In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Unstable idle

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Sandhillbilly, Feb 2, 2020.

  1. Sandhillbilly

    Sandhillbilly

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2019
    Messages:
    4,261
    Likes Received:
    30,747
    Location:
    North central Nebraska
    Husqvarna 372 xt. Started really well cold today & seemed to run good in the cuts. But after the first cuts and for the rest of the day it would speed up and then back down at idle and continue to hunt back and forth. It’s Never done this before. I was running different fuel mix today, had been running 100 octane av gas. Today was 91 e-free. Same oil @ 40:1. Air leak maybe? Or could the difference in fuel cause it
     
    Hammy and M2theB like this.
  2. huskihl

    huskihl

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2016
    Messages:
    3,719
    Likes Received:
    21,422
    Location:
    Michigan
    Difference in fuel. The 372 xtorq coil retards the timing below about 3200 rpm for easier starting. Your new mix was causing the idle to be a tad high. Might need to be tuned or just back the idle down a tad
     
  3. bushpilot

    bushpilot

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2015
    Messages:
    3,240
    Likes Received:
    14,366
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    I'd look for an air leak. But huskihl knows more about saws than I do ...
     
  4. Sandhillbilly

    Sandhillbilly

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2019
    Messages:
    4,261
    Likes Received:
    30,747
    Location:
    North central Nebraska
    Thanks I’ll try it. Guess I’m gonna have to break down and buy a set of those splined screwdrivers
     
    Hammy, M2theB and bushpilot like this.
  5. huskihl

    huskihl

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2016
    Messages:
    3,719
    Likes Received:
    21,422
    Location:
    Michigan
    They do make it considerably easier to tune this type of carburetor. Fortunately they are really inexpensive on eBay for a whole set
     
    M2theB, Hammy and Sandhillbilly like this.