In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Testing new firewood crating system.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Jim Barry, Feb 4, 2020.

  1. Jim Barry

    Jim Barry

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2018
    Messages:
    154
    Likes Received:
    1,335
    Location:
    Loch Katrine, Nova Scotia
    Hand stacking after the splitter is still the day to day routine around here. A little while ago I thought of how to make a cost efficient crate that can hold firewood, without having to stack.

    Using materials already on hand, like a 36x48" pallet, 5 pieces of 2x4 and two 4x8ft sheets of rebar mesh, I built this crate to catch the wood coming off the firewood processor.

    20200204-firewood-face-cord-bin-test1.jpg

    At 5ft tall, when doing the volumetric math, capacity of that crate is 60 cu ft. General rule of thumb in the firewood industry, that is equivalent to 1/3 a cord (also known as a face cord).

    We need to confirm the accuracy of that accepted rule. First step was to remove the rebar mesh side panel. I didn't think it would collapse and spill out and to my pleasant surprise, it all stayed together.

    20200204-firewood-face-cord-bin-test2.jpg

    Now to pull the pieces out and stack it in a crate that is measured to hold a face cord. The results speak for themselves. Only bit left was a few scraps at the bottom of the rebar crate.

    20200204-firewood-face-cord-bin-test3.jpg

    Which method do you think will allow the wood to dry better or faster? Loose int he crate or stacked in the crate?
     
  2. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass
    So you're saying 60 cu. ft. loose thrown is the equivalent of 43 cu. ft. stacked? Seems about right. Same language I've heard---180 cu ft thrown loose equals a cord.

    As for drying, I would guess the loose thrown would season faster as it has more room for air to blow throw and sun to shine, but that's just a guess.
     
  3. Farmchuck

    Farmchuck

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2016
    Messages:
    1,788
    Likes Received:
    8,784
    Location:
    Nepa
    I like it!!!!
     
    Maina, Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    There is no question in my book that stacked will always dry faster than just thrown together.
     
  5. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    given almost identical width and depth measurements of the crates I'm doubtful you'd see any significant rate of seasoning differences.
    Witness: Successful seasoning in mesh bulk bags and IBC totes. It's all about dimensions and sufficient air flow.