs than the BX’s. The Kioti CS and the smaller CK’s are also nice. When people rule out all other brands you’re doing yourself a disservice in my opinion. 20 years ago I remember all the Deere guys saying Kubota sucked. Foreign made junk. The few smart people actually checked them out and realized there was a ton of bang for your buck. They were up and coming in the US and offered better prices than Deere. Now they are super popular and more money, and other brands are the up and comers. My advice to the OP. Checkout multiple brands (in person) and test drive them. Don’t buy one just because the dealer is the closest to your house.

Chazsbetterhalf, Hammy, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  15. Spencer

Spencer

I would even suggest you check out a L2501. Unless you need PTO HP, the larger frame size might work better for you if you have alot of loader work to be done. I own a deere and would suggest you check out a 3025 E as well.

If you dont think you have alot of backhoe work to do, dont get one.

Contrary to alot of people here, i used my backhoe on my subcompact quite a bit. I got hooked up with a plumber and did alot of side jobs with him. I also put in alot of drain tile and pulled some smaller stumps with it (stumps take alot of time and digging with a small BH). That being said, when i moved up to a 3 series deere, i didnt get a BH.

Hammy, Chaz, Well Seasoned and 3 others like this.
  16. Finzwake

Finzwake

Thanks Sirbuildalot & Spencer... the backhoe is off the table. I’d say my biggest problem, now that I’m really getting serious, is that I simply don’t have the room for a larger tractor but a smaller one will cut me short on capability.

Have to give this a lot more thought

Hammy, Chaz, Screwloose and 1 other person like this.
  17. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

First I'll say.... I agree with the others. Try different brands, write stuff down and look at real reviews.

I have the kubota b2650, so can't compare to anything else. It took me a year to pull the trigger. What sweetened the deal was timing. At the end of 2018, kubota was running 0% financing for 3 years. So I jumped on it after doing some research.

Another thing is insurance through kubota. If my memory serves me, I believe I pay around $11 bucks a month for no questions asked insurance policy- ktac. If anything breaks, burns, gets hit with a tree branch, ANYTHING outside of "purposely" destroying the tractor, a $250 deductible and either fixed or brand new tractor! Canadian border VT can attest to this.

Like the video above, Messicks has a great YouTube channel and a wealth of knowledge as do the members here

Finzwake, Hammy, Maina and 3 others like this.
  18. Dewittmichiganwood

Dewittmichiganwood

I have a 2014 b2320 standard shift. Bought new.
    F.E.L, 60"mower, all the standard 3pt toys.
    7' & 5' back blades
    5' brush hog
    Post auger 6" & 9" bits
    6' double hang disc
    1 bottom plow (14" mold board)
    Carry all box

Very impressive little machine.
    Perfect for a jack of all trades machine.
    Is it perfect. No. But pretty close.

I find mowing, I prefer removing the loader. Manouvers way better this way.
    It mows well, but lacks for speed compared to zero turn.(I mow 4 acres)
    The loader is perfect for all the odd jobs.
    I haul firewood, installed daughters volleyball court (80 yrd sand - 60yds topsoil spread and graded off, prepped my polebarn site, graded for all concrete, installed 60yds gravel for drives to it,
    Spread and graded 160yd asphalt tillings for parents driveway.
    Plowed up and groomed 4 acres for alfalfa.
    The list goes on and on.
    Very handy little machine.
    Only things i would suggest is get chains for snow removal duties.
    Buy just above what you think you need so not disappointed and yearning for more tractor.
    Fyi
    Wish I had bought the backhoe.

Hammy, Maina, brenndatomu and 3 others like this.
  19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I will fill in here. Mine is a Mx5000. Bigger model.. while brother was pushing snow banks back, knocked engine oil drain plug off.. completely drained oil, killed motor.. I get home :jaw: bota has less than 300 hours on it.. called KTAC they covered it! Oh above is a guess as I was told it was fine when I parked it.

KTAC covered it!! Minus 250 deductible and 260 in depreciation.. motor was over $11,000. My tractor been paid off for 3 years ago, I keep insurance on it thougharound $250 year now!

Hammy, Maina, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  20. Spencer

Spencer

Just my opinion, but i wouldnt buy a smaller tractor just so that i could fit it in my garage. They are made to sit outside, just keep the mice out of the wires.

Hammy, Maina, Chaz and 2 others like this.